Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for TKJD and yourself... How are the panel gaps?

Gaps were all pretty great & alignment of doors too! At the very top of the hatch door, on each side it looked a little open, but don't think it's bad or bothers me. Will look more tomorrow just to re-check.

Also, the steering wheel is slightly misaligned to right..kinda weird

But I'm not worried, everything will be corrected with a service appointment I'm sure!

Reactions: EK028
Gaps were all pretty great & alignment of doors too! At the very top of the hatch door, on each side it looked a little open, but don't think it's bad or bothers me. Will look more tomorrow just to re-check.

Also, the steering wheel is slightly misaligned to right..kinda weird

But I'm not worried, everything will be corrected with a service appointment I'm sure!

Did your car come with a front license plate holdeR?

Thanks, IronMeow

After 7-9 days of delivery date, you will receive a FedEx packet from Tesla for your license plate's registration. When you bring that to the tax office, you will pay the Sales tax, show them proof of state inspection and insurance, then you can pick up your license plate same date same time. That's what I did with my wife's model 3 couple weeks ago, and soon with my model Y.

Question for TKJD and yourself... How are the panel gaps?

Panel Gaps are good just about everywhere except where the hatch meets the roof. The gap is quite a bit larger than everywhere else.

Did your car come with a front license plate holdeR?

It did but not installed. Houston-North

Some quick notes....these are random thoughts so i'm typing as the come. Sorry, they are in no logical order....
  • Delivery from Houston North comes without Temp Tags due to tax office delays and covid. Basically taking delivery and taking the risk of getting pulled over. Delivery center said cops are aware and should be lenient. Haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood).
  • I watched several videos about how the Y is larger than the 3. Those videos just don't prepare you for just how much larger the Y is. It is significant, in a good way. The extra storage, extra leg room, they used the extra space well.
  • Two of my rear seats back panels were popping out. The clips that hold them in were broken. Tesla service is getting them swapped out in a couple days. They said there was a newer revision of the seats that just swap in.
  • I did have an area between the drivers side front and rear doors with light paint damage. Looks like someone tried to close the front door while something was still in the way. It is towards the bottom of the door. Luckily no dent, just paint and service will resolve.
  • The wire for the pedestrian speaker was hanging out my front bumper. They currently are shipping prewired but with no speaker. The wire was just not properly popped into it's holder. They resolved this immediately.
  • The model Y front seats seem skinnier than the model 3. I noticed this as soon as i sat in it for the first time. The seats do hold you in more, but i'm convinced these seats are not just model 3 seats on risers.
  • My biggest annoyance of the Model Y is the AC Compressor. It is SO much louder in cabin than the Model 3. I don't know if mine is defective but i'll find out tomorrow when my wife gets hers. It's still quieter than an ICE, but the idle sound difference with AC on between a Model 3 and Y is VERY significant.
  • I have a Stealth P. I've watched a few videos of people taking delivery of stealth P's and not having an P badge or the CF Spoiler. Spoke to Tesla and this was done on purpose as they build all vehicles, performance or dual motor, exactly the same to simplify initial production. This is why AWD only people are seeing performance VINS. On FB some of the newer VINS 3,000+ that are stealth are coming prebadged and with the spoiler installed. This will be resolved in the next few weeks.
  • Haven't floored it yet.... I think i've wasted extra money on getting the P....
  • I have MSM Stealth P on Gemini's, my wife takes delivery of her PW AWD on Inductions tomorrow. Houston Service is swapping our wheels later this week so i'll have a stealth P on Inductions.
  • Main reasons for getting Stealth.... Ride Quality, didn't want lowered suspension or dealing with 21's with Houston roads. Range was another big factor. Yes I could've just sold the uberturbine wheels but the suspension would still be lowered and thus possibly a rougher ride. Didn't want to deal with the selling wheels and I think the Inductions are a happy medium. Only thing I really wanted from the PUP was the red brakes....
  • Factory tint looks great. I've read it's 24%, but looks darker. Will have to wait for summer to see if it's actually effective @ heat rejection. Might be tough to get a tint for the front windows that matches. Not sure if factory tint is a film or not, but it goes to the very edge of every piece of glass that is tinted.
  • My Model 3 was an early 14k vin. It had tons of wind noise... tried my best through tesla and aftermarket to dampen it but it was just bad. The Model Y is much much better. No wind noise at all and overall night and day compared to the model 3 when it comes to road noise.
  • The car overall just seems like it's built better. They seem to have learned alot from the model 3. It feels solid and fit and finish has improved. Yes i have some QC issues as stated above, but what car doesn't. Tesla is addressing all the issues.
  • It's a great vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
Panel Gaps are good just about everywhere except where the hatch meets the roof. The gap is quite a bit larger than everywhere else.

It did but not installed. Houston-North

Some quick notes....these are random thoughts so i'm typing as the come. Sorry, they are in no logical order....
  • Delivery from Houston North comes without Temp Tags due to tax office delays and covid. Basically taking delivery and taking the risk of getting pulled over. Delivery center said cops are aware and should be lenient. Haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood).
  • I watched several videos about how the Y is larger than the 3. Those videos just don't prepare you for just how much larger the Y is. It is significant, in a good way. The extra storage, extra leg room, they used the extra space well.
  • Two of my rear seats back panels were popping out. The clips that hold them in were broken. Tesla service is getting them swapped out in a couple days. They said there was a newer revision of the seats that just swap in.
  • I did have an area between the drivers side front and rear doors with light paint damage. Looks like someone tried to close the front door while something was still in the way. It is towards the bottom of the door. Luckily no dent, just paint and service will resolve.
  • The wire for the pedestrian speaker was hanging out my front bumper. They currently are shipping prewired but with no speaker. The wire was just not properly popped into it's holder. They resolved this immediately.
  • The model Y front seats seem skinnier than the model 3. I noticed this as soon as i sat in it for the first time. The seats do hold you in more, but i'm convinced these seats are not just model 3 seats on risers.
  • My biggest annoyance of the Model Y is the AC Compressor. It is SO much louder in cabin than the Model 3. I don't know if mine is defective but i'll find out tomorrow when my wife gets hers. It's still quieter than an ICE, but the idle sound difference with AC on between a Model 3 and Y is VERY significant.
  • I have a Stealth P. I've watched a few videos of people taking delivery of stealth P's and not having an P badge or the CF Spoiler. Spoke to Tesla and this was done on purpose as they build all vehicles, performance or dual motor, exactly the same to simplify initial production. This is why AWD only people are seeing performance VINS. On FB some of the newer VINS 3,000+ that are stealth are coming prebadged and with the spoiler installed. This will be resolved in the next few weeks.
  • Haven't floored it yet.... I think i've wasted extra money on getting the P....
  • I have MSM Stealth P on Gemini's, my wife takes delivery of her PW AWD on Inductions tomorrow. Houston Service is swapping our wheels later this week so i'll have a stealth P on Inductions.
  • Main reasons for getting Stealth.... Ride Quality, didn't want lowered suspension or dealing with 21's with Houston roads. Range was another big factor. Yes I could've just sold the uberturbine wheels but the suspension would still be lowered and thus possibly a rougher ride. Didn't want to deal with the selling wheels and I think the Inductions are a happy medium. Only thing I really wanted from the PUP was the red brakes....
  • Factory tint looks great. I've read it's 24%, but looks darker. Will have to wait for summer to see if it's actually effective @ heat rejection. Might be tough to get a tint for the front windows that matches. Not sure if factory tint is a film or not, but it goes to the very edge of every piece of glass that is tinted.
  • My Model 3 was an early 14k vin. It had tons of wind noise... tried my best through tesla and aftermarket to dampen it but it was just bad. The Model Y is much much better. No wind noise at all and overall night and day compared to the model 3 when it comes to road noise.
  • The car overall just seems like it's built better. They seem to have learned alot from the model 3. It feels solid and fit and finish has improved. Yes i have some QC issues as stated above, but what car doesn't. Tesla is addressing all the issues.
  • It's a great vehicle.
Wonderful review! Love to know your thoughts on your wife's car. Let me know if see a MSM LRAWD there :)

Update: Tesla North Houston just called me to push my appointment for tomorrow from 2:30PM to 6PM, due to the temp. tag hasn't arrived yet (they said usually that tag is emailed out by their Contractor by 5PM everyday, so that's why they pushed it to 6PM).... Praying for no more delays....

For those who have gotten their car or deliveries scheduled, what was the time difference between the first "are you ready?" phone call to the schedule delivery text and getting a VIN?
Could you list out your timeline?

For those who have gotten their car or deliveries scheduled, what was the time difference between the first "are you ready?" phone call to the schedule delivery text and getting a VIN?
I received a phone call the day before delivery. Had the VIN for maybe a week. However, I was trading in a Tesla, so perhaps that triggered a different set of responses as obviously I would have already had charging capability, etc.
Order placed Mar 8, VIN Mar 11, Phone call Mar 26, Delivery Mar 27. (There were other phone calls and emails between Mar 11 - Mar 19 on the trade-in.)

Ordered on the 15th. VIN the 19th. Original delivery date the 26th. Postponed. Got call yesterday saying they are waiting on temporary tags. Said I don't care and want it right away :). Just got home delivery in Frisco, TX, Blue/Black, 20" no FSD (still debating).

Reactions: PlaidCPA
Received the car! Minimal complaints, really mostly cosmetic. No plates/ No temp tags yet....
I am supposed to get it delivered in Downtown Austin. I called the center today because I am impatient wondering if I could get it faster if I go to the delivery center instead. They told me there have been delays because of the temporary license plates. They also said they are not very busy so having the car delivered would be the fastest way to get it. Based on the info on this thread, I just emailed them telling them I want the car with or without temp license plates. I guess I can roll the dice with that ...

Last edited:

I put the deposit down on March 2nd after calling the local Tesla store in Austin asking about ETA for the Model Y. They told me it would take from 7 to 9 months to get here. Thinking it would take a long while, I pulled the trigger on it. On March 23rd I got a text from Tesla saying the VIN number had been assigned. A day later it said delivery would happen last Friday and to submit insurance and other docs. At that point I got an email from someone at Tesla asking if I was going to trade in a car, method of payment, etc. That same day I uploaded pics of my trade in. The next day I had an offer from Tesla to buy my car and, by the way, it was 2k higher than Carmax. As of Friday the 27th, I finished all paperwork and I am just waiting for the delivery of the car. The delivery got pushed from last Friday to tomorrow 3/31 at 6PM. I am shocked that it went this fast considering the original ETA.

My car is the Long Range and upgraded the wheels to the 20inch option. No FSD since I want to pay as little taxes as possible when I register the car. I will upgrade after delivery WHEN I decide it is worth it to get it.

Well....took delivery of the wifes car...... fit and finish was not good.
  • Scratched trim on drivers door. It looks like this happened at the factory when installing the drivers side mirror. Trim needs to be replaced.
  • Rear doors misaligned. The top of the doors sticks out a good amount. Will take pictures... it is slightly present on mine but not nearly as bad as my wifes car.
  • Trunk close button does not work.
  • Rear seat clip broken (same as mine)
  • If you open the drivers door the console trim doesn't line up and you can see the inside of the console exposed. I'm not sure what else to call it but the console. Essentially the entire housing that holds the AC vents.
  • If you open the hatch, the trim on the right side is popped out and can't be popped back in.
  • The rear fender flare is loose. I think a clip is broken.
Almost didn't take delivery... probably shouldn't have honestly....

With all that said.... I did confirm that my car's AC compressor sound is unique to mine. Her's sounds like my Model 3.. silent. Here is a video of mine.

IMG_1482.MOV

Sorry to hear that ergela. That's frustrating.

My service center in New Orleans texted me about my work order submitted on the app. I'll try to keep everyone updated.

Hopefully it doesn't take long but as I've said before, they were great on fixing any issue on my M3 delivery

Update on delivery. The Tesla Center in Austin called to say my delivery is postponed until the temporary plates come in. Obviously, due to the virus, the DMV is operating at minimal capacity. They said it has been taking up to 5 business days to get them. I mentioned that other Tesla Centers in the State of Texas are delivering cars without temp plates because cops are not pulling anyone over for obvious reasons. They said they are not following those procedures and they will not deliver the car. Ugh. But, honestly, considering what is going on in the world, waiting is not an issue at all.

Hector

Update on delivery. The Tesla Center in Austin called to say my delivery is postponed until the temporary plates come in. Obviously, due to the virus, the DMV is operating at minimal capacity. They said it has been taking up to 5 business days to get them. I mentioned that other Tesla Centers in the State of Texas are delivering cars without temp plates because cops are not pulling anyone over for obvious reasons. They said they are not following those procedures and they will not deliver the car. Ugh. But, honestly, considering what is going on in the world, waiting is not an issue at all.

Hector
Hi Hector , I was at Pond Springs today , I saw several Model Y's sitting there, I spoke with the sales team there. You can visit the Pond Springs and take delivery without plates ( that means that you should be responsible if you get pulled over or for any tickets :) ) .

Well....took delivery of the wifes car...... fit and finish was not good.
  • Scratched trim on drivers door. It looks like this happened at the factory when installing the drivers side mirror. Trim needs to be replaced.
  • Rear doors misaligned. The top of the doors sticks out a good amount. Will take pictures... it is slightly present on mine but not nearly as bad as my wifes car.
  • Trunk close button does not work.
  • Rear seat clip broken (same as mine)
  • If you open the drivers door the console trim doesn't line up and you can see the inside of the console exposed. I'm not sure what else to call it but the console. Essentially the entire housing that holds the AC vents.
  • If you open the hatch, the trim on the right side is popped out and can't be popped back in.
  • The rear fender flare is loose. I think a clip is broken.
Almost didn't take delivery... probably shouldn't have honestly....

With all that said.... I did confirm that my car's AC compressor sound is unique to mine. Her's sounds like my Model 3.. silent. Here is a video of mine.

IMG_1482.MOV
Still think you wasted money getting the P after driving your wife’s ?

Still think you wasted money getting the P after driving your wife’s ?

Unfortunately with everything going on i've probably put 15 miles on mine and 1 mile on hers. Haven't pushed either car yet. I went into it knowing that i'm spending the money simply to have the fastest version of the Y that is currently (or was) coming off the production line. It'll be a couple years before I can really say it was worth it or not. We will see!