Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas lemon law experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dodged that one, wanted to buy the same car but it was not out yet and ended up with a Ford Edge.
I had a Ford Focus repurchased by Ford under the Texas lemon law. Dual clutch transmission issue. No attorney involved, just followed the program rules, lot of time and paperwork, but was worth it.
They paid the original cost, including taxes and financing interest, less a reasonable usage amount.
Good luck...

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with Texas' Lemon Laws.

There are two issues that might somewhat complicate this one. (1) Depending on when you bought the car, Cabin Overheat Protection mode might not have been a feature at the time of purchase. As such, it might be argued it's an aftermarket addition/modification and therefore not something covered under the original sale warranty, which is the basis for a Lemon Law action. This is not to say that you couldn't file suit over the matter, but it might not be something that Lemon Laws would cover. But since the "modification" is coming from Tesla themselves and not a third party, this may not actually affect the issue. Makes me curious to see what, if any, language Tesla has put out regarding how their software/firmware updates might affect what is warrantied. (2) The underlying issue may not actually be with the car, but with the mobile app or something in the interaction between the app and car. I don't know how one would go about establishing that it was actually the car not working properly, but that might be needed. As Tesla is the responsible party for both, the responsibility is still with them to fix it, but again it may not be something that is covered under the Lemon Laws.

Cabin overheat protection came out June 22, I ordered June 26. The biggest reason for purchasing the car was safety features such a this. Next step is giving Tesla a second chance to see if they are willing to investigate the car next spring. After that probably drive over and hope to speak with service manager in person. Texas has non court process for lemon law cases and hope this does not even go that far.

I concur that reaching a human at Tesla has become a ROYAL PITA.

Suggestion: consider drafting a polite, but firm, old-fashioned letter and just mailing it to Tesla HQ, requesting your car's issues be addressed. It's not that big an "ask" for heaven's sake!

If others have working systems, there's no reason your car can't as well. I find it odd that your local Service Center hasn't been able to replicate and correct this issue, especially as they could have just parked the car outside for a few hours and watched it in real time to see what it was, and wasn't, doing.

Please keep us posted.