Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing Off Grid Feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my 10kw system with 1 PW+ installed a few days ago. Whole house back up, no PTO, in self consumption mode. I just tested the "go off grid" feature. My AC started and ran just fine. I also turned on the microwave at the same time, I noticed that the microwave seems to run slower like running out of power. Does this mean that PW+ couldn't supply enough power to it? My guess is my home load, AC and microwave was more than 5kw continuous load?

Last edited:
Without knowing details, I think its likely the only reason your AC started up along with your microwave on 1 powerwall is because you have the + version that can support a larger surge.

Microwaves can run strange because of the frequency that is used when you are off grid and your batteries cant take the solar generated (either because the powerwall is full or other reasons).

So, its possible your microwave was running "strange" because of the power frequency. Get a kill a watt or some other similar device and check your frequency, it is likely at 65 hz when off grid.

I put in killawatt meter, it said it's 60 hz. I plugged microwave in another outlet, it's working fine. Also, I noticed my AC/Furnace fan is running at much higher speed and it's louder.
In my months running off grid I noticed refrigerator and microwave both sounded different .. both worked fine far as I know .. micro was noticeable by all fridge by others only when A B comparison .. and of course certain clocks slowly lost accurate time as well
my kilowatt showed a less tight regulation of hz when off grid .. from my recollection would usaully be anywhere from 60.2 to 60.8hz .. ( this was not in context of batteries being anywhere near fully charged) when on grid rock solid at 60 or 60.1hz
not sure if this amount of deviation from 60hz caused the sounds

Reactions: KHYE
I put in killawatt meter, it said it's 60 hz. I plugged microwave in another outlet, it's working fine. Also, I noticed my AC/Furnace fan is running at much higher speed and it's louder.

It would be 60 Hz when your powerwall is not full and sun is shining, when you are off grid. it will be 65hz when your powerwalls are nearly full and you are off grid, and solar is generating (or any other time your system is trying to force the solar off).

The fact it was 60 hz means either you were on grid, or off grid with space in your powerwall for the charge, so the "running strange" condition of "battery full" was not in effect.

you also need to test with the "real" breaker, not the "fake" "go off grid" button in the app.

Reactions: KHYE
It would be 60 Hz when your powerwall is not full and sun is shining, when you are off grid. it will be 65hz when your powerwalls are nearly full and you are off grid, and solar is generating (or any other time your system is trying to force the solar off).

The fact it was 60 hz means either you were on grid, or off grid with space in your powerwall for the charge, so the "running strange" condition of "battery full" was not in effect.

you also need to test with the "real" breaker, not the "fake" "go off grid" button in the app.
Yes, I was using the off grid feature. I will ask them to adjust the PW frequency to 60 Hz and see if it makes a difference.