Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test of Parking Dynamics Electromagnetic sensors with very impressive results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't. That's what Im trying to figure out. I sure don't want to drill holes without knowing what's behind.

I got this system too and got a guy tapped to do the install (not as handy/brave as artci). I'm curious to see how yours works out first. He wants to put the sensors in the bumper though rather than the cone. Love to see how you end up doing it.

There are people who have put in front US sensors. I would imagine the wiring is essentially the same - no?

I got this system too and got a guy tapped to do the install (not as handy/brave as artci). I'm curious to see how yours works out first. He wants to put the sensors in the bumper though rather than the cone. Love to see how you end up doing it.

There are people who have put in front US sensors. I would imagine the wiring is essentially the same - no?

I should be able to set this up for a trial run on the car, even if I don't run wiring for the controls into the dash. The wiring for this system is different I believe. The foil strips connect to the ECU via a LMR 100 coaxial cable. So you can use LMR 100 coaxial cable hardware for all of the connections. I'm hoping that the nose cone approach I've used will provide the needed protection and that a bumper install will not be necessary.

Now that I've had the car I've found that the back-up camera provides all the protection I need for the rear.

I finished the entire set up today. We have a winner!

The Parking Dynamic system with the way I set up the foil electro magnetics sensor in the nose cone works perfectly. When I pulled into my curbside parking space it started beeping when I was about 12" from the curb (a 6" beauty that could do some major damage to the front bumper). I stopped moving forward when it beeped in rapid 3 pulse tones. At that point the lower extremity of the bumper was 3 inches from the curb.

I'm going to to some more testing this week but it looks like the nose cone set-up works very well and running the foil strip in the bumper is unnecessary.

I finished the entire set up today. We have a winner!

The Parking Dynamic system with the way I set up the foil electro magnetics sensor in the nose cone works perfectly. When I pulled into my curbside parking space it started beeping when I was about 12" from the curb (a 6" beauty that could do some major damage to the front bumper). I stopped moving forward when it beeped in rapid 3 pulse tones. At that point the lower extremity of the bumper was 3 inches from the curb.

I'm going to to some more testing this week but it looks like the nose cone set-up works very well and running the foil strip in the bumper is unnecessary.
So you are saying that the side front bumpers do not need protection because they are covered by the nose come protection?

Further testing of Parking Dynamics electromagnetic system in nose cone fail

Further testing of the Parking Dynamics system I installed in the nose cone were a complete bust. I even went so far as to remove the nose cone and reinstall the system today with the same disappointing results -- it senses nothing. The very good results I got in my first test a week ago most have been an anomaly of some kind, as I've not been able to replicate it under any circumstances. In science that would be a failed experiment and it is here as well.

Most likely the installation in the nose cone is a failure because there's no way to tape the foil strip without getting it very close to the metal crash protection beam that the nose cone encapsulates. Parking Dynamics warns that the system is compromised if the sensor tape is placed too close metal structural elements. That probably explains why the system worked in my family room tests when it wasn't attached to the car but failed on the car.

This system may very well work in the bumper itself but I at the moment I have neither the time or interest to try. In fact, I'm very hopeful that Tesla will offer a front bumper parking protection upgrade of some kind that's integrated with the touch screen. If it's fairly priced I'll buy it in a flash.

I apologize if my earlier posts misled anyone into buying this system with the intention of installing it in the nose cone. I can say for certain that it won't work there.

Further testing of the Parking Dynamics system I installed in the nose cone were a complete bust. I even went so far as to remove the nose cone and reinstall the system today with the same disappointing results -- it senses nothing. The very good results I got in my first test a week ago most have been an anomaly of some kind, as I've not been able to replicate it under any circumstances. In science that would be a failed experiment and it is here as well.

Most likely the installation in the nose cone is a failure because there's no way to tape the foil strip without getting it very close to the metal crash protection beam that the nose cone encapsulates. Parking Dynamics warns that the system is compromised if the sensor tape is placed too close metal structural elements. That probably explains why the system worked in my family room tests when it wasn't attached to the car but failed on the car.

This system may very well work in the bumper itself but I at the moment I have neither the time or interest to try. In fact, I'm very hopeful that Tesla will offer a front bumper parking protection upgrade of some kind that's integrated with the touch screen. If it's fairly priced I'll buy it in a flash.

I apologize if my earlier posts misled anyone into buying this system with the intention of installing it in the nose cone. I can say for certain that it won't work there.

I bought the system but was intending to install it in the bumpers (front and rear). Since then, it seems like Tesla it going to offer US sensors integrated into the car. This wouldn't be such a deal except I suspect it will also allow adaptive cruise which would be nice. I, like you, will just wait until Tesla offers the sensors. Hope it's soon. I have the system packaged in a box. I might offer it on ebay,,,

Thanks for the feedback though.

I bought the system but was intending to install it in the bumpers (front and rear). Since then, it seems like Tesla it going to offer US sensors integrated into the car. This wouldn't be such a deal except I suspect it will also allow adaptive cruise which would be nice. I, like you, will just wait until Tesla offers the sensors. Hope it's soon. I have the system packaged in a box. I might offer it on ebay,,,

Thanks for the feedback though.

Fingers crossed that Tesla will offer this as an upgrade.