Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas heatwave & off-peak charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were lucky to not have a real Texas summertime heat wave for a couple of years, but now it's catching up with us. I've seen the fire trucks going past my place, and sometimes smelled smoke in the air. A couple of days ago I met a lady who said her house was only saved by a timely water drop from a helicopter.

Texas has set new records for peak electricity usage. We haven't had any blackouts or brownouts, but I have experienced some power "blinks" once in a while during the daytime.

We don't have off-peak rate programs here. When I charge my car, the cost is the same no matter what time of day, and as a result I've rarely ever bothered to charge my car on a timer. Whenever I plugged it in, that's when it started charging. Now that's changed. I don't want to charge my car when it's 97° inside my garage and the power could blink at any moment. That can't be good for the car, it can't be good for the charging hardware either. And you know, I don't want to be part of the problem.

I tried programming it to start charging at 3 AM, when the outdoor temperature was projected to dip below 80°. I left the garage doors open at night, so air can circulate. That seemed to work OK.

This year I signed up for a plan with free electricity from 8pm to 6am from TXU. The catch is I pay 3c more during day. So far my bills haven't reduced from last year and so I am not sure if this plan is saving me money or not. I will know at the end of the summer

gogriddy.com

wholesale rates that change every five minutes.... even with the powerspike this week to insane levels, we are still on track for $0.086/kw average this month (includes transmission fees).

One day this week at 6am, the wholesale rate was -1 cent.... yes, they paid me to charge my MS (sort of - still have transmission fees of about 4 cents)