TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Texas Electricity Plans

Discussion in 'Texas' started by pete8314, Feb 2, 2013.

1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

during the summer & fall last year, both TXU and Reliant (my current provider) had plans with 'free' or discounted electricity for nights and weekends. I don't remember the exact details, but I think Reliant was discounted by a whole 1c from 10pm - 6am, and during the rest of the day was about 4c higher than their other plans, so, it sucked. The TXU was more interesting, as that was free overnight, and around 12c during the day. With the model S charging, and a few other reasonable high loads (washing m/c, dryer, dishwasher, some AC, pool pump), I think I could have switched things up to benefit from the plan. however, TXU no longer offer than plan it seems, and from what I can find on Power to Choose, there's nothing else 'optimized' for overnight charging, unless any of you guys know different?? Oncor is my PoCo, if that makes a difference, and I do have a smart meter.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I don't know any different but I assume the main reason for the smart meters is so that they can charge the current rates overnight and raise the rates during the day to something like California levels. They'll justify it by stating how much it cost to put in the smart meters--they aren't doing it to help the consumers.

3. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

Just go to PowerToChoose.org and switch to the cheapest fixed plan. It's trivial to do and we rarely pay more than .06/kwh. We're at 5.4 cents right now.

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

That's what I've been doing for the past few years, I was just hoping for something that matches my EV needs, rather than just a cheap plan with little or no renewable content. Do you switch providers each time, or just plans with the same provider. I've been with Reliant for the last few years, but their current cheapest plan is 7.9c, vs. Reach Energy at 4.8c.

5. KenEE

Understand that nothing physically changes about the wiring or where your electricity actually comes from. It's just paper work, or rather changing a few bits on accounting computers.

I go with whatever plan is cheapest, but give a small amount of weight to length of price lock and renewable content. (even though my actual renewable content doesn't change)

6. jerry33

That's correct, and because the service is outsourced from the electric company there's no difference there either (It's uniformly bad).

7. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I just switched from Reliant to TruSmart Energy, they had the best rate at 7.2c, with Sunday's being free. Reach Energy were a little cheaper (marginally, once you factor in the additional savings from the free Sunday), but the website seemed 'shady', they wanted me to pay for the credit check they needed to run on me? I don't think so!

8. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Does Texas have anyone selling 100% renewable? (Here in NY, I use Energy Cooperative of America, but they're strictly NY and PA at this point. The nice thing there is that they're a co-op -- if they make a profit, they rebate it to the customers. I don't know if there's anything similar in Texas, but if there is, I'd go for it.)

9. jerry33

There are two ways. You can use Green Mountain and get 100% wind, or you can choose a plan from TXU (and presumably others) that use wind energy. The fly in the ointment is that it's somewhat of a scam in that the fine print reads something like: Sometime in the nebulous future we will purchase the amount of wind farm energy that you have paid for.

As far as I know there are no co-ops of any kind in Texas. Texas appears to be against a lot of things (except for executing people--they like to do that).

10. 7racer

7racer Member

I went with Green Mountain Energy and their EV rate. Just have to demonstrate that you own an EV...

11. jerry33

I will look at that when my plan comes up for renewal.

12. KenEE

It's your money, but Green Mountain is over twice the price. (at least in my area it's 12.3 cents vs. 5.3 cents/kwh) And like I said, who you pay to collect your money doesn't change how the electricity you use is generated. Same generators, same wires, same amount of renewables.

13. 7racer

7racer Member

Hey KenEE,

the GM rate is 10.6 cents right now for 75204. When I looked, I did find some at 5.3 cents but with being single and only home at night the rate was different to get that 5.3 (at least what I looked at). That is, they tended to be "energy saver" programs. The less you use becomes the 5.4 but as you use more it goes up. Do you have it at the 5.3 fixed?

14. KenEE

Penneywise Power WiseBuy 3. It goes down not up. At 2000 kwh's per month its down to a flat 5.0 cents. We use more than 2000, so we're in the 5.0 cent/kwh range.

There are others. Just read the facts page they all have to have and pick the best one for you. Last time the best was Reliant. This time its Pennywise.
    For my area they all disclose the fact that they are just reselling power from the same actual power company that they get for 3.6 cents per kwh.

15. sherlinsmith12

Check Shop texas elctricity they providing cheap electricity with different plans...