Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testers wanted: connecting your AC to a google calendar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two months ago I got my first Tesla (Model S) and with winter approaching I tried to set a schedule for activating its AC in the morning, only to find out it was not possible. Being a software engineer I was easily able to fix that for myself, by using a Google Calendar to start and stop the AC.

This works just great for me, but I figure more people would like to have that. So I've created a setup (christened TeslaTasks) where I can handle more cars with the same logic. Right now I could use some testers to work out the kinks. But strangely I do not know that many people who own a Tesla ;-)

As a heads up: turning on the AC in your car will require entering your Tesla username and password, since I need to access the unofficial Tesla API. Just like VisibleTesla does.

Let me know if you are interested to help me test.

Let me add a little bit of explanation of how the software works;

• you create a special 'Tesla' Google calendar,
  • TeslaTasks monitors this Calendar every 3 minutes,
  • if it finds the start of an appointment, it will call the Tesla API to start your AC.
This means that if you need to leave at, say, 8 am, you can have an appointment in the Tesla calendar from 7:30 to 8 am, so your car and battery pack are defrosted and preheated when you leave.

• Informative
Reactions: BobAbooey
An app version of TeslaTasks is available for open beta test in the Google Play Store. The iPhone version is being worked on.

You really need cut & paste support so you can input the token w/out having to type it out. And the calendar URL. Both are very long.

Also, does the climate control get disabled after the calendar event? I'd like to create one that's 15 minutes long right before I leave, such that if I had the day off, it would just turn back off after 15 minutes if I haven't left.

Last edited:
I see that copy and paste indeed does not work anymore. Well, that is what beta tests are for. Going to take a look ASAP! Thanks

Yes, when the appointment ends the AC is turned off (unless the car is not in park, because I don't want to meddle with the car when you are driving).

What amazes me is that the core algorithm, the sync between Google Calendar and Tesla, was written in 2 hours. All the work since, I'm at it in my spare time for over a month now, is scaffolding. Ranging from an app for entering the data to a privacy statement on the website.

What amazes me is that the core algorithm, the sync between Google Calendar and Tesla, was written in 2 hours. All the work since, I'm at it in my spare time for over a month now, is scaffolding. Ranging from an app for entering the data to a privacy statement on the website.

people always tend to underestimate just how much work is required to create production-quality products.

I wanted to try, but given all the problems creating an android and ios app has, I've moved the registration logic to the web.

The system itself works pretty reliable. Often, when the app takes long to connect, prefer to create an appointment in Google calendar instead. And let TeslaTasks do the waiting for the car.
Manual – TeslaTasks