Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, are you guys keeping or selling your Model Ses to get the 3? I sort of assumed I would sell my S if I pulled the trigger on my config invite, but it could go to my wife (since she drives it 90% of the time anyway!).

We are keeping our Model S, selling our ancient Highlander, and will now be a no-ICE family. We've joked that we'll no longer argue over who gets to drive the Tesla each day. Instead, we'll argue over who drives which Tesla each day.

Is this from check/cash to Tesla to coordinate delivery or which timeframe? Tesla wont get a check until Wednesday due to the holiday today so probably looking at the same window as you if that 10-15 days is true. :mad:
Maybe you'll be fortunate enough that the cash gets there in time, or they are holding for full loads anyway, and they all come together. Transit is only a couple days to the first stop in TX (about 24h road via north route to Dallas, same via south route to Austin), so chance none of these are on the road yet anyway.

Maybe you'll be fortunate enough that the cash gets there in time, or they are holding for full loads anyway, and they all come together. Transit is only a couple days to the first stop in TX (about 24h road via north route to Dallas, same via south route to Austin), so chance none of these are on the road yet anyway.

I like your optimism and trying to stay there myself. I mean, I guess I can wait another 2 weeks :rolleyes:

;)

Is this from check/cash to Tesla to coordinate delivery or which timeframe? Tesla wont get a check until Wednesday due to the holiday today so probably looking at the same window as you if that 10-15 days is true. :mad:
I understood it more as when we start the payment process it takes 10-15 days from that point. Bank holiday is slowing me down this week. I imagine I’ll have this ready by Thursday

I understood it more as when we start the payment process it takes 10-15 days from that point. Bank holiday is slowing me down this week. I imagine I’ll have this ready by Thursday

Thats good to hear. Check was supposed to get overnighted tomorrow meaning Tesla wont get it until Wednesday. I do not know if the Cedar Spring service center in dallas does weekend deliveries.

So in a perfect world:
Check Wednesday
Arrange shipping 1-2 days...bad assumption
Delivered to service center for inspection 1-2 days
Delivery available 2/26 at best

FYI: My payment was just posted to my Tesla account and my NV delivery person provided the following delivery estimate in response to my query:

"I will be working off the estimated time the system projects for your Model 3, which is currently 7-10 days.
This includes the following steps:
-Travel time from CA to TX
-Prep time for final inspection and detailing
-TX state inspection
If the vehicle is ready to go sooner than the system projects we will reschedule you to accommodate a quicker delivery."​

Tesla must have ran out of red paint because everyone in DFW still waiting for their VIN has a color other than red. Most of us configured a month ago.
FYI: My payment was just posted to my Tesla account and my NV delivery person provided the following delivery estimate in response to my query:

"I will be working off the estimated time the system projects for your Model 3, which is currently 7-10 days.
This includes the following steps:
-Travel time from CA to TX
-Prep time for final inspection and detailing
-TX state inspection
If the vehicle is ready to go sooner than the system projects we will reschedule you to accommodate a quicker delivery."​

I just talked to my LV person (Patrick...nice guy)... I finally called Tesla, wanted to make sure I hadn't forgotten to click some essential button in my configuration process (I hadn't). He did, however, unlock my trade-in portal (where you put in pics, etc), and said I'd get a quote in 24-48 hours after I finished that. He said that Texas tradeins were wonky, because you had to drop the car off before delivery (I had guessed that, but that's not an issue), and that they offer "wholesale", so I took that to mean they buy it from us then sell it to whoever.. and for the PITA factor, it's notably lower than what you could get even from a CarMax type sale.

But he said something very similar to what was described above... although he did say my car was anticipated to exit production "this week", but that 2 weeks for delivery is about right. I didn't ask for clarification of 2 weeks from when.. now? End of production? Payment?

So... here's hoping! And I just got a pretty solid sale offer from Vroom (about $1300 over KBB), so hopefully, selling to them is ok. Carmax always had like a 1.5 hour wait in San Antonio, whether or not you booked an appt (it was actually funny... whatever day I wanted to book an appointment, I got "Saturdays are our busiest days", then when I wanted to rebook for Monday, I got "Saturdays and Mondays are our busiest days".. I think I may try again on a Wednesday, and see if I get "Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays are our busiest days" :D), and the offer through KBB was exactly KBB... so if this Vroom thing works out (or even if I do the KBB one), I'm super likely to not do the trade-in...

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr and Cnasty
Sorry this is off topic, but this might be helpful information for others looking to trade in.

@gecko - Just FYI and YMMV - I didn't want to deal with a private sale, so I received 3 appraisals for my ICE car that the 3 is replacing:
  1. CarMax took 2 hours and they were the lowest offer. I felt like I wasted my time there and they kept trying to sell me another car.
  2. Vroom gave the next best offer and required that I upload about 10 specific pics and got back to me with an offer the next day.
  3. Carvana gave me the best offer and it was soooooo quick!! No exaggeration; I answered like 3 simple questions on their website (VIN, cosmetic condition, and mechanical condition) and it came back with an immediate offer. Since it was the best, I accepted and scheduled a drop-off time at the location at I-10/1604. When I arrived, the guy took my keys, started the car, looked it over for 2 minutes max, and then had me sign a few pieces of paper and I was done. The whole process took no more than 5 minutes. It was almost too easy. You might just see how Carvana compares to your other offers since it's quick and painless.
Good luck!

Sorry this is off topic, but this might be helpful information for others looking to trade in.

@gecko - Just FYI and YMMV - I didn't want to deal with a private sale, so I received 3 appraisals for my ICE car that the 3 is replacing:
  1. CarMax took 2 hours and they were the lowest offer. I felt like I wasted my time there and they kept trying to sell me another car.
  2. Vroom gave the next best offer and required that I upload about 10 specific pics and got back to me with an offer the next day.
  3. Carvana gave me the best offer and it was soooooo quick!! No exaggeration; I answered like 3 simple questions on their website (VIN, cosmetic condition, and mechanical condition) and it came back with an immediate offer. Since it was the best, I accepted and scheduled a drop-off time at the location at I-10/1604. When I arrived, the guy took my keys, started the car, looked it over for 2 minutes max, and then had me sign a few pieces of paper and I was done. The whole process took no more than 5 minutes. It was almost too easy. You might just see how Carvana compares to your other offers since it's quick and painless.
Good luck!
Thanks for that great info. I did the Carvana thing... You're not kidding... It is FAST! I got an offer for $14 less than what Vroom offered. I think I'll take that... Someone else said that scheduling could be tricky with Vroom, and since with Carvana, I drop it off, that seems easier.

But wow... Super fast! Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: benjiejr
Question for you all getting these offers from Carvana and Vroom, etc - are you really just selling your car to them and then paying full price for the M3? If so this is hurting your taxes, but I do understand the upside of not having to do a direct sale or taking a bath from Tesla on the trade.

Here is a question you should really ask Tesla - will they take a draft/payment from the company you've got the good bid from? Basically you are just getting a guaranteed price that Carvana/Vroom will purchase the car directly from Tesla, and you trade it in to Tesla. It's just a game everyone has to be willing to play and you benefit on the taxes as you get to use it as a trade in.

There is a wholesaler here in Dallas who most dealerships know (and I'm guessing there are many of them that do this). He will give you a value on your car and write the draft on the spot. It is usually good for 7 to 14 days (so you might have to go back to your buyer again once you get a delivery date). You take your trade with you on the day you pick up the car and hand them the draft. Treated just like a trade.

I'm guessing this might be a bit more difficult since the paperwork must be done in advance and the car funded before they Tesla will ship, but I'm sure if you do the leg work to get it worked out and Tesla is willing to take a trade, they should be very happy to take that draft as part of the payment. All of this may be wishful thinking on my part, may be too complicated with Tesla, but I've done it 3 times in the past 20 years with local dealers.

@GDNTX I originally planned to trade in to Tesla for the tax benefit, but as I thought about it more I felt like I might get a low offer from them that I would either accept because I'm lazy or not accept and have to sell on my own. Who knows if their offer + tax benefit would make up for other offers? So I got a couple appraisals and decided to trade the car in early to simplify my Model 3 purchase (at the expense of possibly getting a little less money).

As a side benefit of Tesla taking longer than I expected to deliver the 3, I've saved money on car insurance. So there's that. lol

@GDNTX I originally planned to trade in to Tesla for the tax benefit, but as I thought about it more I felt like I might get a low offer from them that I would either accept because I'm lazy or not accept and have to sell on my own. Who knows if their offer + tax benefit would make up for other offers? So I got a couple appraisals and decided to trade the car in early to simplify my Model 3 purchase (at the expense of possibly getting a little less money).

As a side benefit of Tesla taking longer than I expected to deliver the 3, I've saved money on car insurance. So there's that. lol
Thanks for clarifying, just didn't know if you'd evaluated or were just keeping it simple. I do understand the KISS principle, but I usually complicate it if I can - lol. I figure with Tesla and this deal I'm going to have to give up a bit and keep it simple, maybe losing on the trade proposition.

Reactions: benjiejr