Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget you might have 5k additional expenses
here's a break down of my aftermarket upgrades.

I'm going tint entire car - 3M Crystalline
XPEL Ultimate Protection
Opti coat pro
All Weather Mats
Powder coating sport wheels - Black Satin
I also will buy black lug nuts and wheel locks
Front and Rear Dashcam

Worth the wait.
MVIMG_20180317_143840.jpg

Quick delivery notes from my phone:
  • Delivery with 3 other cars- silver, gray, white, and mine. Everyone showed up 10 min early and we started right at 11.
  • First they have you download the app, then one DS demonstrates setting up your phone as a key. Then everyone goes to their own car and checks it out with their own DS.
  • Not much in the way of instructions from the DS. Didn't go over AP or charging. Just very basics.
  • Car looked great - no sunk hood or other issues. No rattles.
  • The DS said he couldn't tell me how to take the aero covers off. But a service tech took them off one of the other owner's and installed the aero cover kit. He'd ordered his a while ago. They didn't have any on hand so I ordered one through the SC.
  • They wouldn't swap the iPhone charging cable for a USB C, but someone else wanted 2 iPhone cables so we just swapped right there.
  • Die cast Model 3 was waiting in the center console. Doesn't match your car color, unless you bought red.
  • After you're done you sign the paperwork and are out of there. 30 min total.
The car itself is amazing, as others have reported. Very tight and timble. As quick or maybe a tick quicker than my S 85. The interior really blows people's minds. Maybe it's because I have been looking at pics of it for 2 years, but I had sort of known what to expect. To other people the screen and AP and general minimalism is really futuristic.

How would you guys say the ride quality and road noise level is here on oir typical side streets and concrete freeways (maybe as compared to your Ses)?

I drove up Inwood a couple blocks before I hopped on the tolway to get a feel for the car. Inwood is a really bad road, and I'd say the ride is less luxurious than the S. Less floaty. But it is not harsh. I had air suspension on my S.

• Informative
Reactions: geoffreak
We finally took delivery today! I guess we were there with Boourns and didn't even know it. The car is perfect and drives great. I'm still trying to find out how to link individual phones to driver's profiles and can't seem to find the energy graph that we have on our X. I was the one who had ordered the center caps back in January anticipating huge demand and the Service center installed them for me.
tess.jpg

How would you guys say the ride quality and road noise level is here on oir typical side streets and concrete freeways (maybe as compared to your Ses)?

I keep harping back to this 3000 road trip but I learned so much about this car and ran it through the ringer and wasn’t gentle on it at all.

Road noise is subpar in comparison to the S or X. Much louder. Not to a point where it’s annoying or bad but if coming from an S you will definitely notice. Ride is much harsher and stiffer than an S. I enjoyed it though as it felt sportier and more responsive being so light in comparison.

This isn’t a huge cruiser like an S but it’s very comfy (seats are much much better imo), the cabin is beautiful and so spacious with tons of storage and the screen....man that screen! So responsive, high res, and such a joy to ride with.

I keep harping back to this 3000 road trip but I learned so much about this car and ran it through the ringer and wasn’t gentle on it at all.

Road noise is subpar in comparison to the S or X. Much louder. Not to a point where it’s annoying or bad but if coming from an S you will definitely notice. Ride is much harsher and stiffer than an S. I enjoyed it though as it felt sportier and more responsive being so light in comparison.

This isn’t a huge cruiser like an S but it’s very comfy (seats are much much better imo), the cabin is beautiful and so spacious with tons of storage and the screen....man that screen! So responsive, high res, and such a joy to ride with.
Thanks CN. I figure you now have as many or more miles on your Texas based 3 as anyone! Did your Model S have the coil suspension or air? I am assuming your car's build date was well after the December 27 cutoff and has the "softer" suspension already.

A bit disappointing about the road noise since I have never considered that to be a strong point for the S. Honestly, I assumed it would continue to be mediocre given they retained the frameless doors.

Really wish they would open up test drives (if not to the general public, at least to those - like me - who have received invites to configure). It would let me know if the coil suspension is acceptable (at least as compared to my P85+), or if I need to hold out for the air suspension. I'd actually like the idea of going with the coil suspension to save some coin AND I suspect this car will get a lot of support from the aftermarket (given its higher volumes) and we'll see coil springs and dampers coming out that might improve things as well. Heck, Unplugged performance appears to already have dual rate springs out to "soften" the ride...you won't see "air suspension" replacements from the aftermarket typically.

Look forward to your continued feedback.

My red one should be arriving end of next week in houston.
I may have seen yours yesterday! Was driving by and stopped in, the lot was jam packed back there (and a lot of different vehicles from earlier this week). There were two reds on 19" (yet to be prepped), both 78xx. There was also a silver, which I also hadn't seen in person. Both work better for me than I had expected. I'd put them tied 2nd behind the blue on my personal list, maybe a slight edge to silver.

On the other hand I showed the wife a short video of a Gloss Flip Deep Space 3M wrap (not on a Model 3). She liked what she saw enough we're going to try find that and the Electric Wave flip on a car in person. I imagine we'd do a chrome delete with those, factory chrome would likely just distract/detract.

EDIT: Have now seen all options in person. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for any of the colour choices. Even the flat black for the slightly lower price, especially if you're planning a full wrap.

P.S. As I was pulling out onto the street from behind Stripes with my arctic blue Bolt someone was pulling in with a red, nose-cone S and waved to me I think. They were thinking "Hi, silly troll"? :)

Last edited:
Thanks CN. I figure you now have as many or more miles on your Texas based 3 as anyone! Did your Model S have the coil suspension or air? I am assuming your car's build date was well after the December 27 cutoff and has the "softer" suspension already.

Yes my build date is much after the coil cutoff.

I dont want you to feel it is overly loud or maybe I exaggerated but its definitely louder than my S and on perfect streets its still that very quiet ride though. On normal, highway roads at higher speeds it is quite louder. Again though, I have the 19 sports and was going 80-85 consistently.

City driving, you really would not notice it too much and i even had guests get in the car for test drives and they were amazed at the silence coming from their ICE vehicles so there is that.

Now thats disappointing...

It did strike me the moment I drove it home from the SC the differences in ride coming from the S. I knew it was coming and I was prepared but it definitely strikes you if the S is your daily driver.

After many miles now though I would say i have acclimated to it and it doesnt stand out in the negative as much but the positive definitely is a treat each time you drive as it darts and feels light as a feather on acceleration and so much quicker than my S.

I honestly did not notice a discernible difference between my S and the 3. I will say that, though, with the following caveats:
1. I had a very early S. VIN in the P02400s.
2. I have been without my S for about 4 weeks, daily driving my wife's Volvo.
3. My 3 has aeros.
4. I've only had one drive up the toll way home. About 30 miles from the SC.

How are you guys washing your 3s here in North Texas?

I have always done a touchless car wash type wash and have tried ONR multiple times and its great but it does take some time.

Trying to find a quick, painless wash for the 3 in the area has been unsuccessful as they all have those spinning brushes.