Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing autopilot on software update 2017.50.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As has become a habit now, I've took the opportunity to test the latest update 2017.50.1 on my Model S to see if there are some improvements in autopilot behaviour. Now, I've had the update for 4 days now and have driven a few hundred kilometers before this test. So any calibration should have already happened, if necessary.
As expected, and unfortunately, there are not really big changes in the software for the past 4 updates. However, this time around I may have discovered a regression bug where the car reacts more on a steep hill than it did before. And it is pretty consistent behaviour, unless the car sees traffic ahead too. Got the impression that with traffic the car reacts better to the situation than without.

Reactions: RubberToe
Drove about 150 miles on 2017.50.1 last night.

Lane changes seem more abrupt, and a 5mph increase in AP speed on the stalk not smooth.. there is an initial jump. My observations.

Good things: I had a very good experience with the pre-heater solution in 2017.50.1 Overnight charged to 80%. Then 45 min before taking off, set charging to 90%. The next 30 miles on in town and onto freeway traffic was under 360 KwH/mile. Could there have been a wind going in my direction... I suppose... but it was way better than the average of 420+ from the prior week on a similar drive.

Looking to confirm w/ other's experiences. I see another new update arrived this AM, already, just 3 days after 2017.50.1. So what will the new change be?

-TechVP 16k Miles.

Drove about 150 miles on 2017.50.1 last night.

Lane changes seem more abrupt, and a 5mph increase in AP speed on the stalk not smooth.. there is an initial jump. My observations.

Good things: I had a very good experience with the pre-heater solution in 2017.50.1 Overnight charged to 80%. Then 45 min before taking off, set charging to 90%. The next 30 miles on in town and onto freeway traffic was under 360 KwH/mile. Could there have been a wind going in my direction... I suppose... but it was way better than the average of 420+ from the prior week on a similar drive.

Looking to confirm w/ other's experiences. I see another new update arrived this AM, already, just 3 days after 2017.50.1. So what will the new change be?

-TechVP 16k Miles.

You will get the Santa easter egg :)

@aikisteve

My impressions of 42 -> 50 in a LH drive country (NZ):

- Lane changing still not working. I have to give the wheel a push to get it going.
- Leaves the lane often on tighter right hand turns on highways (motorways are fine).
- Phantom braking from a variety of sources still there.
- When a car leaves my lane to turn off, my car slows and (if necessary) stops long after the car leaves the lane. Seems to take a long time to realise a car has left the lane. Surprises the drivers behind me.
- Acceleration is very firm, making the overall ride a bit uncomfortable for passengers. No change from previous version. I've tried putting it on Chill, but that's not helping much.

My findings are roughly similar to yours.

@aikisteve

My impressions of 42 -> 50 in a LH drive country (NZ):

- Lane changing still not working. I have to give the wheel a push to get it going.
- Leaves the lane often on tighter right hand turns on highways (motorways are fine).
- Phantom braking from a variety of sources still there.
- When a car leaves my lane to turn off, my car slows and (if necessary) stops long after the car leaves the lane. Seems to take a long time to realise a car has left the lane. Surprises the drivers behind me.
- Acceleration is very firm, making the overall ride a bit uncomfortable for passengers. No change from previous version. I've tried putting it on Chill, but that's not helping much.

My findings are roughly similar to yours.

About the lane changing: everywhere in the world and outside of the US, you need to hold the steering wheel for the lane change to initiate. That is a feature and not a bug (unfortunately).
I've never felt it accelerating too hard form a braking point. If anything, it waits really long before it starts moving with traffic again at a red light, for example.
A big issue still is when you drive 90kph or something and you come up to stopped traffic. It doesn't see it all the time and sometimes brakes very very very late.
However, I did notice a more smoother experience when the car in front of me turns away from the lane. It used to stop and wait all the time. Now it's only sometimes and most of the time it just brakes a little and realizes the car is gone before braking too hard.

As has become a habit now, I've took the opportunity to test the latest update 2017.50.1 on my Model S to see if there are some improvements in autopilot behaviour. Now, I've had the update for 4 days now and have driven a few hundred kilometers before this test. So any calibration should have already happened, if necessary.
As expected, and unfortunately, there are not really big changes in the software for the past 4 updates. However, this time around I may have discovered a regression bug where the car reacts more on a steep hill than it did before. And it is pretty consistent behaviour, unless the car sees traffic ahead too. Got the impression that with traffic the car reacts better to the situation than without.

Great video!

Reactions: aikisteve

I had it try to do a pit manuever on two different semi trucks today.