Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reserved morning of 3/31/16.

Canceled reservation June 2017.

Saw Model 3 Performance. Wife said "get that". Ordered 8/24/18.

First contact from delivery advisor 9/11/18. Scheduled 9/28/18 delivery.

Paid in full 9/21/18.

Truck transport to Houston, TX, arrived 9/27/18.

Stopped by service center on 9/27 to ask about something unrelated. Delivery manager recognized me and asked if my car was in yet. Gave him VIN. "It's here. Want to get it today?" My car was ready 2 hours later. Easy delivery. Car was flawless.

View attachment 339807

Eric, that would be you?

Reactions: Tex EV
A quick update. My Model 3 was delivered on Sept. 10. Just received my Texas plates yesterday by FedEx. The car is amazing. I took it to the Cedar Springs Service Center this morning for a few minor things (bad rattle in dash board, a few small misaligned panels and some weatherstripping at the windows that is coming loose). What a great and easy experience to schedule and on the intake side. The people who work at Tesla seem to be pretty easy going and friendly. Received a Models S P100D as my loaner! Talk about acceleration!

Thanks, but no. I didn’t like the gloss black look anyway. I’m going to wrap, just have to decide what wrap.
I just got my car back from PPF, quartz coating, and console/dash wrap. I am very happy with it. I chose a brushed black metallic vinyl for both the console and the dash and it looks really cool. I used Speed Shield in Addison. It's an expensive place, but they do tons of cars. He said mine was their 68th Model 3. I had them do SunTek PPF on the full front of the car, which was full hand wash and clay bar, then wrap bumper, full hood, front fenders, lights, and mirror caps. Hand trimmed, all edges fully wrapped around, you can not tell there is anything on the car. Then they did quartz coating on the whole thing. It's uber shiny now, and really smooth. I drove home in a cloud of bugs at twilight, so I was cringing that I'd probably have a massive bug carcass collection on the nose. Much to my surprise, there were very few and they came off easily with a little waterless wash and microfiber.

A quick update. My Model 3 was delivered on Sept. 10. Just received my Texas plates yesterday by FedEx. The car is amazing. I took it to the Cedar Springs Service Center this morning for a few minor things (bad rattle in dash board, a few small misaligned panels and some weatherstripping at the windows that is coming loose). What a great and easy experience to schedule and on the intake side. The people who work at Tesla seem to be pretty easy going and friendly. Received a Models S P100D as my loaner! Talk about acceleration!
Ooo maybe this means I'll get mine soon too? I picked up on 9/8. I'm, of course, on the second side of my temp plate, but my vanity plate has been waiting at the Southlake Town Hall DMV office for a couple weeks now. Anxious to get it all final.

Ooo maybe this means I'll get mine soon too? I picked up on 9/8. I'm, of course, on the second side of my temp plate, but my vanity plate has been waiting at the Southlake Town Hall DMV office for a couple weeks now. Anxious to get it all final.
Can’t you pick up the vanity plates and skip a step? I had to register my Model S myself 2+ years ago, so this may be different, but I was able to pick up my vanity plates as soon as they were available and never had regular plates on the car. You might want to call and check if you already haven’t.

Can’t you pick up the vanity plates and skip a step? I had to register my Model S myself 2+ years ago, so this may be different, but I was able to pick up my vanity plates as soon as they were available and never had regular plates on the car. You might want to call and check if you already haven’t.
Vanity plates doesn't have to be associated with any vehicles. But if you pick up the vanity plates now, you'll have to make another trip to the DMV to associate it with the new car when it comes.

Ordered mine today. I will be out the country from December 15th through the end of the year. Hopefully 9 weeks is enough time to get it here. Base version with autopilot in black.

How soon do I need to get insurance? It sounds like Progressive is my best bet after checking a few places.
Most insurance company will give you a 30 day grace period if you are already insured with them, I know for sure Progressive does. You will need proof of insurance for Tesla to process your registration paperwork though. So some time after your pickup, your IDA should email you and request proof of insurance for your new car.

I am probably switching insurers for this car after using allstate for years. It is about a $30 a month difference for better coverage. The only concern is whether I need new car replacement insurance or just use gap insurance. Not sure if progressive offered that. Can I just start a new policy once I know the car is on the way? I wasn't sure if that holds up paperwork being sent out after ordering. No reason to pay for it until the car is almost in my possession are my thoughts.

I am probably switching insurers for this car after using allstate for years. It is about a $30 a month difference for better coverage. The only concern is whether I need new car replacement insurance or just use gap insurance. Not sure if progressive offered that. Can I just start a new policy once I know the car is on the way? I wasn't sure if that holds up paperwork being sent out after ordering. No reason to pay for it until the car is almost in my possession are my thoughts.
Progressive does offer GAP coverage. You can add the car to your policy as soon as you have a VIN number. But like I said, most companies give you a 30 days grace period where your new car is covered under your existing policy with the same terms and coverage limits. I didn't add mine until 2 weeks after my pickup, when my IDA asked for proof of insurance.

Most insurance company will give you a 30 day grace period if you are already insured with them, I know for sure Progressive does. You will need proof of insurance for Tesla to process your registration paperwork though. So sometime after your pickup, your IDA should email you and request proof of insurance for your new car.
Or you could add the car to your insurance one hour before your delivery... print out the proof of insurance... and then have the delivery center make a copy of it. Only to have then lose it... and contact you 45 days later asking for updated insurance information because your "delay" in providing the information is delaying their processing the registration.

That email conversation was almost as interesting as the phone call I got almost 30 days after delivery asking when Tesla would receive full payment for the car. ROFL

Tesla had my full payment on July 23rd, forty days prior to delivery. Lucky I sent the check registered mail return receipt and had copies of everything.

Absolutely love the car though and service was great fixing an issue I had with my dash.

Is it better to just get insurance to cover gap then the loan? I am switching insurers so the 30 day grace period is irrelevant. As long as I just need to start the policy before receiving the car is all I need.

Also, Does the down payment go to my bank or Tesla? Not sure if that matters. Last time I financed through Toyota and wrote them a check. Still debating on how much down I will put. Do I need to take care of that before Monday, or is the ball rolling now since I ordered it?

I will add that I am in the boat of not having to wait at all. My car is ready to go at the Dallas Service Center and am just finalizing all my paperwork after ordering Friday. I expected to be waiting a while, but that is not the case. Just not sure if there is anything I should be worried about if the car was previously rejected or anything else. Is there anything I should ask about on that front since it was ready to go in Dallas?

I am still a little antsy just because this is a huge commitment moving quickly, and this morning my boss called an unexpected meeting which seemed to have uncertainty with how it was scheduled. Luckily it was him getting a promotion, so no worries. My job is a critical function, but it has been slow in my department lately. Getting the Model 3 will push me to want to climb more ladders at work and possibly go back for my engineering degree. I haven't pushed myself much lately and need to. This gives me a kick to move forward.

Probably will turn in all the paperwork tomorrow. Otherwise good to go.

Also, where do I find information out about my vin?

I will add that I am in the boat of not having to wait at all. My car is ready to go at the Dallas Service Center and am just finalizing all my paperwork after ordering Friday. I expected to be waiting a while, but that is not the case. Just not sure if there is anything I should be worried about if the car was previously rejected or anything else. Is there anything I should ask about on that front since it was ready to go in Dallas?

I am still a little antsy just because this is a huge commitment moving quickly, and this morning my boss called an unexpected meeting which seemed to have uncertainty with how it was scheduled. Luckily it was him getting a promotion, so no worries. My job is a critical function, but it has been slow in my department lately. Getting the Model 3 will push me to want to climb more ladders at work and possibly go back for my engineering degree. I haven't pushed myself much lately and need to. This gives me a kick to move forward.

Probably will turn in all the paperwork tomorrow. Otherwise good to go.

Also, where do I find information out about my vin?

You should be VERY careful about accepting delivery, given your report that you just ordered it days ago. For starters, Tesla is not allowed to legally sell you a new car that is in Texas when you ordered it. They are supposed to accept payment and then ship the car in. So, they could be breaking the law or else not selling you a new car.

Secondly, they are almost surely not holding inventory here as that would be even more illegal. So, there is high possibility they are selling you a car that had delivery rejected by previous customer - that would explain why its here and ready to sell to you.

I would request all the background documentation on the car before accepting and paying - when was it built? When was it shipped? CarFax report? Post manufacturing work done? Previously assigned a VIN?

I asked about it and they said it just arrived in Houston. The original comment was it was onsite, so I assumed Dallas, but I guess some Tesla lot somewhere in the country. The vin is in the 56k range and shows July as the manufacturing date. I will see if there is any more info they can add about it, but they said it arrived in Houston yesterday and will undergo its final checks. Will finish my loan tomorrow and not sure how long it will take from there to get my delivery date.

What was the place to check cars in shipping? May look into that. July does seem like a while ago for the car to be manufactured though. The miles are listed as 50. I did check carfax and it shows no history.

The adviser seemed to avoid answering the question I asked and just said it arrived in Houston yesterday. All communication with the Dallas IDA was done via email, and my Tesla Fort Worth advisor is off work today. Will get him to double check tomorrow.

Last edited: