Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drove Today. Bought Today. Confirmed Today. Watch Out Austin....P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on the new car! I'm one of those annoying newbies to Austin, btw. As much as you think traffic is bad and homes are expensive, it's still MILES better than SF or Boston, the two places I've lived previously. Anyway, I went for my test drive today and holy crap I can't believe how much I enjoyed this car. I'm not in the P85 category, but I am trying to justify a way to get an S85 instead of an S60.

I own a 60 in Austin and have no regrets about not spending the extra $8000 for the 85. I can't think of anywhere I would go that a 85 would get me there but not a 60. Perhaps Kerrville for the day and back? We'll have a supercharger soon to go to Dallas or Houston, and with the supercharger in San Marcos a day trip to San Antonio and back is easy. We went to Marble Falls today for lunch and had 71 rated miles left when we got home. I would like to be able to drive to South Padre Island, but a 85 couldn't make it there either.

Congratulations texex91. It is quite hard to decide all these options. I went back and forth and around and around myself. I'm happy with my S85 with 21" wheels, but P85+ is a great choice if you have great places to drive them. I might have ended up with one if they were available 8 months ago.

Hey J -

New people to A I started with 60, then 85, then P85+. As you go through the 'do I need this or that' option, you can start to justify things pretty quickly. For me coming from a sports car, it was a pretty quick ramp to P85+.!

I own a 60 in Austin and have no regrets about not spending the extra $8000 for the 85. I can't think of anywhere I would go that a 85 would get me there but not a 60. Perhaps Kerrville for the day and back? We'll have a supercharger soon to go to Dallas or Houston, and with the supercharger in San Marcos a day trip to San Antonio and back is easy. We went to Marble Falls today for lunch and had 71 rated miles left when we got home. I would like to be able to drive to South Padre Island, but a 85 couldn't make it there either.

All great points. The one thing I am expecting is using the Tesla more than most cars in the past. Having range is a good thing.

Congratulations texex91. It is quite hard to decide all these options. I went back and forth and around and around myself. I'm happy with my S85 with 21" wheels, but P85+ is a great choice if you have great places to drive them. I might have ended up with one if they were available 8 months ago.

Thanks! I really was going to get S85, but of course they didn't have one for the drive, just P85+ (great marketing). After testing suspension and handling, and not having anything to compare, I just said okay. I think all version of the S are awesome.

Hope you've been enjoying it. Love the 21" tires as well.

Congrats on the new car! I'm one of those annoying newbies to Austin, btw. As much as you think traffic is bad and homes are expensive, it's still MILES better than SF or Boston, the two places I've lived previously. Anyway, I went for my test drive today and holy crap I can't believe how much I enjoyed this car. I'm not in the P85 category, but I am trying to justify a way to get an S85 instead of an S60. The tough part is convincing the wife :) One good thing is the great safety rating and the fact that we're having our first child in December. The bad part is that I just leased my Tundra last January (before I had a daily driven commute)

Welcome to Texas.
Hope you find the local hospitality to your liking.

If you love the S60, then go for it.
It is an amazingly versatile vehicle for a young family, and it would allow you to get other Options that you might use more often (parking sensors, pano roof, tech package, etc.)
I know two folks who have the S60, and they LOVE their cars as is, no doubt about it.
The S60 has plenty of mileage capacity for almost everyone for their daily drive and commute: you will leave with a full charge every morning.

If you are having even minor reservations about eventual range should you decide to travel in your MS, the S85 is the way to go due to the slightly greater range.
A possible other Option for you while traveling, would be willing to research and recon and to visit RV parks that have 240 V outlets, should you stray off the soon to be established Supercharger network.

Best of luck with your decision.

Congrats on the new car! I'm one of those annoying newbies to Austin, btw. As much as you think traffic is bad and homes are expensive, it's still MILES better than SF or Boston, the two places I've lived previously. Anyway, I went for my test drive today and holy crap I can't believe how much I enjoyed this car. I'm not in the P85 category, but I am trying to justify a way to get an S85 instead of an S60. The tough part is convincing the wife :) One good thing is the great safety rating and the fact that we're having our first child in December. The bad part is that I just leased my Tundra last January (before I had a daily driven commute)

Congrats and welcome! I agree, definitely consider the S85 with the distances between the major cities in Texas. Even with the Superchargers it just makes things easier but isn't mandatory of course.

Nice! This is the kinda stuff I like to hear. Honestly I don't want a ton of options, but I would prefer to put in leather, pano, carbon fiber dash, tech package, and supercharger access, that's all. The rest I don't need/want. The jump seats are cool, but not $2,500 cool, especially since we're just beginning to have kids now so those seats wouldn't be useable for like 6-7 years. By then I'd probably have a new car, anyway, I rarely keep one longer than 3 years. Last night I was going over the options difference with a stripped down S85 where it's just pano and tech vs a 60 with all the options I wanted. The monthly payment difference is maybe $100, which isn't too bad, but I guess it will make a difference long term. Plus, I'm 6'5", I'm pretty sure even in the front I need that pano roof's clearance.

VIN ASSIGNED 218xx!

Tesla rep called from Colorado, and walked me through the process.

He said about Sept 16th (or earlier for production) and should ship by the end of that week. Should arrive last week of Sept or sooner.

Said the 'so called 5 hours of quality control' is down to hours or less now--hmmm. Sounds like they are rushing as many through by months end.

Anyway, all good so far. They are very good at communication, I will give them that.

Last edited:
Great news about the VIN, Tex!

Said the 'so called 5 hours of quality control' is down to hours or less now--hmmm. Sounds like they are rushing as many through by months end.

This is the kind of thing that happens with increased production/operational expansion. Hopefully, overall quality doesn't suffer as result. Many other companies (who shall remain nameless) have sacrificed quality to increased profits.

Sept 26th delivery or earlier. Emailed today saying production this week, most likely next. 26th might be pushed up a few days--OK!

These guys are on it! Said its because its a P85+ that I got and earlier slot. Ok!

Dreaming Tesla!

PS - for those waiting to order, pull the trigger now. They are cranking out as many as possible by quarter end. JUST DO IT!

Last edited:
Congrats texex! Post pics when you get the car!
So much for Texas banning tesla sales, (or has that been resolved?)
i just don't understand why the state would want to ban the sales of taxable items, seems like a loss of tax revenue!
oh we'll glad you guys are still able to get these amazing cars, and once again post as many pics as possible!

Sept 26th delivery or earlier. Emailed today saying production this week, most likely next. 26th might be pushed up a few days--OK!

These guys are on it! Said its because its a P85+ that I got and earlier slot. Ok!

Dreaming Tesla!

PS - for those waiting to order, pull the trigger now. They are cranking out as many as possible by quarter end. JUST DO IT!

Congrats Tex! I also placed an order on 8/31 for P85+ and finalized the next night. Still waiting to hear about my VIN and production plan but did get an email on Labor Day saying I was approved for Tesla financing through US Bank. Going to have to make a call tomorrow to the mother ship to check if I can get my order cracking!

This will be my 4th EV, but first with 4 wheels. Had a Vectrix maxi scooter about 5 years ago. Loved it but the NIMH batteries had me worried about failure so I bought a Zero DS in 2010. Colorado was dishing out a near 50% state rebate on EV motorcycles at the time so the bike was such a deal. Zero then traded me up to a 2011 DS after some warranty woes last year. Now we have another kid on the way so time for the motorcycle to go away. I also sold my 2012 45th Edition Camaro Vert last week to make room for the MS! Looking forward to getting back into the plugin lifestyle, but now with some American electric muscle!

Congrats texex! Post pics when you get the car!
So much for Texas banning tesla sales, (or has that been resolved?)
i just don't understand why the state would want to ban the sales of taxable items, seems like a loss of tax revenue!
oh we'll glad you guys are still able to get these amazing cars, and once again post as many pics as possible!

Thanks AMP'd! Ah, the all mighty Texas Government (and Tx Auto Dealers Lobby)--going to try and make it difficult. No problem, they don't scare Tesla. There is always a work around. Still have to pay taxes on it in Texas (6.25%), but they just make the process difficult. For this car I'm happy to do it! And yes--trust me pics will be posted same day!

Congrats Tex! I also placed an order on 8/31 for P85+ and finalized the next night. Still waiting to hear about my VIN and production plan but did get an email on Labor Day saying I was approved for Tesla financing through US Bank. Going to have to make a call tomorrow to the mother ship to check if I can get my order cracking!

This will be my 4th EV, but first with 4 wheels. Had a Vectrix maxi scooter about 5 years ago. Loved it but the NIMH batteries had me worried about failure so I bought a Zero DS in 2010. Colorado was dishing out a near 50% state rebate on EV motorcycles at the time so the bike was such a deal. Zero then traded me up to a 2011 DS after some warranty woes last year. Now we have another kid on the way so time for the motorcycle to go away. I also sold my 2012 45th Edition Camaro Vert last week to make room for the MS! Looking forward to getting back into the plugin lifestyle, but now with some American electric muscle!

Right back at ya--AWESOME! Glad you got a P85+!! What an amazing car and I'm sure you're super excited. Sad that I'm having dreams (literally) about the Tesla--powerful stuff :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks AMP'd! Ah, the all mighty Texas Government (and Tx Auto Dealers Lobby)--going to try and make it difficult. No problem, they don't scare Tesla. There is always a work around. Still have to pay taxes on it in Texas (6.25%), but they just make the process difficult. For this car I'm happy to do it! And yes--trust me pics will be posted same day!

Right back at ya--AWESOME! Glad you got a P85+!! What an amazing car and I'm sure you're super excited. Sad that I'm having dreams (literally) about the Tesla--powerful stuff :biggrin:

Oh yeah. Beyond excited. I have a son to be born in late Oct/Early Nov to two HUGE events coming up in my life. Having a boy is a bit more exciting in the long run but the MS will just make it sweeter!

Oh yeah. Beyond excited. I have a son to be born in late Oct/Early Nov to two HUGE events coming up in my life. Having a boy is a bit more exciting in the long run but the MS will just make it sweeter!

Welcome to TMC, rewski, and congratulations on the upcoming additions to your household! It's a great time to buy an S in Colorado, what with our first two Superchargers under construction on the Western slope.

Congrats to you, too!

How do you like the Zero DS? I've been tempted by one of those, as well, to replace my aging Beamer

I loved the Zero! Just in a spot in my life that use would be very limited (doesn't transport kids too well). The newest bikes are amazing and I'm sure the 2014 will be even more impressive. Motorcycles really are an ideal platform for EV tech to mature and remain affordable.