Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea this really makes no sense and no rhyme or reason to their method.

I am trying not to be a negative nancy but I have a hard time they will even make the confirmed delivery date because ya know...Tesla. I hope I am wrong and next Tuesday is the day but I fully expect a phone call with a "welllllll, sorry to say this but the delivery has been delayed."

I will mute the phone and X%#@ curse up a storm.

I hear ya. Complicating things, too, is the challenge of juggling the delivery to line up with spring break plans and the XPEL wrap person's calendar.

I was up all night waiting :).

How many other 3s did you see. Did you feel like it was a single truckload or more significant.

(Austin line waiter, noonish ~30000 globally)
I was at the SC Wednesday morning, there were about 8 model 3s in the parking lot. 1 blue and 2 white in front, and a dark silver metallic, 2 black and a silver I think in the back. No red, which was a bummer because I can't make up my mind between white and read.

I was at the SC Wednesday morning, there were about 8 model 3s in the parking lot. 1 blue and 2 white in front, and a dark silver metallic, 2 black and a silver I think in the back. No red, which was a bummer because I can't make up my mind between white and read.

I'm hoping a truck shows up with the first batch of red ones over the next week or so -- ours should be on it.

Reactions: likeafox
Just got my VIN this morning! Configured 2/14, Midnight Silver with Sport Wheels, 78xx VIN! San Antonio

Congrats! But now I got to say WTH. I configured over 2 weeks before you on 1/27 and still haven't received my VIN. I figured it was a San Antonio issue.

I read where someone had a theory that it related to the type of wheels ordered. Guess Tesla is making these in batches and they're currently making the sport wheel optioned cars. I have 18 inch Aeros selected.

Some notes my ISA sent over last night in my delivery confirmation email:

Requests for changes to paperwork, such as adding additional registrants, cannot be accommodated on delivery day.
Please ensure that Model 3 is on your insurance policy at the time of delivery.
Please bring valid driver’s license for all registrants.
Still setup for March 8th, 11AM in Dallas

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and benjiejr
Sorry y'all. I didn't get home until 2:00 this morning because my buddies insisted I keep driving them around and I was exhausted. I had to get up early, too, so I'm going off of very little sleep. Forgive me for what follows.

Let me start with the actual delivery experience. I showed up a few minutes early and they were ready for me. They took me to the delivery bay, where my car was waiting. It was the only Model 3 in there, but there are more at the SC. The very first thing my guy said was that they had a scratch on the driver's side door that couldn't be buffed out and will require body shop repair. He was apologetic and said they'll obviously take care of it and me. He then invited me to inspect the hell out of it before I signed the final delivery paper, which I did. Found two tiny chips. He took pictures of them and added them to the list of things needing repair. No panel gaps. No sunken hood. No misalignments. No roof glass issues. No nothin'. After that, he was getting ready for the demo portion and I told him honestly I don't need it because I've consumed every piece of content ever produced about the car at least 6 times while waiting. He laughed and said no problem. Enjoy the hell out of the car and I'll call you tomorrow to let you know about the repair items. I inspected the car for about 30 solid minutes and the rest of the experience was about 30 seconds. The guy was cool and happy to help any way he could. I never felt like he was trying to get me out of there.

On to the car itself. First, I'm not a prior owner. My last car was a 2011 Kia Soul. I've never driven or ridden in another Tesla, nor have I owned any luxury cars, although I have ridden in them at various times. Obviously, that background frames my view of the Model 3. Take this all with a huge grain of salt, if you must. OK. Here we go:

Because I had basically already watched every video ever made about the car, I already knew the UI. There was no acclimation time. No learning curve. I immediately knew how to do whatever I wanted to do. I set a few of the essential settings in the parking lot and off we went. I did not "drop the hammer" immediately. I first wanted to get acclimated to the regenerative braking and get a few miles of easy driving in so as not to make myself and my passengers sick. As we drove around I immediately noticed the instant torque and linear acceleration. It was very noticeable to me, even without punching it. I also was struck by how quiet and smooth the ride was. I was so worried about the suspension because of all the bitching I've seen online. I was shocked at how bad it wasn't. I kept waiting for the harsh bumps, etc. and never got any of it. Again, this could be because of my prior experience. All I know is the ride felt great to me and my buddy, who is a BMW 5 series owner. The regenerative braking did take a while for me to get the hang of (truth be told I'm still getting the hang of it almost 24 hours later), but I got to the point where it wasn't nauseating and decided it was time to really see what the car could do. We came to a red light right in front of an on-ramp to the highway and I was first at the light. With no heads up to my passengers, I gunned it once the light turned green. Both of them gasped/squealed. I couldn't see their heads to know if they were thrown back in the seat or not, but I assume they were ;). Although I had read and anticipated the takeoff, I was still shocked at the actual experience of it. I don't really know what else to say other than it is awesome. If you're a previous owner you already know and won't be impressed. Everyone else, I think, will be.

I won't bore you with the exact details of the rest of my day, but I spent it taking various buddies, or groups of them, around town. All of them were floored by the car aesthetically and in terms of performance. Every single one had an audible and visceral reaction when I floored it. All were in unanimous agreement that the clean and minimalist aesthetic of both the interior and exterior were home runs. Several of them were very surprised by the roominess of the car and were expecting something much more cramped. I also got a kick out of people's reaction to autopilot once I took my hands off of the wheel. Most of them had an "Oh *sugar* we're going to die" reaction immediately. Then, after a second or two, it turned to "Holy *sugar* this thing is not going to kill us", which then gave way to "This thing is actually driving like a human. WTF?" While most of them were familiar with Tesla and the whole "electric car thing", almost none of them were aware of the self-driving capabilities or, if they were, they thought it was some future thing that may happen someday. No one was expecting it to be able to do what it did right now. I could go on and on, but I won't. Bottom line: universal praise from everyone who got in it.

Only negative so far is the front USB ports appear not to be working. I've contacted the SC and they will address that while they've got the car for paint repairs. Other than that, everything is AMAZEBALLS. I LOVE this car. I'm kind of now regretting not getting a Model S years ago. To make matters worse, my wife now wants a Model X ;)

Speaking of the paint repairs, I'm scheduled to take the car in tomorrow morning to drop it off. If anyone in Austin would like to see it tonight, I may be able to accommodate you. I say may because my boss is in town and I don't know yet if we're on the hook to entertain and feed him tonight. If not tonight, I'll do it as soon as I get the car back, but by then others will probably have taken delivery. I'll update once I know my schedule for tonight.

Some notes my ISA sent over last night in my delivery confirmation email:

Requests for changes to paperwork, such as adding additional registrants, cannot be accommodated on delivery day.
Please ensure that Model 3 is on your insurance policy at the time of delivery.
Please bring valid driver’s license for all registrants.
Still setup for March 8th, 11AM in Dallas
Yep. Had to show insurance yesterday.

If anyone in Austin would like to see it tonight, I may be able to accommodate you. I say may because my boss is in town and I don't know yet if we're on the hook to entertain and feed him tonight. If not tonight, I'll do it as soon as I get the car back, but by then others will probably have taken delivery. I'll update once I know my schedule for tonight.
I'm glad you're enjoying your 3! What part of town do you live in, if you were free this evening?