Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Law Change: $200 Fine for No Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys for the Better Option how to mount the front plate.

Got my J-bolts from Lowes, mounted my front plate last night below the nose.
My Boss just had his CLS front plate mounted yesterday too.

Avoids the Silly Way to spend a morning in traffic court, and shelling out major mullah on an avoidable citation.
I'd rather spend the same money on art or a case of wine.

I have been doing just some casual counting in my local driving - somewhere between 20% and 30% seem to have no front tags.

Today at the Bellmead Supercharger on my quick stop, 100% with no front tag, and the local police officer cruised right by all three as they were charging.

IMG_3892.jpg

I have been doing just some casual counting in my local driving - somewhere between 20% and 30% seem to have no front tags.

Today at the Bellmead Supercharger on my quick stop, 100% with no front tag, and the local police officer cruised right by all three as they were charging.

View attachment 31765

Yep, I was there at Bellmead ribbon cutting ceremony also, had my license plate laying on my dash (which I have subsequently been informed does NOT qualify as being properly displayed for the front.)
Maybe the law enforcement agencies are trying to assess how to approach such a large number of violators, because the Law is on the Books and THEIR side.
I have heard law-enforcement personnel discussing it on NPR, and they may be "soft-selling" it for a while.
Perhaps there is a 30 or 45 or 90 day roll-out period.
Or maybe they just decide 'today' is their bad-hair day, and they just need to share the love.

My dim view is this:
Should, er, WHEN they start enforcing that New Law, I prefer not to have that as being the sole reason to be stopped and ticketed.
Seriously...
Being ticketed for no front plate IMHO is both avoidable and unnecessary.

Side Note:
I went to a Plug-In Event in Dallas yesterday, and of the 9 MS and two Roadsters, I believe three of the MS had front mounted plates, and I KNOW both Roadsters did.

I went to a Plug-In Event in Dallas yesterday, and of the 9 MS and two Roadsters, I believe three of the MS had front mounted plates, and I KNOW both Roadsters did.

Too bad mine is crooked :-( but I can't afford the $200 fine.

The Roadsters have a reasonable place for the front license plate, so there's no reason to not install one. I really don't see why Tesla couldn't make a nose cone that holds the front plate by design rather than by an econobox mounting plate. It wouldn't be the end of the world for them to make three styles: One for NA/NP license plates, one for EU license plates, and one for no license plates.

Too bad mine is crooked :-( but I can't afford the $200 fine.

The Roadsters have a reasonable place for the front license plate, so there's no reason to not install one. I really don't see why Tesla couldn't make a nose cone that holds the front plate by design rather than by an econobox mounting plate. It wouldn't be the end of the world for them to make three styles: One for NA/NP license plates, one for EU license plates, and one for no license plates.

great...I don't have one on the front of the roadster...I hate this law.

I was driving in Fort Worth near Sundance Square last weekend, and ended up going the wrong way down a one-way due to all the construction and I did not see a sign. When I realized my ooops, I attempted to quickly take the next turn.... but a police office saw me and immediately sped up, and put his lights and stopped right in front of me. So there I was stopped by a police car, facing the police car, all lit up with police lights... and no front plate. He motioned for me to pull forward and turn right, and then...... went on his way. :) Such a friendly city, Fort Worth is!

As for where I live in Dallas, almost all BMWs, Porches, Range Rovers, Audis, Mercedes don't have front license plates. I am not worried about it. As long as I drive safely, obey all laws, etc, I don't see why I am going to be pulled over. If I am driving recklessly, well then I should not expect to complain about being pulled over and cited for the front plate.

I was driving in Fort Worth near Sundance Square last weekend, and ended up going the wrong way down a one-way due to all the construction and I did not see a sign. When I realized my ooops, I attempted to quickly take the next turn.... but a police office saw me and immediately sped up, and put his lights and stopped right in front of me. So there I was stopped by a police car, facing the police car, all lit up with police lights... and no front plate. He motioned for me to pull forward and turn right, and then...... went on his way. :) Such a friendly city, Fort Worth is!

As for where I live in Dallas, almost all BMWs, Porches, Range Rovers, Audis, Mercedes don't have front license plates. I am not worried about it. As long as I drive safely, obey all laws, etc, I don't see why I am going to be pulled over. If I am driving recklessly, well then I should not expect to complain about being pulled over and cited for the front plate.

I have found FTW mighty friendly. Now PlanoPD, different story (gave a friend of mine a ticket for doing 5 miles over the speed limit during a Porsche test drive!).

Anyway let's say you go to a party have the legal limit, and it's late, but one decides to pull you over for no plate, and gives you full field test (again even if you're legal), kinda a pain if you ask me.

Last edited:
Hey - I think the middle car is mine! I also reject the front plate notion. Has been in my glove compartment since purchase and I have never been hassled.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 3 different types of license plate brackets. The one that came with the car that bolts somewhat underneath the front bumper so there are no holes actually drilled on the front. I also have the one that screws right into the tow hook, and I also got the hide away plate but haven't mounted it just yet. I'm trying to decide which one I'm going to use. I'm leaning towards the hide away plate~

By the way, the Republic of Texas has closed that loop too - and made it a much bigger offense than having no plate at all:

Sec. 504.947. LICENSE PLATE FLIPPER; OFFENSE. (a) In this section "license plate flipper" means a manual, electric, or mechanical device designed or adapted to be installed on a motor vehicle and:

(1) switch between two or more license plates for the purpose of allowing a motor vehicle operator to change the license plate displayed on the operator's vehicle; or

(2) hide a license plate from view by flipping the license plate so that the license plate number is not visible.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person with criminal negligence uses, purchases, possesses, manufactures, sells, offers to sell, or otherwise distributes a license plate flipper. An offense under this subsection is a Class C misdemeanor, except that the offense is a Class B misdemeanor if the person has previously been convicted of an offense under this subsection.