Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test receptacle for NEMA 10-50 adapter - NOVA/DC area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Short Version: I'm looking for a place to test my newly made NEMA 10-50P to 14-50R adapter in the NOVA or Rockville/Bethesda MD area.

Long Version: I travel to Richmond regularly for conventions and the parking garages near the convention center have NEMA 10-50P's in them:
RichmondParkingOutlet.jpeg

I recently made a NEMA 10-50P to 14-50R adapter (shoutout to @Cosmacelf ) and it looks to have turned out decently:
2018-02-19_13-37-44_688.jpeg

2018-02-19_13-42-33_846.jpeg

2018-02-19_13-44-54_416.jpeg

But, as my schedule will be such that I'll be in the convention all day, I'd like not to leave the car and an high-current adapter unattended without having tested it first.

For conservatisms sake, I'll probably dial it down to 24A the first day just to be cautious, especially if I can't test first.

Thus, if anybody is aware of a location with a 10-50R where I can plug in to one of these for a bit to make sure it's working acceptably, I'd appreciate it. My dryer outlet is a 10-30. Plugshare doesn't list these a standard plug, or have any way to specify to search for one that I can see.

A public location would be great, but if someone is willing to offer a private location for test as well, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

I bet their are some options at the local RV campground at Bull Run Park.

Also it looks like the same plug I used to use at work - go over to 4805/ 4807 Stonecroft BLVD Chantilly VA and drive around to the parking garage behind the building. on the ground level in the garage facing the building (near the stairs) in the reserved spots that have that that plug (i know because i used to use them) - they are on the wall when you face the back of the building and at about knee level on the concrete wall. (I also stuck some Tesla Stickers on them - to make them easier to find)....

Let me know how it goes. I believe I dialed it down to 24 amps or 32 amps ( I can't remember as it been over a years since I've worked there).

Last edited:
Frankly you can tell if it’ll work just using an ohm meter. It isn’t very complicated. A real test would test if you tightened your screw terminals tight enough, but that’s pretty unlikely to be a problem.

Frankly you can tell if it’ll work just using an ohm meter. It isn’t very complicated. A real test would test if you tightened your screw terminals tight enough, but that’s pretty unlikely to be a problem.
I ohmed it out and it's fine from that perspective. And I took the terminals out of the plastic housing, put them in my vise, and leaned on the lugs. They are good and tight.

I'm 99.374% sure it's fine. I just prefer to test before I implement wherever possible. Especially when safety, liability, or prized possessions are involved.

Thanks.

I bet their are some options at the local RV campground at Bull Run Park.

Also it looks like the same plug I used to use at work - go over to 4805/ 4807 Stonecroft BLVD Chantilly VA and drive around to the parking garage behind the building. on the ground level in the garage facing the building (near the stairs) in the reserved spots that have that that plug (i know because i used to use them) - they are on the wall when you face the back of the building and at about knee level on the concrete wall. (I also stuck some Tesla Stickers on them - to make them easier to find)....

Let me know how it goes. I believe I dialed it down to 24 amps or 32 amps ( I can't remember as it been over a years since I've worked there).
Thanks...

To be clear, when you say you used them, I'm assuming that was with an adapter, as there isn't an official Tesla adapter for them? (also assuming you are talking about charging a Tesla).

If so that was a 10-50 plug on your adapter?

Thanks.

Incidentally, used this last week and it worked just fine. Ran it at 24A for a while and no issues or worrisome heating. Ramped it up to 40A and was getting some significant voltage drop, due to the parking structure wiring runs I expect. After a bit the car ramped it down to 30A as a result. I restarted the charge session @ 32A and it continued fine for the next 5 hours until complete...

Reactions: Cosmacelf

Attachments

• Home Made Adapters.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA