TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Texas Hold Up!

Discussion in 'Texas' started by chojn1, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Sneakerbuddy

Sneakerbuddy Banned

To comply with Texas law, they are not allowed to sell you a new car that is located in the state when you pay for it. That activity can only be performed by a dealer and Tesla is legally prohibited from acting as a dealer (as are all other OEM’s). Tesla does not have a license to sell new cars in the Texas. In other words, they can only sell new cars that are located out of state. So, the sequence they are proposing to you (selling you a new car now located in Houston) is illegal.

Most likely, they shipped the car to Houston for delivery to a buyer there. That car was apparently not acceptable to the buyer or there was some other problem at the time of delivery.

Buyer beware.....

2. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

As far as that goes, does it have to be fully paid for before they can ship it here, or does ordering it start the process?

My local service rep just said it was made for the service center and didn't get used. Not sure which one specifically. I was told it had just arrived in Houston, so could have been a state or 2 over.

As long as it is good to go with no issues, I should be fine. Are there any issues the car could have that wouldn't be able to be fixed?

3. MadTerriers

MadTerriers Member

Just returned from a successful delivery in Dallas; only twelve days from first contact to delivery! (Silver AWD non-P) The door panel shows it was built October 2018, so they are definitely improving the turnaround times to Texas!

• Like x 2
  4. Sneakerbuddy

Sneakerbuddy Banned

“Made for the service center and didn’t get used”???? That sounds fishy to me. I am pretty sure they would use early VINs or delivery rejects as loaners. I would absolutely insist on knowing whether the VIN had been assigned to someone and/or offered for delivery. Maybe go on to TMC spreadsheet and see if you can match your car to a Houston buyer.

I have not heard of any issue that cant be fixed but I have heard of plenty of lemon law lawsuits and along with long service wait times combined with numerous trips for service. If there is paint problems, then the body shop might file a CarFax on your car which could damage future resale.

5. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Last of the Metallic Silvers? When did you order?

6. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

What spreadsheet is it? I was interested in looking up any info on the VIN and anything about tracking the car during shipping and don't know where to look on that. The only thing I checked so far was carfax and nothing came up.

Still waiting to hear back on delivery, and not sure if they got my bank payment yet. The MVPA was signed Thursday.

7. hmerrill3

hmerrill3 Member

#3267 hmerrill3, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Start reading, go back to page 99 or so in this thread and read forward until at least page 158. Shipment tracking instructions can be found there. And a whole lot of history.

Spreadsheet is here.

8. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

Good to go.

Here was the shipment tracker.
    Delivery Receipts - United Road

My vin was not found on it. Not sure if it had history or just what is in process. I checked the full vin and last 8 digits.

Either way, I am picking it up Saturday and was told it was not used in showrooms or for test drives. If it is good to go I will probably be fine with it. Will just have my checklist with me and may double check for any service records before accepting it.

9. Notsomuch

Notsomuch Member

Well, third unsuccessful delivery attempt 123 days after configuration, 52 days after full payment.

How can you tell if the car is actually performance model? The monroney said it was not, the VIN just says dual motor, the display says dual motor with no underline. But they swear it is performance. There should be something verifiable on the car itself.

10. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

full payment yesterday. Will see how long this takes.

Had to push back a few times due to family emergencies.

Black AWD, aero wheels, EAP to Austin.

11. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Stopwatch.

It should have the underline on the display from what I have read. Wrong firmware.

I’m not sure what to think on the hardware. Lots of speculation.

12. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

Mine has the red underline...

13. Notsomuch

Notsomuch Member

1. they won't let me drive it until I sign on the dotted line that I accept it. Catch-22.

2. I shouldn't have to do something dangerous like try to time a 0-60 on public streets to prove I got what I paid for

3. the burden is on them to prove they are selling me what is listed in the MVPA

14. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Agree.

15. xiu92

xiu92 Member

Why was it a fail this time?

16. Notsomuch

Notsomuch Member

They could not confirm that the car they were trying to deliver is the car I ordered.

17. xiu92

xiu92 Member

Well ... I don't really know what to say

18. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

My window sticker doesn't say Performance, neither does my Tesla account online. I do have the red underline though.

19. Notsomuch

Notsomuch Member

They were definitely trying to pass off an AWD as a P3. I'm getting mad now.

20. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

How were you able to finally confirm it?