Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texan Residents can’t get 4680s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MYP in the first week of Feb 2022. I just got an EDD of march 10-31 but I just recently found out giga texas is not allowed to deliver to texas residents. Does this mean that there is absolutely no way of receiving 4680s inside texas? I heard you could FedEx the paper work to out of state and get your car delivered back in Texas? I was going to delay my delivery but now that there’s no way of me getting it I’m not to sure?

This question has been cleared, you are purchasing from california and getting a texas vehicle. This would be crazy imagine all the 18 wheelers going out of state to come back in, and all the extra logistics, it wont happen. This issue seems to be already resolved.
Where was this resolved, I saw one post that someone said they were told it would be marked as purchased from California. Saw another well before that said they will ship it out of state, you need to pay for it, then it will be shipped into state for delivery

Upvote 0
The Auto Dealer Franchise lobby is strong in Texas and well protected.

Simply put, Texas does not allow consumer direct purchases of motorized vehicles, the dealer groups want to get their beak wet as well.

I would have thought that Tesla would have signed an agreement with a private business to operate as a dealer w/ locked in pricing, no salespeople, etc. to just legally complete the transaction with TX customers for a $350 flat fee per unit to basically hand over the fob and title the vehicle. But there might be something in the TX Franchise law that says the manufacturer can only suggest the final price (MSRP) but not require it which prevents this arrangement.

The other option is to team up with other direct to consumer sellers (i.e. Rivian) and lobby the Republican Texas Legislature. Our politics are bought and sold, just have to spend more money than the Auto Dealer Lobby.

Upvote 0
How does one tell if they are getting a Model Y with the 4680 battery packs? Will there be a change over in weight/ range/ cost/ interior space? Seems like something should change.

Also, does the Y still have a Lead Acid car battery or will that be removed in this change over as well?

Another question, why the heck does the Model X cost nearly 80% more at nearly identical specs as the Y? Is there something I'm missing?

Thx

Upvote 0
I think Tesla plans to ship the cars out of state and them bring them back
Either way, the money transaction is online to avoid Texas no-direct sale law.

Texans don't need to drive out of the state to get a Tesla: Tesla would bring the car to Texas, either one-way from CA currently or round trip from Texas if required.

It makes no difference to Texans except for a few inconveniences:

1) Time: If Tesla has to do a round trip, ship out of state then back in the state.
2) Paperwork: If it was legal, Tesla would do the registration/title so customers don't have to do it themselves
3) Loan: No problem for cash customers but loans need to be nimble because of the change Estimated Date of Delivery and changing VIN.

Upvote 0
This question has been cleared, you are purchasing from california and getting a texas vehicle. This would be crazy imagine all the 18 wheelers going out of state to come back in, and all the extra logistics, it wont happen. This issue seems to be already resolved.

The last I saw is Elon Musk agreed that the law required the round-trip Texas to Out of State then back to Texas and wished that law to be changed:

1645052302073.png

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Upvote 0
The last I saw is Elon Musk agreed that the law required the round-trip Texas to Out of State then back to Texas and wished that law to be changed:

View attachment 769993
They had an agreement to change the law when Tesla agreed to Texas. Fwiw, the chance to change it was missed in the legislature so now they are stuck.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Upvote 0
I’m not particularly worried that Tesla will be able to sell Austin built Model Ys in Texas. Whether that happens at the outset or some time next year, the sheer economics dictate an efficient outcome. There will be a workaround or, if necessary, a deal to get this done.

Upvote 0
I’m not particularly worried that Tesla will be able to sell Austin built Model Ys in Texas. Whether that happens at the outset or some time next year, the sheer economics dictate an efficient outcome. There will be a workaround or, if necessary, a deal to get this done.
I test drove a Y today in Austin and I asked the SA how they will deliver. She said they resolved the issue about selling to Texans. The delivery would be determined later, could be to customer's home or picked up at the factory or Service Center. I think only the paperwork flows to another state. When I bought my Model 3, the paperwork was to/from Nevada.

Upvote 0
How do you know they have 4680s?
Because that’s all they’re going to build in Austin. There is no doubt a small chance they will build a structural pack with the smaller batteries, but its unlikely. But they’re not going to start with the current, floored Fremont chassis, then suddenly stop and change over their brand new production lines to something else.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Upvote 1