Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing for Input lag (both touchscreen and pedal) in a Tesla Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post below is a heavily condensed version of the article here, which features more graphics, information and background.

I wanted to test for input lag in its various forms on my Model 3 performance and scrutinized not just the hardware angle (pedal lag & gear stick), but also Tesla's touchscreen to see how responsive the various buttons, menus, sliders and scroll widgets are. Tesla is renowned for its snappy interface, at least on its newer cars, but is there any room for improvement?

Pedal lag

In an old post, some users on this forum noticed a difference in latency between the Roadster and Model 3 pedal's response, so this is the first thing I looked at. We're looking explicitly for the time gap between pressing on the accelerator pedal, and when any amount of power is applied physically, i.e. when the car starts to move. (This doesn't necessarily equate to throttle response on ICEs!). With electric cars, this may even become primarily a software problem, rather than necessarily a hardware issue (where motors are renowned for their 'instant torque'.

Anyway, on a low-speed wind day in a safe area, I placed a modern phone camera (capable of 60 frames per second) resting in the driver side footwell, placed it against the side, and used the mat to secure it in place (see photo). I then strategically angled the phone so that it has a simultaneous view of the aluminium pedal AND the outside, assuming the door is left open:

r7tQL4B.png

Here is the video from one of the multiple tests I did.

Zooming into the video, and finding the colour difference between images, I was able to nail a latency down to around 50 milliseconds. This represents an upper limit as noise becomes an issue at these precise levels of time and resolution.

50 milliseconds is not a bad result! Quite a good one actually, and better than I originally expected. Room for improvement? Sure, though it's tricky to gauge how noticeable it would be. If we take a look at this video from a Microsoft researcher, we can see that even 10 milliseconds is noticeable in some situations, and 1ms is close to ideal.

Touchscreen latency

Secondly, I tested to see how responsive the touchscreen was. Hardcore gamers who try to shave milliseconds off their input lag during play will know what I mean: You feel more connected to the game, and it generally makes for a smoother and more enjoyable experience.

Unfortunately, touchscreens are particularly susceptible to lag, and the aforementioned video is well worth a watch to demonstrate how even 10 milliseconds can be too much.

I tested various often used buttons (200ms lag), the Climate button (185ms lag), map scrolling (110ms lag), Menu tab changing (185ms lag), the 'Start' button (170ms lag), temperature changing (205ms lag), window scrolling (105ms lag) and the keyboard (100ms lag):

Aex5I52.png

The original videos are much longer and higher quality. Overall, I found a latency of around 100-200 milliseconds which isn't great to be honest. Current touchscreen technology is at least partially to blame, but Tesla can immediately improve the experience on many occasions by at least 50 milliseconds if that click is registered at the moment the finger touches the screen ("finger-down"), RATHER than when it leaves the screen ("finger-up"). This won't be ideal for some elements that are immediately draggable, but for controls like simple buttons, opening windows/menus, and changing the temperature, the opportunity is there to shorten the perceived lag by around half!

Testing startup to Drive mode latency

Finally, some users (including myself) have noticed that the car frustratingly doesn't immediately allow you to switch into the Drive gear after you press the foot brake pedal. There's a short delay that you need to wait out before adjusting the gear lever.

To test for latency, the obvious idea is to keep hammering the gear lever (approx every 0.2 sec) until we see the Tesla show the 'D' icon (Drive) change from the 'P' icon (Park). Unfortunately, for some reason, the car doesn't like this very much and as a result just causes further delay (around 3.5 seconds based on this video before allowing you to switch into Drive).

Better to use a higher delay (say 0.4 seconds) between gear lever presses. To accurately keep interval timing, I used a metronome and timed my gear lever presses to the sound of the metronome beat, with the first press to happen simultaneously with the foot brake push (and hold). Using this technique, I found the vehicle switched to drive mode on the 3rd lever pull at around 0.8 seconds.

Experimenting with other metronome timings, 84bpm specifically (which failed on the second lever pull), I found a lower bound of 0.7 seconds, so we can estimate the true lag before the car allows you to switch to Drive mode is around 0.75 seconds. This is sometimes a painful wait, especially if you pull the gear stick too early, and find it doesn't switch at all.

Summary and conclusions

We found a pedal lag of around 50 milliseconds, a touchscreen lag from around 100-200 milliseconds and a "preflight check wait to allow Drive gear" wait of around 0.75 seconds (750 milliseconds). The above three summaries are the areas where I think Tesla can most improve in regards to latency. I hope Tesla takes note of these concerns to help make driving the car a more pleasurable and 'snappy' experience!

Full article here.

Last edited:
The Ryzens are supposed to be noticeably quicker on touch and general interface reaction times but I have no idea if there has been any change to throttle lag.

For me throttle feels gloriously fast, coming from a CVT+Turbo car the M3P feels like a lit rocket being held in place until you press the juice pedal haha

The Ryzens are supposed to be noticeably quicker on touch and general interface reaction times but I have no idea if there has been any change to throttle lag.

For me throttle feels gloriously fast, coming from a CVT+Turbo car the M3P feels like a lit rocket being held in place until you press the juice pedal haha

Right, I think the throttle has a near direct connection to the motor which bypasses the main infotainment computer, otherwise the car would be inoperable if the screen crashed during driving!

like a lit rocket being held in place until you press the juice pedal haha

And then you get the nitrous hit :D

Right, I think the throttle has a near direct connection to the motor which bypasses the main infotainment computer, otherwise the car would be inoperable if the screen crashed during driving!
Yeah, throttle definitely isn't processed by infotainment. I imagine it's pretty direct to the ESC for that exact reason.

And then you get the nitrous hit :D
YEEEEET!

Perhaps not related to your test, but I felt my M3LR has a noticeable delay to start driving upon cold "startup" in my garage. I'd shift into Drive, and step on the accelerator only to find it being sluggish to move. Same with reverse.

Once the car is fully "warmed up" or driven, this lag doesn't exist and is more responsive.
Even fully warmed up, the car's tactical applications are limited. Stepping on the accelerator in reverse (to perform a J-turn) shows noticeable lag and then the ridiculously low speed limit are huge bummers.

Nice testing and writeup @dspwhite! I'd certainly expect the Gauss pedal latency to be around 50ms but I sure didn't expect the car to move from a stop that quickly! The brakes have to be released first!

I'd be really interested to see you analyze the turn signal latency issues. A very long press is needed to trigger the signal and only a slightly longer press to trigger a single blink. And curiously this latency seems completely different from the gearshift which detects input no matter how brief, and presumably with the same hardware. You tested the "startup" latency from brake pedal-to-gear selection which is likely a hard-coded timer to allow ample time for all critical systems to report safe-to-drive status.

I'd guesstimate that the turn signal has to be held for >250ms to trigger a response, but less than 1000ms to actually latch into triple or continuous blinking rather than simply releasing after 1 blink.

Reactions: dspwhite
OK, so I've tested 2020, 2021, and 2022 Model 3's and Y's and they all have this turn signal flaw. The gearshift works fine, but the turn signal must be held for a fraction of a second in order to register the input. Surely they must use the same hardware for both stalks so it's perplexing that they operate in such a different manner.

Perhaps a misguided intern added some debounce logic to the turn signal? But why decrease safety by debouncing the turn signal instead of increasing safety by debouncing the gearshift? It's very strange.

Reactions: dspwhite
I've noticed the turn signal delay for my 22 M3LR during the first turn signal command of the drive (like a cold start turn signal...) more often than not it never picks it up. Afterwards, I can gently tap it mid-way and it registers as a turn signal, sometimes being too sensitive. That first cold start turn signal command of the drive often confused me until I paid closer attention.

I too have the same "turn signal" delay or not registering input issue. Tesla should make the adjustment in the logic that the input is registered when the stalk is halfway to the first stop, so that way I don't miss turning the signal on while changing lanes quickly or turning the car left and immediate right turn

I'll be interested to reproduce both your problems with the turn signal. I've been frustrated on occasion with the turn signal, and it wouldn't surprise me if this bug is what's causing the subconscious irritation.

How easy btw would it be to get a photo of the motor cog itself? How long would I be tearing up the car to fit a camera in there considering I have little experience with doing this sort of thing?

If I could somehow record the faster cog turning (which in turn drives a slower rotating cog, which in turn drives the wheels), I can get a much more accurate and less error prone figure for the "pedal to motor latency".

OK, so I've tested 2020, 2021, and 2022 Model 3's and Y's and they all have this turn signal flaw. The gearshift works fine, but the turn signal must be held for a fraction of a second in order to register the input. Surely they must use the same hardware for both stalks so it's perplexing that they operate in such a different manner.
I can confirm I also have this flaw in my 2019 Model 3. It's actually probably created plenty of frustration without me even noticing what was wrong particularly.

Not only is being too quick with the indicator stalk not recognized, but trying to CANCEL the current turning indication will also be unresponsive if you're too quick with the stalk.

Well spotted. It reminds me an old bluetooth keyboard I had where pressing a key doesn't always produce an output on the screen. Very uncomfortable feeling. Tesla must fix this.

metroplex: Couldn't reproduce your error. Even from cold, the turn signal works for me.

@metroplex

Which Model 3 year do you have? Try the quickest nudge of your hand you can and as short a distance as you can (whilst making sure the lever is nudged into its new position). Pretend you're trying to jerk the motion.

It's a very late 2022 (a month before 2023s were coming out). It happens 80% of the time. It's not how fast/quick I nudge it, but rather it doesn't register the first turn signal of the cold morning "startup". I really have to mash down the turn signal to get it to work. Subsequent ones are more sensitive.