Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Newbie with some questions on MS / ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Have been a lurker for long and now I’m ready to pull a trigger on Tesla.

Current ride is a MDX which I’m planning to trade it off for a Tesla.

The dilemma that I’ve:
I want a Pre Owned Model S with a D configuration that has auto pilot 2 as a minimum criteria. I love the S mainly for the size of the car and the storage space it offers compared to a Model 3.

I went to a Tesla showroom few days back in DFW, sales person told me that getting a brand new LR-AWD model 3 is much better in comparison to getting a Model S-75D coz the battery of the new Model 3 is in par with a S-75D or better than it.
Is there any truth in what the sales person said in terms of battery?

Auto Pilot question:
Apologies for bringing this up again.
Is there a site or a reference document that shows the comparison between various AP version?

Supercharger question:
I hear that Tesla gives supercharging for free. If I buy a pre owned how do i determine, as a 2nd owner that I’ll be entitled for a free supercharging?

TIA

So the LR Model 3 does have a 75kWh battery, however the Model 3 has a much longer range because it's a smaller, lighter, more efficient car.

I'll let someone else answer the AP question.

As for free supercharging, it depends how you get the car. Tesla very recently changed the policy free unlimited supercharging on used vehicles. If you buy a used MS through them, they take away the free supercharging. If you buy one through a private sale, you get to keep it, as long as the car was built prior to 2017. How important is this to you? Do you travel often? Can you set up charging at home? Using a supercharger as your primary means to charge is very inconvenient.

So the LR Model 3 does have a 75kWh battery, however the Model 3 has a much longer range because it's a smaller, lighter, more efficient car.

I'll let someone else answer the AP question.

As for free supercharging, it depends how you get the car. Tesla very recently changed the policy free unlimited supercharging on used vehicles. If you buy a used MS through them, they take away the free supercharging. If you buy one through a private sale, you get to keep it, as long as the car was built prior to 2017. How important is this to you? Do you travel often? Can you set up charging at home? Using a supercharger as your primary means to charge is very inconvenient.

Thanks for the reply.
Supercharger isn’t on my priority list. AP os really important and I’m struggling to understand the difference between auto pilot with enhanced features and enhanced auto pilot.
This will be my daily driver so I’ll do a road trip may be 2-4 times a year where I’d like to use the supercharger.

Model 3 is more efficient and allows faster Supercharging. But the salesperson was just trying to get a sale.

It seems that Tesla removed free, unlimited Supercharging (FUSC) from their used car sales a couple of weeks ago. You'd have to do a private purchase to get it.

By all means get the bigger car if that is what you want. The 3 is better in some ways but it is smaller. Driving electric sooner rather than later has its own value but Model Y will have much more roomy storage space than the 3, although it will still be more narrow than an S.
Supercharging when just used for road trips is not enough to worry about.