Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test my 50 amp charger in Toronto, Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just installed a ChargePoint Flex Home Charger and am looking for someone with a Tesla (S, X, or LR 3) to test it at 48 or 50 amps. I have an older EV which is not capable of charging at high amperage. I’m in Etobicoke close to the airport. Please message me privately if you’re willing to help me test it. Thanks in advance!

Hi, I just installed a ChargePoint Flex Home Charger and am looking for someone with a Tesla (S, X, or LR 3) to test it at 48 or 50 amps. I have an older EV which is not capable of charging at high amperage. I’m in Etobicoke close to the airport. Please message me privately if you’re willing to help me test it. Thanks in advance!

Hard to explain why, but what you are asking for is a waste of time. Do you go around to all you outlets and run a hairdrier on then to see if they can really deliver 15A? No - you do your work correctly and have it inspected. You never say "lets plug in and see, maybe there will be a fire".

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Did you install your own wires and breaker or did you get them installed?

I suppose that the correct wires have been used,
however if you want to check if your wires are the correct size for the load
you need to determine which wires have been used and measure the length of the line.

I would recommend then using a Voltage drop calculator ( Excel tool file ) to determine if the line will not get too much heat losses.

It would be great, you are right, to plug an EV such as a Tesla,
because you could read the delivered Voltage when charging with different Amp values.
This will give you idea of the real load capacity of your installation and check for voltage drop.

For high intensity, I believe that you need to have a 10 to 20 minutes load to really test your system for possible overheating.

If you have an electrical range oven, then you could use it instead of using an EV.
Then with a Voltmeter, and an Amperage probe (in general commercial voltmeters cannot measure more that 5 to 10 Amp)
you could make similar measurements.

Note: Do you really need to charge at 50 Amp (40 Amp 80% nominal) ? For most users a 30 Amp (24 A nominal) will be sufficient,
as you will get about 20 miles/hour or about 200 miles after a 10 hours night charge.

I have a Model 3 LR and a 30 Amp give me about 10% of charge per hour.

Last edited:
Hard to explain why, but what you are asking for is a waste of time. Do you go around to all you outlets and run a hairdrier on then to see if they can really deliver 15A? No - you do your work correctly and have it inspected. You never say "lets plug in and see, maybe there will be a fire".
Disagree, man. The Chargepoint Flex is a configurable wall connector, like the Tesla wall connector is. Do you remember how many threads we've had here on the forum about people first using their wall connectors and then discovering that it was not configured properly on the internal switch when it was installed by the electrician, and will now only deliver 12A instead of 48 that it was properly wired and breakered for? I've seen several of those threads. Same deal with this. It would be nice to check if the Chargepoint Flex was configured properly to use its full capability instead of discovering that unpleasant surprise later when it needs to be used.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
Disagree, man. The Chargepoint Flex is a configurable wall connector, like the Tesla wall connector is. Do you remember how many threads we've had here on the forum about people first using their wall connectors and then discovering that it was not configured properly on the internal switch when it was installed by the electrician, and will now only deliver 12A instead of 48 that it was properly wired and breakered for? I've seen several of those threads. Same deal with this. It would be nice to check if the Chargepoint Flex was configured properly to use its full capability instead of discovering that unpleasant surprise later when it needs to be used.

Breaker size, wire size, etc can all be verified by looking at them.

I don't mean pointless in an absolute sense, but all the testing options are so expensive that they are hardly worth it. And asking someone who owns a Tesla to come to your house and render such services is the most expensive of them all (were it not free). If you've ever done "small favors" for people you'd know what I'm talking about. They often don't think about the value of the other person's time and ask for things they don't really need.

Great if someone wants to socialize, meet other Tesla owners, etc.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't mean pointless in an absolute sense, but all the testing options are so expensive that they are hardly worth it. And asking someone who owns a Tesla to come to your house and render such services is the most expensive of them all (were it not free). If you've ever done "small favors" for people you'd know what I'm talking about. They often don't think about the value of the other person's time and ask for things they don't really need.
o_O o_O
What. In. The. World? Seeing if someone is interested in stopping by to hook up to charge for a few minutes to see if it works right seems like a pretty insignificant favor to ask if someone lives in the area. "expensive"? "render services"? I can't even figure out what kind of perspective you're coming from. It's not a big deal.

o_O o_O
What. In. The. World? Seeing if someone is interested in stopping by to hook up to charge for a few minutes to see if it works right seems like a pretty insignificant favor to ask if someone lives in the area. "expensive"? "render services"? I can't even figure out what kind of perspective you're coming from. It's not a big deal.

If you want to socialize, as I said, it might be fun for some people to meet ev owners, but its not like something this person really needs. It charges their EV just fine.

Tired of fixing people's computers is the perspective I'm coming from - not the same exactly, but what a nightmare.

Last edited: