TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Texas GOP delegates endorse direct car sales

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by HiTechRedneck, May 21, 2016.

1. HiTechRedneck

HiTechRedneck Member

• Funny x 1
  2. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Geesh. There isn't an eye-roll emoticon in existence that is big enough for that statement.

• Funny x 1
  3. Gentilly7

Gentilly7 Member

Great news, can't wait to see how this plays out.

4. wrf2e

wrf2e Member

If my math is correct, it does not cost much more to do a factory pickup in Freemont and pay CA tax than it would to have a car delivered to TX. The CA tax is 7.5% vs 6.25% in TX and Texas does not charge tax if you can prove you paid at least 6.25% in another state. With my planned budget of $40k for my Model 3, the difference is $500. That is not a bank breaker to get the experience of a factory pickup and being able to "test" the car on the one-way trip back to Dallas. I am going to make a vacation out of the trip stopping for a day or two in various places on the way back.

My plan is to pickup in CA and pay their tax. When I get back home I will be sending a copy of the receipt to each of my state reps and the governor to show them how much tax revenue they have lost just because they are in the dealership lobby's back pocket.

I know that is just a drop in the bucket, but maybe if others did the same thing the state may realize how ludicrous this law really is.

5. brkaus

brkaus Member

Good idea. It's a bit more for the model S currently available. If I had a strong reason to visit California with a car, I'd consider it. m