Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tethering devices to Tesla internet connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that the in-car web browser works in a lot of places when none of my phones (Verizon, T-mobile) have reception. I'm not quite sure how they pull it off, but the car seems to always have great reception.

Has anyone toyed with the idea of hacking together a tether for an external device to the car hotspot? Basically what's needed is a way to send data into the Tesla browser and out of the Tesla browser at high speed, and then everything else can be accomplished with software and back-end servers.

For example, imagine a webpage that flashes QR codes at 30Hz, and a camera pointed at the Tesla screen scanning those codes. That camera can be wired to a Raspberry Pi that decodes those codes, forming a link layer for networking. Once bits are flowing from a cloud-based server to the Pi, everything then can be built upon that, including an IP layer, VPN, and creating a Wi-Fi hotspot on top of all that.

Except, getting data OUT of the Tesla browser is easy, by just point a camera at the Tesla screen and you have a bandwidth of 30fps * how ever many bits you can cram into a QR code. The question is how to effectively get data IN to the Tesla browser at high speed. Maybe a piece of hardware that emulates a game controller?

I also thought about using WebRTC and a bluetooth audio and emulating an old school analog modem over the audio but it seems the Tesla browser doesn't detect any mic or speakers.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up