Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas - House Committee Gives Tesla Motors a Chance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I say sell 5000, then put out local state advertisements declaring they're sold out due to local laws with a link to their local representatives so texans can push for the limit to be removed if they want to be the 5,001st owner of the year.

For that matter, if approved with the addition, the tesla stores in texas should have huge posters declaring the cars as "LIMITED EDITION (BY LAW)". Get yours today before our quota runs out! Be one of the lucky 5000 owners in the entire state of Texas! (In marketing, limited numbers can cause higher demand, relatively)

It will be interesting to see how the dynamics of this thing play out. If they are approaching 5k at the end of the year, do they defer some buyers until '14? Will there be a run on sales after the 4k mark by buyers that don't want the hassle of going out of state to buy? Sometimes by putting a limit on things, it makes it more desirable.

I say sell 5000, then put out local state advertisements declaring they're sold out due to local laws with a link to their local representatives so texans can push for the limit to be removed if they want to be the 5,001st owner of the year.

For that matter, if approved with the addition, the tesla stores in texas should have huge posters declaring the cars as "LIMITED EDITION (BY LAW)". Get yours today before our quota runs out! Be one of the lucky 5000 owners in the entire state of Texas! (In marketing, limited numbers can cause higher demand, relatively)

That's exactly what I was getting ready to post. Have a Texas edition (like the Ford F150) and heavily advertise the fact that 'all Teslas are sold out for the year due to state law'.

- - - Updated - - -

When will Elon Musk be back again?
When will a next session going to take place?
Is that a matte of weeks/months/years?

If it doesn't pass House and Senate (also signed by governor into law) then it would have to wait for 2 years for the next legislative session. The Texas legislature only meets every 2 years.

Texas, a bit under 10% of population, so threshold crossed roughly when Tesla selling 50M cars in U.S. That would be something like 125M globally per year... a threshold that probably won't come until Gen3 greatly increases sales.

California unlike anywhere in U.S. re Tesla... that 3,000 mark was 50% of total deliveries at the time.

I think you meant K, not M. :)

At 5,000 vehicles, can they then revert to the current method of selling via California ? I just completed all my paperwork, and quite honestly it wasn't that hard. It took me 10 minutes to get a Texas title and register the car since Tesla had prepared all the paperwork for me. All I did was write the check for the taxes. However if the Texas stores can still talk prices and then refer to the California dealership for delivery after 5,000 units, they would have a strong case for increasing the limit or lifting it altogether.

Two issues at play here. Texas is Oil country.

It also has a high per capita income and is a bulls eye for the large luxury car market. Elon's estimate of 1,500 units a year are light for Texas.

I agree. Austin is a tech hotspot and I can imagine many young professionals being attracted to the MS. Not only that, but how many cars can be pre-cooled or pre-heated with a phone app? How many housewives would like to keep the dog cooled off while they are shopping?