Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Report: Towing the Bowlus Road Chief

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I drove Rocklin to Truckee, which involves a 7000' elevation gain climbing up Donner Pass (Donner Pass to Truckee is downhill and you can do it on regen alone). It took 190 miles of range driving at 55 mph with climate control off.
Jack, happy to hear that trip was easier than you anticipated! I know it was only about 80 miles but that is a huge elevation gain, especially when towing over 2,300 lbs.
Another interesting thing is the trip planner has gotten to know the trailer characteristics pretty well over the last 1000 miles, and it now does a good job of projecting the battery range (you can toggle in and out of trailer mode to see the projected impact of the trailer).
Now that is very cool. I am impressed!

Happy to report that getting around with the Bowlus continues to be easier than I thought. Yesterday I drove Rocklin to Truckee, which involves a 7000' elevation gain climbing up Donner Pass (Donner Pass to Truckee is downhill and you can do it on regen alone). It took 190 miles of range driving at 55 mph with climate control off. The temperature was 50s and I have 20" winter tires filled to 46 psi (the Bowlus tires are at 50 psi).

I'm also finding myself driving 65 mph in places where the Supercharger density is high (note: in California there's a 55 mph limit for cars towing trailers). If there isn't much wind and the elevation is relatively flat, the energy draw is usually 550-600 Wh/mile at that speed. You do get some sway if there's a crosswind, but the Model X has anti-sway built into the traction control, and it seems to work pretty well. Another interesting thing is the trip planner has gotten to know the trailer characteristics pretty well over the last 1000 miles, and it now does a good job of projecting the battery range (you can toggle in and out of trailer mode to see the projected impact of the trailer).
Jack, I was playing with your numbers from this climb and I have the following:

Range used: 190 miles
Actual distance: 77.5 miles
Elevation gain (gross): 9642 ft
Elevation gain (net): 5610 ft

I'm assuming the range used number was for the total journey, and not just to the top of the pass. Did you have that number, per chance?

You appear to have used about 2.45x the rated consumption. I believe the rated number is right around 340Wh/mi on your P90D, so that would imply a consumption of about 833Wh/mi.

Since the real limiting factor in getting over Donner Pass is the actual pass itself, I am having a hard time backing out how much more energy you could have consumed while still achieving success. This information might be useful for those who want to pull something heavier and/or less aerodynamic up over the pass. Any chance you have data to assist?

Resurrecting a thread -

Jack and other aluminum-clad trailer owners: have you considered an Xpel-type skin to protect and keep shaving-mirror shiny your rigs? Do you know anyone who ever has done this?

Resurrecting a thread -

Jack and other aluminum-clad trailer owners: have you considered an Xpel-type skin to protect and keep shaving-mirror shiny your rigs? Do you know anyone who ever has done this?
I don't know anyone who has done this, but the Airstream Addicts group on Facebook (Airstream Addicts quite a number of people who talk about and describe how they obtain and keep their mirror shiny exteriors.

Resurrecting a thread -

I didn't initially, because the options are pretty limited for polished aircraft aluminum, and Bowlus strongly cautioned that anything you put on the trailer would cloud or discolor the surface and void the warranty. But now that some of the forward-facing aluminum is already lightly scratched from cleaning off bugs and dirt, I've reconsidered and recently ordered a polish/protection-coating product from Everbritecoatings.com. I don't know if it will make the surface any less prone to future scratching, but at least I'll have a decent way to shine up any areas that don't look so good.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
....would hate to think that such a gorgeous creature like that Road Chief need be relegated to traveling only where there are no bugs.
Or road tar.
Or chippy-stones.
Or....

....would hate to think that such a gorgeous creature like that Road Chief need be relegated to traveling only where there are no bugs.
Or road tar.
Or chippy-stones.
Or....

While I don't ever expect to take it to Burning Man, my Teslas have never been spared any wear and tear, so neither will the Bowlus. If I can find a good polishing system, I'll just do an annual "restoration."

Reactions: JimVandegriff