Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not complaining - just another data point. No VIN or contact since configuring on 1/18.

By chance does anyone here happen to have Andres Ramirez for their contact? I called Tesla last Friday and was told that he’s my contact in Las Vegas. He was supposed to call me this morning but haven’t heard from him.

Got a bunch of paperwork from Tesla today via FedEx overnight. Power of Attorney, odometer disclosure and two others I can't remember off the top of my head. The cover letter said to fill out and send back ASAP because they need it before you can take delivery. It came with a pre-paid priority overnight label to send it back. Just a heads up. May want to be home the few days leading up to your delivery.

I'm inclined to take a swing at no-plate but I'm not sure yet. Before I moved to TX I hadn't had a front plate in a very long time, nearly 20 years, because it wasn't required locally. The pros/cons of them from a policy POV basically boil down to only two points:

no front plate = cheaper because you aren't spending money pressing a second plate for everyone (though this isn't that much of a factor anymore due to dropping real cost of manufacturing)
front plate = easier to generate revenue from tickets and such by using a camera to capture people's front plates

Umm, yeah. :rolleyes: No idea if there's much of a fuel economy factor.

Got a bunch of paperwork from Tesla today via FedEx overnight. Power of Attorney, odometer disclosure and two others I can't remember off the top of my head. The cover letter said to fill out and send back ASAP because they need it before you can take delivery. It came with a pre-paid priority overnight label to send it back. Just a heads up. May want to be home the few days leading up to your delivery.

Is this a Texas thing exclusively? Never heard of mailing stuff for a car before!

thanks for the heads up. My travel schedule is crazy next week so I'm going to get ahead of that tomorrow. Did you know it was coming, or did it just show up?

Is this a Texas thing exclusively? Never heard of mailing stuff for a car before!
It's a bizarre consequence of grotesque corruption in TX politics, where a dealership mogul had some rather extensive & comprehensive laws written to help him out in business by blocking auto-manufacturers from in any way operating in retail in the state. (it predates Tesla and the original guy that shelled out he brib...er, campaign donations is actually dead now)

Last edited:

Yes I got that same packet of stuff when I bought my Model S.

I believe I received a similar packet with my Model S purchase(s). Looking forward to hearing something besides crickets since I paid them in full 10 days ago.

When I bought my S in 2016, we had to do everything ourselves. We had to get temporary texas tags, register it, and pay taxes. When we bought our X in December, everything was done by Tesla in Las Vegas. They sent us some documents and we sent it back. When we picked up the car, we signed one piece of paper and left with the car, which had temporary texas tags. A few weeks later the plates arrived.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
When I bought my S in 2016, we had to do everything ourselves. We had to get temporary texas tags, register it, and pay taxes. When we bought our X in December, everything was done by Tesla in Las Vegas. They sent us some documents and we sent it back. When we picked up the car, we signed one piece of paper and left with the car, which had temporary texas tags. A few weeks later the plates arrived.

Please, tell me more about this concept of a car being delivered. That's something I'm having trouble imagining at this point...