Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing the Tesla: Big AP 2.0 improvements in 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I got the latest update too and after reading some of the earlier remarks about AP improvements, I took it for a test on my usual test route. Hill crests are taken without veering off to the side anymore. Auto lane change is smoother, although I've encountered some scary moments when it started the move and then jerked me back in the lane. Haven't yet been able to reproduce, but both times it was to the left. And on a specific section, it seems AP has adopted a new strategy for taking the hurdle. Not feeling very safe, because it cuts corners there, but that will probably improve in the next release too.

Cheers,
Steven

I received the update in my X a few days ago, but have not had time to test until today.
As everyone else reports, it is really smooth now. Even roads without markings seem to be a piece of cake.
Most impressed by driving in direct low sunlight, on a wet, salty road, sharp right turn over a hill crest (where you can't see the other side from behind the wheel) and it performed without a flaw. No hesitation, very, very smooth!

Can't wait to see what the next updates bring.

New Update went on a short Road trip approx 350 miles round trip. It is much improved lane change is smoother as mentioned. AP is available much quicker, took exit ramps(merging highways) much better. Worked on all road, Highway, 2 lane back roads. Main strip in Ocean city md. I was impressed.

Hi
I am new to this forum and new to my Model S 75 (just took delivery 3 weeks ago) but I do have a question: I saw that the most current update activates "MORE" cameras. I am not aware of any cameras on my Tesla that were not "working" before this update. I don't know what to think of that but ARE there more cameras operating NOW than were currently operating before this update?

Hi
I am new to this forum and new to my Model S 75 (just took delivery 3 weeks ago) but I do have a question: I saw that the most current update activates "MORE" cameras. I am not aware of any cameras on my Tesla that were not "working" before this update. I don't know what to think of that but ARE there more cameras operating NOW than were currently operating before this update?
There are some longer threads that cover this topic from those who have debug access to the car.... but long story short, no. The current update still uses just 3 forward facing cameras. The front main/narrow are used together for driving and the front fisheye lens is used for rain detection.

No other cameras are active though there are increasing signs that they’re working on the repeater cameras next.

There are some longer threads that cover this topic from those who have debug access to the car.... but long story short, no. The current update still uses just 3 forward facing cameras. The front main/narrow are used together for driving and the front fisheye lens is used for rain detection.

No other cameras are active though there are increasing signs that they’re working on the repeater cameras next.
Thank you so much, chillaban! Now.....I am kinda dumb compared to most of the techie geeks on this forum: What does "repeater" cameras mean? AND, as for the stupid rain detecting wipers.....my Avalon had those and while they didn't work PERFECTLY, I have actually had an issue with my wipers (on my new Tesla Model S) turning on for ONE swipe EVERY TIME I enter my garage. The other night I pulled in and put my car in park and was attempting to read the owners manual on the touch screen and the wipers turned on for that "ONE" swipe but they continued their "intermittent swiping" until I had to turn them OFF to stop them from moving/swiping. It was extremely annoying, especially since it was not raining in my garage. :rolleyes: Any suggestions? Should I take it in to the service department?

Thank you so much, chillaban! Now.....I am kinda dumb compared to most of the techie geeks on this forum: What does "repeater" cameras mean? AND, as for the stupid rain detecting wipers.....my Avalon had those and while they didn't work PERFECTLY, I have actually had an issue with my wipers (on my new Tesla Model S) turning on for ONE swipe EVERY TIME I enter my garage. The other night I pulled in and put my car in park and was attempting to read the owners manual on the touch screen and the wipers turned on for that "ONE" swipe but they continued until I had to turn them OFF to stop them from moving/swiping. It was extremely annoying, especially since it was not raining in my garage. :rolleyes: Any suggestions? Should I take it in to the service department?

The “repeater” cameras are those cameras on your side turn signal repeaters that look backwards. It is theorized that those cameras will be used to provide better blind spot detection and eventually enable the fully automatic lane changes, but that’s speculation.

As far as wiping while entering a garage, that is a widely reported behavior. Tesla has the industry’s first passive vision rain sensor. It is using a neural net to detect rain based off just video. Most other cars have a complex sensor with a ring of infrared emitters and an infrared camera. Automatic wipers were only activated about two months ago and are still considered “beta”. One nice thing about Tesla is that software updates can improve existing functionality over time. One not as nice thing about that is that it also permits Tesla to ship features that aren’t ready for prime time at first.

The “repeater” cameras are those cameras on your side turn signal repeaters that look backwards. It is theorized that those cameras will be used to provide better blind spot detection and eventually enable the fully automatic lane changes, but that’s speculation.

As far as wiping while entering a garage, that is a widely reported behavior. Tesla has the industry’s first passive vision rain sensor. It is using a neural net to detect rain based off just video. Most other cars have a complex sensor with a ring of infrared emitters and an infrared camera. Automatic wipers were only activated about two months ago and are still considered “beta”. One nice thing about Tesla is that software updates can improve existing functionality over time. One not as nice thing about that is that it also permits Tesla to ship features that aren’t ready for prime time at first.

Chillaban, you are awesome! THANK YOU for your kindness and your explanations without making me feel like I am just another stupid woman. I am fairly high tech however Tesla has made me feel vastly inferior to most of the people on this forum. You did NOT make me feel that way, (like some on this forum,) who are light years ahead of me in the technological aspects of my Tesla and I hope I can ask you more questions when they arise. Thank you so much for your advice and information!! C.

Chillaban, you are awesome! THANK YOU for your kindness and your explanations without making me feel like I am just another stupid woman. I am fairly high tech however Tesla has made me feel vastly inferior to most of the people on this forum. You did NOT make me feel that way, (like some on this forum,) who are light years ahead of me in the technological aspects of my Tesla and I hope I can ask you more questions when they arise. Thank you so much for your advice and information!! C.

Not a problem, happy to help another owner! Enjoy your car — it’s a constant learning experience but that keeps it feeling like a new car for so much longer!

Reactions: CBPfromTN
With AP active, has anyone else noticed or does it bother anyone whenever the car drives next to the car(s) on adjacent lanes for a relatively long period of time? I'm hoping an AP software update allows for an air cushion of safety.