Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Law Change: $200 Fine for No Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main reason is to have a reflective surface for the speed gun. I wouldn't mind putting a Vinyl decal of my plate on the front if seeing the plate on the front was a real issue. If this was proven to be a safety issue, all states would have it. Especially if they could raise money with non-compliance.

Last edited:
There are at least two possible solutions in lieu of drilling into the nose cone (gasp!):

Brianman's cheap and quick, no-drill license plate
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8379-Front-license-plate-options/page17
drill a couple of holes in the plate mounting and zip-tie it into place

Other one is a bit more expensive, $45 to $50 manual, or $150 electric (Hide The Plate) (multiple versions and sources)
http://www.hidetheplate.com/articles.php?tPath=10&osCsid=ckm0gfmusp191029t79rvsuv22
(Resource Idea courtesy EVDFW with the Roadster)

BOTH solutions probably block a bit of air to the radiator below the nose cone.
SO, I will be drilling multiple holes in the front (where the numbers and letters are) to allow for some ventilation thru the plate itself (will not show-up, will not alter the look of the plate numbers and letters).

Temporary solution
IN THE MEANWHILE, I HAVE JUST LAID my FRONT LICENSE PLATE ON MY DASH (visible thru my front windshield).
<<<Probably need to have a piece of fabric below it...>>>

Well, far be it for an Alaskan to mess with Texas...law... but:

Does the statute read just as ZestyChicken is reporting?
As of Sept. 1, 2013, it is required that all registered vehicles, including commercial vehicles, must display both front and rear plates.

Cuz, if so.... I don't see why one hasn't the ability to display that front license plate whereverinheck it suits you to display it. Say, right next to, above, below, the rear plate. Or on the dash, as PWalt says. Or in the rear cupholders.....

*** snip ***

Temporary solution

IN THE MEANWHILE, I HAVE JUST LAID my FRONT LICENSE PLATE ON MY DASH (visible thru my front windshield).
<<<Probably need to have a piece of fabric below it...>>>

Be advised that I have been pulled over by the DPS on US287 between WF and Bowie for having my license plate on the dash behind the windshield. It was even propped up to lay flat along the inside of the glass. No other reason for being pulled over (not speeding or anything else).

I got a warning for "improper display of license plate" or something like that. I mounted it that evening, and the next day the same cop pulled along side, checked to see that it was on, and gave me a thumbs-up when he saw that it was.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8379-Front-license-plate-options/page17

I have been doing Brianman's technique for nine or ten months. Total cost: zero (parts lying about): Aesthetics: C+/B-: DRF (DPS Retribution Factor): nil.

Whereas I do not like the front plate at all, I got 99 things to worry about but the DPS ain't gonna be one of 'em

I have been doing Brianman's technique for nine or ten months. Total cost: zero (parts lying about): Aesthetics: C+/B-: DRF (DPS Retribution Factor): nil.

Whereas I do not like the front plate at all, I got 99 things to worry about but the DPS ain't gonna be one of 'em

Personally I think it's stupid to have one on the front, but don't have a choice. Once a cop sees no front plate it's their opening to pull you over--especially these smaller city cops that are just looking for a reason. I hate it, but who wants to get pulled over.

There are at least two possible solutions in lieu of drilling into the nose cone (gasp!):

I did that a few months before right after I got my car in September too but not as elegant.
Front License Plate Solutions - Page 10

- - - Updated - - -

Even though it isn't written everywhere (except on a piece of paper in a locked basement drawer) the plate must be on the front bumper.

This is one of those situations where we can whine about it and cry about it, fight it and resist it, and complain and comment ...

... bottom line, Captain Government now has a way to bilk you out of $200. It is up to you to defend deep.

The choice is yours (line in the sand, gauntlet thrown, and all other cliches we desire to utilize).

I just have mine in the car and accessable from the driver's seat. If needed, I throw it up on the dash. Otherwise it is within reach.

Dash doesn't count. They may let you get away with it but it must be on the front bumper (even though they don't bother to write that anywhere). That is how the police and DPS interpret the rule (I've called DPS before to ask).

Dash doesn't count. They may let you get away with it but it must be on the front bumper (even though they don't bother to write that anywhere). That is how the police and DPS interpret the rule (I've called DPS before to ask).

I am also operating under the clause that they cannot ask you to put a front bumper mount on based on the fact that mine was not installed at the factory. (and was never installed) Therefor not needed on the front bumper based on the fact that it would not be OEM mounted. (it is called a loophole)

I am also operating under the clause that they cannot ask you to put a front bumper mount on based on the fact that mine was not installed at the factory. (and was never installed) Therefor not needed on the front bumper based on the fact that it would not be OEM mounted. (it is called a loophole)

Even if that were true, if the mount is offered as OEM, and you refused it, that argument won't hold water.

Didn't know about that. You run the risk of the police writing it anyway and you have to take the day off of work to fight the ticket.

In a minor act of civil disobedience, I'm going to continue to go without until I get pulled over. Then I'll probably bite the bullet and drill the holes. (I'm not real comfortable blocking any of the vents without an engineer with actual data telling me it won't impact efficiency.) I just hate the way it looks and want to see if I can avoid it forever.

(Note: I recognize posting this all but guarantees that I will be pulled over for this on my way home from work.)

I tend to stick to the letter of the law.

License plates must have one valid plate at the front and one at the rear of passenger and commercial vehicles except dealer
plates and commercial vehicles that are only issued one license plate.

Texas Driver's handbook. P.18 Table 17

BTW Texas Code 504.943 states:
Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:
(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:
(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:
(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

Basically stick it down with $5 worth of moulding mount tape and go get it dismissed. Note: It doesn't say anywhere in the current Texas Penal Code where the plate shall be mounted.

In a minor act of civil disobedience, I'm going to continue to go without until I get pulled over. Then I'll probably bite the bullet and drill the holes. (I'm not real comfortable blocking any of the vents without an engineer with actual data telling me it won't impact efficiency.) I just hate the way it looks and want to see if I can avoid it forever.

(Note: I recognize posting this all but guarantees that I will be pulled over for this on my way home from work.)

Awesome! I love it.

That state Supreme Court case a few years back sided with police saying it must be on front bumper. If the police think it should be there then they can write a ticket based on that. If you are willing to fight it you might very well win but that means a day off of work.