Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas delivery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am waiting for my MS to begins production in the next week hopefully, with delivery later this month. Has there been a change in how Teslas are delivered in Texas? I am in San Antonio and will be taking delivery at my nearest service center in Austin. I am surprised that TX allows delivery at the service center. I was led to believe that in the past you would take delivery from a non-Tesla delivery truck at your house, and you had to call California with questions and they couldn't answer them locally immediately around delivery. If that is true, how and when did this change come about?

It's always been that way, except for the very first cars when there were no service centres. I picked mine up at the Dallas SC March 2013. If you live far from an SC, they will deliver.

Picked up mine at the Houston service center, Sept 2013. All these dealers that think "prohibiting" sales in TX does anything just don't understand the Tesla sales model. I loved buying my car on the internet, with no salesman involved. Hope I never have to deal with one again.

I picked up mine at Dallas Service Center on Oct 18th, 2014.

A week before I had California temporary sticker and took it with me for the delivery.

2-3 weeks after the delivery... Tesla mailed all the paper work, took it to local Title and registration office and paid the taxes...( a lot of taxes :mad: )

Came back driving Tesla with lighter wallet but cheered back later...because it is a great car

I picked up mine at Dallas Service Center on Oct 18th, 2014.

A week before I had California temporary sticker and took it with me for the delivery.

2-3 weeks after the delivery... Tesla mailed all the paper work, took it to local Title and registration office and paid the taxes...( a lot of taxes :mad: )

Came back driving Tesla with lighter wallet but cheered back later...because it is a great car

This is the same scenario as my delivery. Tesla provides the smoothest workaround to the ridiculous dealership laws. The two disadvantages are the lack of 2 year inspection sticker (going away in March!) and the ineligibility of getting the $2500 TERP rebate. I'm still happy both of my recent car purchases did not give TADA any money.

This is the same scenario as my delivery. Tesla provides the smoothest workaround to the ridiculous dealership laws. The two disadvantages are the lack of 2 year inspection sticker (going away in March!) and the ineligibility of getting the $2500 TERP rebate. I'm still happy both of my recent car purchases did not give TADA any money.

Well, the inspection isn't going away. Just the sticker. We'll get to continue letting some guy we don't trust drive the car to test the brakes. ;)

Exactly I was wondering why not a 2 year inspection sticker for a car that has zero emissions..???

Right now I have two stickers on my wind shield which bothers me...:mad:

Exactly I was wondering why not a 2 year inspection sticker for a car that has zero emissions..???

Right now I have two stickers on my wind shield which bothers me...:mad:

You still need a safety inspection, which is much cheaper than the normal emissions inspection that other cars do. The inspection sticker does go away in March, but you'll still need to get it safety inspected.

Out of curiosity I recently ran a Carfax on my Model S and was able to verify that the McKinney Nissan dealer reports inspections to Carfax. In 2013 my inspection was reported as "service." In 2014 they reported the inspection as "detailing."

I chafe at the entire concept of such reporting, significantly more so if it's inaccurate.

It would be great of the Tesla's service centers would perform the state inspections. I'd gladly pay Tesla instead of some local dealer hack.

Out of curiosity I recently ran a Carfax on my Model S and was able to verify that the McKinney Nissan dealer reports inspections to Carfax. In 2013 my inspection was reported as "service." In 2014 they reported the inspection as "detailing."

I chafe at the entire concept of such reporting, significantly more so if it's inaccurate.

It would be great of the Tesla's service centers would perform the state inspections. I'd gladly pay Tesla instead of some local dealer hack.
They can't because inspection stations have to be able to test ICE car emissions. There currently is no mechanism for an inspection station to only do EV inspections.

Now that Texas is a "1 sticker - 2 step" state, the process for registering and renewing is slightly modified.

You will need to get your inspection before registering your car. I got mine at a "Jiffy Lube" nearby, and they loved seeing the car. You get a receipt for passing the inspection, but no sticker for the window.

The inspection shop sends your VIN to the state electronically, which allows you to register or renew the registration for the car.

If you register in person on initial purchase, you will probably be asked for the inspection receipt.

If you renew online, the TxDOT computer will know whether or not your inspection is current. I had a renewal rejected, so I went on a Saturday to Jiffy Lube. When I got home I went back online, and the renewal processed instantly. So the new system does work as advertised.

During the transition year, if your inspection sticker is good beyond your registration month, you won't need to get an inspection done first to renew. You simply renew. Then get an inspection before you request renewal next year. So you get some extra months.

Now that Texas is a "1 sticker - 2 step" state, the process for registering and renewing is slightly modified.

You will need to get your inspection before registering your car. I got mine at a "Jiffy Lube" nearby, and they loved seeing the car. You get a receipt for passing the inspection, but no sticker for the window.

The inspection shop sends your VIN to the state electronically, which allows you to register or renew the registration for the car.

If you register in person on initial purchase, you will probably be asked for the inspection receipt.

If you renew online, the TxDOT computer will know whether or not your inspection is current. I had a renewal rejected, so I went on a Saturday to Jiffy Lube. When I got home I went back online, and the renewal processed instantly. So the new system does work as advertised.

During the transition year, if your inspection sticker is good beyond your registration month, you won't need to get an inspection done first to renew. You simply renew. Then get an inspection before you request renewal next year. So you get some extra months.

Thanks for the info.

Glad to peel the inspection sticker off the windshield