Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible first issue or even user error.

Charge port door isn’t opening when parked and pressing the button on the charger. I have to manually reach in the car and open it.

Is it exactly the same as the S? I assumed so and thought the DS said so. Don’t want to chalk it up to an issue as I May be doing it wrong.

What’s the average configuration to VIN assignment timeframe for you Texas folk? I’m in Houston and configured on 2/22, non-owner. Trying to estimate my delivery timeframe for vacation planning.
I received my VIN four weeks (2/14) after configuring (1/17). Hopefully they have sped that part of since then.

Scheduled for deliver a week from tomorrow (3/15)!

Reactions: benjiejr and Cnasty
I was at the Dallas SC this morning. I counted nine Model 3s waiting for delivery. Here are the VINs:
Vin #7902
Vin #5092
Vin #5521
Vin #5766
Vin #4964
Vin #7091
Vin #6125
Vin #5514
Last Vin was blocked.

Condition of most seemed fine. No panel gaps or scratches that I could see! One had a roll of duct tape on the seat and several areas of the interior were duct taped on. None had any kind of exterior protection.

There were also a bunch of S and X there on the lot. Maybe 30 of them. Hard to tell how many were new vs. in for repair.
Thanks for letting us know! Do you remember what color the one was with duct tape?

Could be wrong, but I don't think the charger port door is supposed to open by pressing the charger button on the Model 3. You can press the charge port door with you finger/hand and it'll pop open.

Possible first issue or even user error.

Charge port door isn’t opening when parked and pressing the button on the charger. I have to manually reach in the car and open it.

Is it exactly the same as the S? I assumed so and thought the DS said so. Don’t want to chalk it up to an issue as I May be doing it wrong.

Could be wrong, but I don't think the charger port door is supposed to open by pressing the charger button on the Model 3. You can press the charge port door with you finger/hand and it'll pop open.

Page 108 of the manual says it should open with the button on the charge cable, make sure it is unlocked:

"With Model 3 unlocked (or an authenticated phone is within range) and in Park, press and release the button on the Tesla charge cable to open the charge port door. "

Well... As I said, I could be and may be wrong. Hopefully a current owner can confirm.

Page 108 of the manual says it should open with the button on the charge cable, make sure it is unlocked:

"With Model 3 unlocked (or an authenticated phone is within range) and in Park, press and release the button on the Tesla charge cable to open the charge port door. "

Yes, it is supposed to open when pressing the button on the charger. At least mine did. It’s kind of a distant memory now, but it’s still in there somewhere.
There was a thread in the main Model 3 forum where someone found the signal range of the activation shorter than they expected. @Cnasty , how close were you holding it when you pressed the button?

EDIT: Here's a chatty shill ;) demoing it (linked Youtube to FFWD to the important part). Notice that he puts it so close when he presses the button he slightly "ducks" the charger plug out of the way when the port opens. Pretty sure this guy heavily scripted that video, it's got that feel, so he's probably in that close because he needs to be.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Boourns
There was a thread in the main Model 3 forum where someone found the signal range of the activation shorter than they expected. @Cnasty , how close were you holding it when you pressed the button?

EDIT: Here's a chatty shill ;) demoing it (linked Youtube to FFWD to the important part). Notice that he puts it so close when he presses the button he slightly "ducks" the charger plug out of the way when the port opens. Pretty sure this guy heavily scripted that video, it's got that feel, so he's probably in that close because he needs to be.

Yea I think I watched that review like 3 times in anticipation of my car and STILL dont remember that part. I was right on it and it still didnt pop. I will try it again a couple more times but may need some follow up. I even touched it and it didnt open that way either. The car was unlocked too btw. Hmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: ℬête Noire