Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas GOP delegates endorse direct car sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Geesh. There isn't an eye-roll emoticon in existence that is big enough for that statement.

If my math is correct, it does not cost much more to do a factory pickup in Freemont and pay CA tax than it would to have a car delivered to TX. The CA tax is 7.5% vs 6.25% in TX and Texas does not charge tax if you can prove you paid at least 6.25% in another state. With my planned budget of $40k for my Model 3, the difference is $500. That is not a bank breaker to get the experience of a factory pickup and being able to "test" the car on the one-way trip back to Dallas. I am going to make a vacation out of the trip stopping for a day or two in various places on the way back.

My plan is to pickup in CA and pay their tax. When I get back home I will be sending a copy of the receipt to each of my state reps and the governor to show them how much tax revenue they have lost just because they are in the dealership lobby's back pocket.

I know that is just a drop in the bucket, but maybe if others did the same thing the state may realize how ludicrous this law really is.