Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing out a P90DL - Loving the Autopilot functionality!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was fortunate enough yesterday to get a P90D loaned to me for the next 2 days and after a ~100 mile roadtrip - I have to say that Autopilot is AMAZING. About 1/2 of the trip was in bumper-bumper traffic going an average of 5 and I didn't have to touch the wheel, brakes, or gas even once. Once it got dark, the road opened up and I got to go 85 (yay 85MPH Texas speed limits), in the dark, and with no hands or feet.

Auto-parking in perpendicular spots has worked quite well, though I wish there was a way for the car to know where the lines are as opposed to just centering between the two cars, as it has led me to park on the line twice now due to one person being far over and the other person being practically on the line. Either way, still cool.

The one thing that's not worked well for me is Summon into or out of my garage. I live on a hill, and so my driveway is sloped (yes, I know the notes say flat driveway), but my garage is perfectly flat. The car refuses to pull from my driveway into the garage (due to the slope I believe). Coming out seems to be an issue as well. The first time I tried it, the car was almost perfectly centered, but it chose to go right and almost hit the garage post. Took it manually and re-centered it, and tried again. This time it just moved forward about 1 inch and stopped. Any tips or tricks to make this happen?

My current ride is a Pre-AP P85, and I have to say that Ludicrous mode vs my P85 is less of a difference than I thought it would be. Yes, it's FAST. But I honestly don't know that it's different enough to make me upgrade to a P90D as opposed to a 90D. The Autopilot, on the other hand, is a hands-down MUST HAVE.

Sounds like a fun couple of days for you! I agree that if you drive on regular streets everyday and don't stomp on the go pedal all the time, the difference in acceleration is not as apparent. In my P85D, even when I think I'm pressing the pedal hard, I often realize after the fact that I did not STOMP on it. And who would want to in regular traffic?

That is, unless Tesla nerfs the autopilot until it's unacceptably codependent.

I was impressed with how non-nannyish the Autopilot is in 7.1. It asks me to hold the wheel sometimes, but if I 'ignore' the ask by just getting my hands there and prepped to grab the wheel - it keeps on steering pretty dang perfectly. With Elon's comments about Summon coming cross country to pick you up in under 2 years, I'd imagine Tesla's goal is to keep the nanny-car to the minimum.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a fun couple of days for you! I agree that if you drive on regular streets everyday and don't stomp on the go pedal all the time, the difference in acceleration is not as apparent. In my P85D, even when I think I'm pressing the pedal hard, I often realize after the fact that I did not STOMP on it. And who would want to in regular traffic?
Good point - I need to find a safe place to try the real STOMP. Or maybe not... I don't want to spend the extra $38K after experiencing it :)