Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texan for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello:

Been lurking for a while and figured time to step out from the shadow. I have been interested in electric cars since the eighties but the trouble was always the range. I toyed with the idea of an EV1 as a run about car when I lived in Palmdale CA. I just couldn't get over the idea of not being able to own one. No offense but I just cant see the point of a lease (though I am happy for you if it works for you.) I figured I'd wait till GM changed their "lease only" policy in a few years. We all know how that turned out. Then I heard about the Tesla roadster and was blown away. I have followed Tesla off and on since then.

In 2006 I took my first tentative steps toward electrification with the purchase of a Prius Hybrid. Nearly 12 years later I am looking at jumping in fully. The Prius is and has been a great vehicle. I have been able to get 600 miles with about 11.2 gallons, have taken it on several road trips, put 212,000 miles on it and am still on the first set of break pads. Now I am looking forward to not having to change oil or stop at gas stations.

My dream right now is a P100D, pearl white with ultra white seats, a sunroof, and 2.5 autopilot. As long as still dreaming, FSD also but I realize that is 6 months off still. <grin>. However, my budgeting rationalization is still nearer Prius territory. I am looking at the used market and check consolidator and used car sites daily. My research has me looking in the direction of P85Ds and I am working on my more frugal self (and my wife) to justify it. At the same time I am looking at the non performance side of the equation and have entertained the thought of a Bolt or a Leaf. Either of these would be about half the cost, and, effectively $7500 less than that if I take delivery before 2018. The Leaf, at 150 mile range is at the bare minimum for my mission needs. The Bolt with 230+ miles would meet my range needs. The reviews are mostly positive and I understand style and performance the limitations. However, the killer is the charging network. Tesla has ease of charging in the bag at this point in time. A bolt would fit a daily driver profile but road trips?

One other thing that has come into play for me is the X. I would never have considered an SUV or crossover until I drove this one (P100D). Wow! Other than being a bit less responsive in cornering handling it is still an impressive piece of machinery. There was a signature X90D with ludicrous on one of the dealer sites that really had me considering buying it. My six year old daughter has no such hesitation though. She is all in for an X ("white seats with a space and wing doors - please daddy!?")

As far as buying it goes, I am still learning about the benefits and drawbacks of private party versus CPO, versus dealer purchase. I guess I am still open to any of them.

Oh, and the title? Well I just wrote my first note to Austin asking them why they would not want an a US company, providing US jobs and building a US product to not do business in a state that is supposed to be all about jobs, prosperity, competition, and doing the right thing. It urged them to do the right thing with the alternate fuel incentive bill they are considering.

Well, that's my story. So far.

Welcome, @rucksack. Looks like you have a wide range of options to consider. It usually boils down to how much you are willing to spend to satisfy the "want" (vs "need") :). If money was not an issue I would love P100D, but a "humble" S 75 does the trick for me and then some!

I have been very happy with my S70D, which I purchased from an exotic car dealer with 9K miles on it. The former owner was in Wisconsin. I drove the car down to Houston to 'shake out the bugs' and it was a relaxing a rewarding journey. The range of 240RM is plenty, given how much the supercharger network has grown. The price of the car was lower than local offers, when I was shopping in Houston -- plus I had some business in the area. If you are inclined to splurge, use this referral code to get lifetime free supercharging (which incidentally, is transferrable to the next buyer).

Welcome! Lots of current and former Prius owners here. I view my now-ex-Prius (2005 Gen2, 10 years and 206K miles) as a "gateway drug" for my Model S. :)....

Indeed! My wife has an '09 Prius V and wants me to get another Prius. I want to get away from stopping at the gas station even once a week, and the oil changes altogether. The '06 is still going though,

Welcome, @rucksack. L... It usually boils down to how much you are willing to spend to satisfy the "want" (vs "need") :)....

Yeah, it is pretty much a want at this point. :) I am thinking for me AP1+ and range greater than 200 would go most of the way to satisfying the urge. After that it easier to compromise gets harder to rationalize - but the desire is still there.

...I have been very happy with my S70D, which I purchased from an exotic car dealer with 9K miles on it. ... .

Any qualms about not getting extended service warranty? What was registration like and did you have to pay WI sales tax and TX use tax?

A related question: IF I buy inventory or CPO would I be able to fly to the deal and pick up where it is? If I go new (inventory) I would really like to do whatever possible to place in service by Dec 31st.

Any qualms about not getting extended service warranty? What was registration like and did you have to pay WI sales tax and TX use tax?

A related question: IF I buy inventory or CPO would I be able to fly to the deal and pick up where it is? If I go new (inventory) I would really like to do whatever possible to place in service by Dec 31st.
I'm still in the 4 year warranty period. Registration was a piece of cake after the safety inspection and insurance was in place. Car was sold by a third party in Chicago. No taxes were due when I picked up the car -- though they did issue me temporary 30-day paper license-plate. When I had registration complete, I went to the Texas local tax office and paid the big tax bill. Funny how Texas played a negligible part in the sales process, but still gets to pick up a big fat tax check.

I think if I were Texas auto dealers, I'd be real worried that Tesla eats their lunch, and then turns their parking lots into commercial solar arrays.

So @rucksack -- by the looks of your avatar you've flow some single-engine land planes. I gave up flying about 10 years ago -- it just was too complicated to fly VFR, and do so on a schedule. You'll find many of the piloting skill helpful in the EV environment. Fuel management; keeping your options for refueling open; air-speed versus ground speed. I've even heard somebody mentioning stuff concerning air-resistance at higher elevations. Good luck with everything.

stuff concerning air-resistance at higher elevations

Less air pressure at higher altitude helps you in getting better consumption and longer range when you are driving up a mountain pass.

Colder air is denser, which means more air resistance. So that is a double whammy in winter where your battery doesn't charge fully and you get poor driving efficiency due to denser air, reducing your overall range substantially.

TLDR: San Diego is the best place on earth for EVs

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad