Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas factory for Canadian/Ontario Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to replace my ICE car in March 2022 and the Model Y is a strong contender. I have read Texas will start producing cars in late 2021, early 2022, for the US East Coast. Do we know if Ontario will receive Model Y built in Texas or California in Q1 2022?

If the factory is going at that point, I’d consider it highly likely.

Once Texas takes the strain off of Fremont, I believe the plan is to spin down their lines to implement the improvements that Texas is having built in. They have to be proved of course, so it’s hard to put a timeline on it.

In my opinion, no one outside of Tesla can answer that question and even Tesla may not know yet.

I’m curious as to why it matters to you if a Model Y you purchase is built in California or in Texas.
The front casting doesn't appeal to me much, I see it as an internal manufacturing process that shouldn't affect the final outcome too much, but a new paint line is very attractive, considering the poor finish of the cars coming from California. If they use the new 4680 cells even better, but I am not waiting for that.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ