Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got it tinted (partially...read the rest of the story below) and SunTek PPF the full front at Sun Tint here in Austin after two weeks of waiting....a shout out to Ronnie at Sun Tint for a job well done and an extremely competitive price on the PPF. One big surprise though: we noticed a 3/8" dia. glass chip in the rear glass during the walk thru before the install. I was shocked and started to wonder how we got a chip with only 200 miles of driving in the 3.5 weeks of ownership. Then my friend "woke" me up from my deep thoughts: "It is very difficult to get a rock to hit the glass that hard to cause the crack/chip in the rear". Bingo! It must be during the open trailer transport from the back of the car facing the cab of the truck. So I called the Austin Tesla SC and told the rep the problem, he told me to send him some photos and the VIN and they will let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4583.PNG
    IMG_4583.PNG
    957.1 KB · Views: 81
Finally got it tinted (partially...read the rest of the story below) and SunTek PPF the full front at Sun Tint here in Austin after two weeks of waiting....a shout out to Ronnie at Sun Tint for a job well done and an extremely competitive price on the PPF. One big surprise though: we noticed a 3/8" dia. glass chip in the rear glass during the walk thru before the install. I was shocked and started to wonder how we got a chip with only 200 miles of driving in the 3.5 weeks of ownership. Then my friend "woke" me up from my deep thoughts: "It is very difficult to get a rock to hit the glass that hard to cause the crack/chip in the rear". Bingo! It must be during the open trailer transport from the back of the car facing the cab of the truck. So I called the Austin Tesla SC and told the rep the problem, he told me to send him some photos and the VIN and they will let me know.
Because I have to ask...how much did you pay for the tint job/ppf? did they also do a ceramic coating over the ppf? And what brand tint did they use/are they able to do the back all in 1 piece? (I know they didn't do it bc of the glass chip, just checking)

Because I have to ask...how much did you pay for the tint job/ppf? did they also do a ceramic coating over the ppf? And what brand tint did they use/are they able to do the back all in 1 piece? (I know they didn't do it bc of the glass chip, just checking)

Solar Gard Ultra Performance on the tint...I paid $275 on the four windows and $1,000 on the PPF, no ceramic coating. I have Xpel on my MS but I want to go lower budget on the M3 as my wife said she might go back to bimmer after a year or so. I thought the SunTek film is just as good with the same 10 yrs warranty, self-healing feature & etc....Ronnie also installed PPF on the rocker panels for me no charge so I don't have to worry about splash guards...

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: likeafox
Line waiter 3/31 in Denver CO
Live in San Antonio now
Invite 4/6, configured 4/10
Said 3-6 week delivery
Red, Aero, EAP
All paperwork done as much as possible on the website.
Loan done & good until end of May.
When configuring Tesla had my CO address for delivery, which I changed to San Antonio. Funny because I changed my address in My Tesla account 1.5 yrs ago.
As of today 4/20, no VIN, no call from Tesla.

How long should I wait until I call them?

Live in San Antonio now
Said 3-6 week delivery
Red, Aero, EAP
When configuring Tesla had my CO address for delivery, which I changed to San Antonio. Funny because I changed my address in My Tesla account 1.5 yrs ago.

I received my invite and ordered both on 4/6, still no VIN. I'd assume that after this week's production shutdown things should start moving quickly again. I'll be reaching out to my ISA next Friday if I still haven't heard anything.

Reactions: Tina C
Live in San Antonio now
Said 3-6 week delivery
Red, Aero, EAP

My impression from reading various messages about VIN assignment and delivery, is that currently people who got invite and configured around 03/22 are being serviced now. So, that's about 4 weeks lag.

I am in the same boat like you, invited on 04/06, configured on 04/10. I am hoping, I will see a VIN by 05/10.

Interesting! You have ISA assigned to you even before VIN has come through?
I cheated the system. When filling out all the fields after configuring, a chat box popped up asking if I had questions. Wasn't sure about what was needed for insurance so I started a chat. The kind Tesla rep told me she'd contact my ISA with my question and he reached out to me (of course about a week after I'd gotten the answer on the forum). So now I have a contact whenever my VIN gets assigned, which will happen never

Reactions: Tina C
Solar Gard Ultra Performance on the tint...I paid $275 on the four windows and $1,000 on the PPF, no ceramic coating. I have Xpel on my MS but I want to go lower budget on the M3 as my wife said she might go back to bimmer after a year or so. I thought the SunTek film is just as good with the same 10 yrs warranty, self-healing feature & etc....Ronnie also installed PPF on the rocker panels for me no charge so I don't have to worry about splash guards...

I guess you didn’t tint the back because of the chip? Are you going to tint it? Can Sun Tint do it all with one piece?

So how much (if any) of the TX registration process does Tesla handle before you take delivery? I ask because I'll probably be wanting to put business vanity plates on the car ASAP.. just wondering if I'll be able to do that right away or what.
Tesla handles it all and it takes roughly 30-45 days. Once you get the generic plate & registration from Tesla, you can go to the County Tax Assessor/Collector's office to swap to your plate.

• Informative
Reactions: LonestarV
DFW folks, has anyone thought of checking in with SpeedShield about a group buy discount for tinting and/or the PPF ? Believe they are the only authorized installer for Photosync.

Something similar to what they did in San Diego - read about this on reddit this morning: San Diego Tint & Wrap Group Buy and basic info sharing • r/teslamotors

I reached out to SpeedShield on Tuesday, but never heard back from them. I prodded them again on Friday (after hours) and finally heard back from them this morning.

Thanks for the inquiry. Sorry for any delay, we are swamped with installs.
We do all demonstrations and pricing in person.
Please swing by the shop between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. M-F.
Call before you haul as we close for lunch whenever we can spare the time.

So yeah, not very helpful. I'm not a huge fan of businesses that try to obscure pricing and try to get you to come in before talking with you (cough cough car dealerships cough). Is anyone that already has their 3 willing to stop by and get a quote for Photosync?

Honestly, I visit Austin frequently enough it might be worth checking out the Austin installer. It's a real shame that there is only one installer per major metropolitan area here in Texas. I might just end up sticking to the classic tint for this reason alone.

Interesting! You have ISA assigned to you even before VIN has come through?

Your isa is assigned when you order. You can call and find out who your isa is after configuring.
I reached out to SpeedShield on Tuesday, but never heard back from them. I prodded them again on Friday (after hours) and finally heard back from them this morning.

So yeah, not very helpful. I'm not a huge fan of businesses that try to obscure pricing and try to get you to come in before talking with you (cough cough car dealerships cough). Is anyone that already has their 3 willing to stop by and get a quote for Photosync?

Honestly, I visit Austin frequently enough it might be worth checking out the Austin installer. It's a real shame that there is only one installer per major metropolitan area here in Texas. I might just end up sticking to the classic tint for this reason alone.

I know it's a bit far, but Houston has a good Photosync shop, EVS Motors. You can PM them on these forums, very responsive and upfront about pricing. They've done quite a few 3's already. Used them for my Wife's car, great install.

I've read many stories about the soft paint and coatings, wraps, high dollar tints, etc. for Tesla, but I'm with you. Why is it that it seems anything you might want to do or need with the Tesla costs 10 times as much. Whatever happened to the good ol' tint that has worked for 20 - 30 years? Many report that the glass roof really doesn't make the car all that much hotter, so I don't think this is about heat really. I do think some tint on the windows can still look nice, but not at $800-$1200. Maybe it's just been too long since I've had any work like this done (and it has been 12 years or more), but I'm not getting it.

Sad to say, but I have read enough stories to think there could be some "soft" paint issues on Tesla and lots swear by the ceramic coatings, but detailers want $1200 and up to do on a new car. You can buy the kits for $120 and watch youtube videos all day long on how to apply. Doesn't seem to be rocket science. Just seem to be a lot of entrepreneurs that seem to think Tesla owners are made of money, and maybe the original ones were, but it's changing. I just need some good ol' regular tint.

Reactions: Electroman
I've read many stories about the soft paint and coatings, wraps, high dollar tints, etc. for Tesla, but I'm with you. Why is it that it seems anything you might want to do or need with the Tesla costs 10 times as much. Whatever happened to the good ol' tint that has worked for 20 - 30 years? Many report that the glass roof really doesn't make the car all that much hotter, so I don't think this is about heat really. I do think some tint on the windows can still look nice, but not at $800-$1200. Maybe it's just been too long since I've had any work like this done (and it has been 12 years or more), but I'm not getting it.

Sad to say, but I have read enough stories to think there could be some "soft" paint issues on Tesla and lots swear by the ceramic coatings, but detailers want $1200 and up to do on a new car. You can buy the kits for $120 and watch youtube videos all day long on how to apply. Doesn't seem to be rocket science. Just seem to be a lot of entrepreneurs that seem to think Tesla owners are made of money, and maybe the original ones were, but it's changing. I just need some good ol' regular tint.
You can’t use “good ol tint that has worked for 20-30 years” because that’s metallic and will interfere with all the electronics (GPS, etc). You need a ceramic film. This doesn’t have to cost what photosync does, you can get ceramic film done for $400-500 depending on brand, but stay away from the $99 specials!

As you’re in Dallas, you could check out the XPEL factory store there. I had my Model 3 done at XPEL in Austin and their ceramic window film (Prime XR) was $399 for sides and rear, less 10% Tesla club discount.

• Informative
Reactions: LonestarV and GDNTX
FWIW, We used a local DFW installer for window tint for our 2015 Model S when it was new. I initially did some research on tint and also found that the pricing was outrageous. We went with LLUMAR CTX Signal-enabling Window Film. In 2015 we got it for $340 and we have been very happy with the performance. I think it is crazy that some shops want to charge crazy high prices and really, shops like Speed Shield who say that they only quote on premises just screams that they think their time is more important than yours is. I have more to do with my time than drive all over town looking for vendors.

We used the LLUMAR CTX on another new vehicle in 2011 and 7 years later, it still looks and performs great...no discoloration, no bubbles or peeling.

For grins I shot them an email asking for a quote on a Tesla Model S--With Pano Ceramic Tint is $380

Subject: RE: Message for Glacier Window Tinting-2015 Tesla Model S
“Hello,

For your vehicle, as long as there is no previous film that we would have to remove first, we have a few different options. We have a standard, dyed film that costs $149.99 for the whole vehicle. If you were looking for some more heat rejection, we carry a metalized film for $179.99. For the most heat rejection and no interference with electronics, we also carry a ceramic film for $259.99. All of these prices include tax, installation, and a lifetime warranty.
The Panoramic roof runs an extra $80.00 for the standard film, $100.00 for the metalized film and $120.00 for the Ceramic film.

For more information, give us a call at (817)860-8535 and we can schedule you an appointment.

Thank you for your time, we hope to hear back from you soon!”

Glacier Window Tinting
2500 S. Cooper St.
Arlington, TX 76015

Phone:
817-860-8535

Email:
[email protected]

This thread has been very good for a few different things, so wondering if anyone in the North Dallas area has a good recommendations for Paintless dent repair/hail damage repair? Have a few small dings on the car we are trading in / selling and figure it will be better if we get those taken care of. I've called one, but he is covered and hasn't gotten back to us. Any recommendations appreciated.