TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blog Testing The Limits of Winter Driving in a Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jackbowers, Jun 20, 2017.

1. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

My wife Karen and I have opposing viewpoints on winter driving. She likes to drive an expendable vehicle in case something bad happens. I like to drive a capable vehicle to minimize the odds that something bad will happen. Her choice: a 2004 AWD Sienna with all season tires. My choice: a P90D Model X equipped with a 20-inch rims and Pirelli Scorpion winter tires.

This past winter was the first time I was really prepared for driving several thousand miles on snow and ice, and I’m happy to report that the Model X does not disappoint. A highly optimized traction control means you can accelerate on slippery surfaces much faster than other vehicles with very little risk of a spinout. The vehicle’s heavy weight means unparelled gripping power when turning. And All Wheel Regen (AWR) means you can slow down faster than other cars that rely on mere brakes.

Very little has been said about AWR, but in my mind it’s a huge advantage. When braking, some 70% of the force is on the front wheels, so even with...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Like x 7
  2. Yinn

Yinn Member

After digging my former Subaru Forester XT out several times, I finally got one a portable winch to get me out of being stuck due to high centering. Amazon.com: Master Lock 2953AT 12-Volt DC Portable Winch: Automotive

I haven't needed to use it for the X yet, but it's rated for 2,000lb straight pull but 6,000lb rolling so I expect it to work fine. It can mount to the trailer hitch if you have the tow package or you can use it by itself on the front tow eye. Much better than digging in stupid cold weather.

• Helpful x 1
  3. happyking

happyking New Member

One reason i wouldn't take MX is fear of some other cheap car hitting you. Especially in snow/ice that is the greatest danger not the fact MX works best. I have also heard from 2 of my friends who have MS, that after an accident it takes roughly 6-8 months to fix things with Tesla, and both situations they ended up totalling and getting a new vehicle. The repair cost and the depreciation due to accident sometimes come to around 60-70% and you would rather have a new vehicle in that case.