Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas estimated delivery date (EDD) & proof of insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a silly question, but do I need to provide proof of insurance in order to select a delivery date? I just want to make sure I'm not inadvertently delaying my vehicle.

I'm a current Model S 70D owner and I've decided to switch it out for a brand new Model 3 Performance. I have an EDD and a VIN assigned and the Tesla app is now asking me to provide proof of insurance to avoid delays.

However, when I try to add it to my existing Tesla insurance policy, it asks me when I want the policy to go into effect for the new car and I get a message telling me to wait until after I've selected a delivery date.

So which message in the app do I listen to? I'm in Texas if it makes a difference:
  • Provide insurance as part of my pre-delivery tasks to avoid delays, or
  • Wait to get insurance until after I've selected a delivery date

Not a silly question at all, the process is what is silly imo. I can only tell you my experience, albeit with a used car in California purchased from Tesla delivered in Texas. I was told that I had to have the car on my insurance before they would ship, and to send proof so that it could be loaded on a truck. Again, I don't know if the process for a new car is different, and this was in 2020. Good luck and congrats on the new car!

I'm in Texas as well so what I did was just I went through the Tesla insurance quote on the App. This allowed me to move to the next stage which I think was the payment. No way I'm using that Tesla Plaid Link, so I need another option that I'm asking about now.

Updating in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future: the answer is to wait until you select a delivery date before uploading insurance.

That's what I did (I just went through Tesla insurance since they were significantly cheaper than other insurance quotes I was getting) and it didn't mess anything up for my delivery.

Reactions: byeLT4