Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a notice last night that an update is available. The car being wrapped right now so I can't do anything. I'm not sure how it works with the 3, do updates install automatically if I do nothing or must I gesture somehow to accept the update before it will install?

It's the same as the S. Once you have the update you click on the main screen to either schedule the install or start ASAP. I sat in my car in my work parking garage while it updated yesterday because I am a hopeless dork. Lots of clicking and clanking noises and restarts.

Hey fellow Texas Model 3'ers. What are you guys rates for insurance? Farmers just came back to me with a quote of $2,700 / 6 months based on a 2014 Model S they found (since they couldn't find a Model 3 to base off of)... There's no way Model 3 rates should be that high.

Yes, I know it's based on a slew of factors and coverage, but we're talking full coverage, clean record ballparking here.
You know how, for some bizarre reason, people post unaltered pics of full Model 3 VINs on the internet? Yeah. Right now, unless it's got manufacturer's plates on it, those VINs should be near interchangeable for pricing (I think they know it's "used" though, as in previously sold and registered somewhere?). Picked one high enough last 4 digits that it definitely shipped in 2018, and good to go.

So I had my current policy underwriter check the price based on a sort-of-hypothetical VIN. Quote is about $400/year bump up from the 6-yo Camry Hybrid it'd replace, from roughly $880/year to $1280/year. (Not exact number I'll pay, because of small multiple policy discount, but I had her break out the number stand alone as well.)

My understanding is you definitely want to check around with Teslas, the pricing varies quite widely.

Last edited:
Been on these forums for a while now and just found the Texas section. Here's what i've got right now....

Line Waiter - Houston Galleria - 10:45AM
M3 LR - White - Aero
Invite: 3/22
Ordered: 3/22
VIN: none yet

On a side note, saw a M3 Midnight Silver in the Heights driving on 8th. Anyone here?

You know how, for some bizarre reason, people post unaltered pics of full Model 3 VINs on the internet? Yeah. Right now, unless it's got manufacturer's plates on it, those VINs should be near interchangeable for pricing (I think they know it's "used" though, as in previously sold and registered somewhere?). Picked one high enough last 4 digits that it definitely shipped in 2018, and good to go.

So I had my current policy underwriter check the price based on a sort-of-hypothetical VIN. Quote is about $400/year bump up from the 6-yo Camry Hybrid it'd replace, from roughly $880/year to $1280/year. (Not exact number I'll pay, because of small multiple policy discount, but I had her break out the number stand alone as well.)

My understanding is you definitely want to check around with Teslas, the pricing varies quite widely.

I took a quote from a competing insurance company and sent it back to my agent with the message of "This is something much more reasonable" so we will see how things transpire. Obviously, I have a ways to go until my own VIN is available to use. The worst timing is that my current insurance policy ends 4/28, and there is basically zero chance the Model 3 will arrive around that time frame (5 weeks post configuration) given historical Texas transactions.

C05EFE91-5BC6-4D18-96A6-F27870AC2AE9.jpeg
Cant wait to see it! I may be able to slip them on my wife's and deal with the wrath later. ;)

Your not the only white 19” model 3 in the area. Got mine today. :) No issues.
Going to break in the 19” for 500 Miles than slip on the glossy black wheels.

View attachment 290255

Your not the only white 19” model 3 in the area. Got mine today. :) No issues.
Going to break in the 19” for 500 Miles than slip on the glossy black wheels.

Surprised they put the front plate on yours as they had mine in the trunk and said "we assume most people dont want it on there so here it is if you do". Never thought that would be the scripting but it was fine.

I'll look for you around town!