Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing BMW i8 Encounter with TMS (Youtube)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video I viewed from youtube of a Model S approaching (& eventually driving past) what appears to be a BMW i8 test vehicle. The video isn't anything special, but I love the fact that a 100% electric Model S from a 'startup' is driving on the roads while BMW, a 100-yr old established company, is still testing theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still, great video. I just found it on a different website by chance, then wanted to post it here, but you beat me to it, Ufrugger ;-)

And what a coincidence, eh? Imagine the number of Model S's on German roads at this point, and then the number of i8 test vehicles - and then think how likely two of them meeting is. The image of two needles in a haystack comes to mind...

Looking forward to tomorrow, when I will finally meet the Model S in the real world (Tesla store Frankfurt) for a hands on showroom experience. No test drive yet - that will follow in September - but still. I am so excited!

The i8 is about 2 notches up from the Karma... so about 10 more notches before it's in Tesla territory. Is it just me or is the response from the "major automotive companies" to the model S nothing less than pathetic... I think they are simply hoping the MS fails so they can keep hawking their POS ICE cars that they spent so much time and money developing. Sorry BMW, the ICE age is over... you really need to up your game.

*IF* the i8 was a full EV with low CoG then it would have my attention, but I agree with nwdiver that it is several notches away as a hybrid. It is most likely very heavy and not as agile as the Roadster. So it would seem that BMW is nearly caught up 2006 Tesla!

Last edited:
Not to mention that the i8 is a hybrid, not an EV.

Two major things Tesla Model S has over any product BMW currently has on market or within the announced production market for U.S.:
** MS is fully an EV, not a hybrid.
** It is CURRENTLY available, has been in production for over a year.

Major part of my decision to get my MS is the EV technology is HERE now, and being fully implemented on a daily basis.
Little wheels spin faster, are more nimble to adjust and change course with current and developing technology.

Oh, I guess good things come in Threes:
** Tesla is MADE in USA.
Never under-estimate the genius, enthusiasm and determination capabilities of this country
MY First Made is USA wheels since high school *(very early '70s)*

No big toe in the pool to check it out, just dive in and make waves.

Two major things Tesla Model S has over any product BMW currently has on market or within the announced production market for U.S.:
** MS is fully an EV, not a hybrid.
** It is CURRENTLY available, has been in production for over a year.

Major part of my decision to get my MS is the EV technology is HERE now, and being fully implemented on a daily basis.
Little wheels spin faster, are more nimble to adjust and change course with current and developing technology.

Oh, I guess good things come in Threes:
** Tesla is MADE in USA.
Never under-estimate the genius, enthusiasm and determination capabilities of this country
MY First Made is USA wheels since high school *(very early '70s)*

No big toe in the pool to check it out, just dive in and make waves.

And let's not forget:
** Unlimited driving (for free) through North America and Europe in two, three years time when the Supercharger-network covers most of the two continents. No competitor will have such a vast and fast supercharging-network for years to come (and if they do, they will probably not be offering it for free).