Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tested Dyno Mode on a track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my LR RWD to the track for the first time last weekend at an event hosted by The Driver's Edge. Eagle's Canyon Raceway has been recently resurfaced, reconfigured, and highly improved. I'm an ex-racer and have been instructing for over 15 years and was running in a dedicated instructor group.
I ran in Dyno Mode for each session, which completely turns off the stability control and traction control, and didn't have any problems with any aspect of the handling at any point. The owner's of the track were on hand and were very gracious to allow me to charge in their garage between sessions. I used about 5% charge per lap and typically ran 6 laps per session as by then my Pilot Sport 4S and stock brake pads were giving up.

EaglesCanyon.jpg

I took my LR RWD to the track for the first time last weekend at an event hosted by The Driver's Edge. Eagle's Canyon Raceway has been recently resurfaced, reconfigured, and highly improved. I'm an ex-racer and have been instructing for over 15 years and was running in a dedicated instructor group.
I ran in Dyno Mode for each session, which completely turns off the stability control and traction control, and didn't have any problems with any aspect of the handling at any point. The owner's of the track were on hand and were very gracious to allow me to charge in their garage between sessions. I used about 5% charge per lap and typically ran 6 laps per session as by then my Pilot Sport 4S and stock brake pads were giving up.

I like the new track layout! Appears to be even faster than before. I'm sure I'll see you around the Dallas area as I'm at ECR 2-3 times per year.

Nice driving! Did you happen to run a lap with Dyno mode off? Just wondering what the difference in lap times would be with on versus off.

I heard driving around with Dyno mode on is a good way to damage the differential, did you hear any rumbling sounds from the diff while tracking?
This is the key question. How do lap times compare with Dyno on/off?

I did go out on track without Dyno Mode (by accident) but absolutely hated it and came in after a couple of laps and turned it on. It is trying to straighten the car out and doesn't allow it to slide at all. Looking at my track data it was 5 seconds a lap slower without Dyno Mode. On a wet track I would keep nannies on but on a dry track I don't want them.

Great stuff here. If I may ask, what is your setup for the screen in front of the steering wheel? Looking forward to doing the same on the Model Y when received. This is the perfect mode for a RWD 3 considering that there is no track mode.

If you're buying, I flying :) At least I won't have to worry about oil starvation with super sticky tires, Iike I did back when I raced ICE.

You mentioned the stock pads gave up on you early and that’s my experience too. Try a set of XT970’s from evtuning. I’ve used them on the track and street with no issues. Even in the cold. Upgrade your brake fluid when you do the pads. It will be a huge difference. If you need a local shop to do it, I have a few with Tesla experience. Happy driving!

What sizes are you running? look phat

Got any source for that info?

I don't see how it would get damaged, unless you let the motor rev the wheel as high as it would go. Driving in full control shouldn't do anything to the diff.
I too would like to see a source regarding damage w/ dyno mode. It's just an open diff - unless you're doing sick one-wheeled burnouts, shouldn't be a problem. But there could be something we're overlooking.

I did change out my brake fluid with Motul RPF600. I bought some Carbotech track pads but the fronts were too thick by a lot, which is why I just used the stock pads and tried to take it easy on them. Hopefully I can find some place to shave the Carbotech pads down a couple mm.
The tires are 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and I put them on some stock wheels that I got cheap ($350) as the tires on them were worn and the wheels had some rash. I considered Hankook R-S4 in the same size as those are a better track tires, but I didn't know how many events I would be doing on the tires and wanted something decent for the street. I kept my original wheels and tires as well for trips.
The display is to run Scan My Tesla and I talked about it here. I also have Harry's Lap Timer running on my iPhone in the center console cubby.

I did change out my brake fluid with Motul RPF600. I bought some Carbotech track pads but the fronts were too thick by a lot, which is why I just used the stock pads and tried to take it easy on them. Hopefully I can find some place to shave the Carbotech pads down a couple mm.
The tires are 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and I put them on some stock wheels that I got cheap ($350) as the tires on them were worn and the wheels had some rash. I considered Hankook R-S4 in the same size as those are a better track tires, but I didn't know how many events I would be doing on the tires and wanted something decent for the street. I kept my original wheels and tires as well for trips.
The display is to run Scan My Tesla and I talked about it here. I also have Harry's Lap Timer running on my iPhone in the center console cubby.
Well there goes the theory that 265s are too wide for the stock aeros.

Well there goes the theory that 265s are too wide for the stock aeros.

Was never much of a theory- tons of folks have put 265s on 8.5" wheels since long before the model 3 even existed.

It's "technically" out of spec so if you ask folks like tire rack you'll get answers like "officially we can only suggest this for track or off-road applications" but it works fine.

I had a chance to try dyno mode on an airfield in my P3D last week.
It was wet and I had kept my winter tyres on, but I found it very controllable and could get some nice slides going, which wouldn't have been possible even using track mode.
Next time I'm on a dry track with my Cup2s on I'll do a comparison between track mode and dyno mode to see if there's a lap time benefit to be had. I think it looks promising TBH.

Reactions: beastmode13