Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, is it true?

There have been no reported non-employee delivery to the spreadsheet. Has any one here from Texas not an employee or family member received their invites?

Secondly, does any one here knows why?

CJ

I configured on the 1/12 and still don't have a VIN. I talked to my ISA last week and he said things are still looking good for 4 week delivery estimate. That's obviously not happening unless he calls me today and says it's ready for pickup this week. I know of one employee who got his in September/October and I've talked to one other person on Twitter whose brother in CA had hers shipped here. Other than that, it's crickets.

Co-worker configured 1/11, still has not had a VIN assigned. Has reached out to Tesla a couple of times, but like everyone else, is left pretty much in the dark. He plans on calling back today for another update, but I remain pessimistic for him.

His config: Mignight Silver, 18"

Lots of invites have gone out, and I know a few people in the Dallas area have actually ordered. @Cnasty, for instance. Not sure about actual deliveries, though.

I was able to configure nearly 3 weeks ago, so there should have been some deliveries by now if the 4-week wait is accurate.

As of 1/5/18, there were 13 Model 3s registered with TXDoT.

I talked to a rep while I was waiting to see the display Model 3 at the Southlake gallery and he claimed they had delivered 25-30 in Texas so far.
It takes about 2 months from signed papers to getting registered through the DMV.

When you sign the registration papers the papers/plates go from You > Addison processing center > Fremont > DMV > Fremont > You

Only ones I am aware of are employees. From what I've seen though, the next few weeks should definitely be seeing some non-employee deliveries is my prediction. I know there are quite a few who have ordered.

Lots of invites have gone out, and I know a few people in the Dallas area have actually ordered. @Cnasty, for instance. Not sure about actual deliveries, though.

I was able to configure nearly 3 weeks ago, so there should have been some deliveries by now if the 4-week wait is accurate.

Correct.

Configured 1/25
No VIN yet
Previous owner
Called Tesla-told still within the 4 week estimate and VIN "hopefully by end of this week"
Pearl White, 19 Aeros configuration

Maybe after all the hell the state has given Tesla this is their way of getting back at them. South Texas seems to be getting some action though, not DFW.

Received our invite 01/17 (kendallas) and configured the same day. No VIN assigned yet. Was told by an employee working the Southlake showroom that "a couple" Model 3s had been delivered to non-employees in the DFW area but not many. Texans getting impatient here as they are getting passed over by owners in other states.

Metallic silver/PUP/EAP/19" sport wheels

One thing I noticed in the Model 3 Invite spreadsheet is that states that disallow Tesla sales seem to be lagging in VIN assignments.
Here are some interesting data points (these states disallow direct sales and have NO VINs assigned in the spreadsheet)
  • Michigan: 3 configured, only delivery was to California (Marina del Rey)
  • Alabama: 1 configured/delivered, but it was delivered to Georgia
  • Texas: 16 configured, 0 VINs
  • Utah: 1 configured, 0 VINs
  • Wisconsin: 1 configured, 0 VINs
  • NM, CT, WV, NE have no cars configured
A few other states for comparison:
  • Georgia: 12 configured, 10 VINs
  • Pennsylvania: 7 configured, 5 VINs
  • Illinois: 8 configured, 6 VINs
I wonder if they are still working out the process for the "sold in California, delivered elsewhere" cars (should be the same as Model S/X but perhaps M3 sales are handled separately).

It's too bad we have to drive half way across the country to get to a Tesla-friendly state :-(