Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas owners: Free nights or Net metering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love this thread and have been watching it for a while...
I just wanted to offer my experience and Electricity Facts Label for Just Energy which is active in the Oncor Service Area. I identified this plan as being most favorable for me using the MySmartMeterTexas data over the last 12 months.
I hope that y'all keep sharing and keeping the community informed!

Provider: Just Energy
Service Area: Oncor
Plan: 100% Green Nights Free Plan - 24
Monthly Base Charge: $4.95
Energy Charge: 21.5 cents / kWh (includes supply and TDSP delivery charges)
Free Nights Period: 9pm - 7am
Contract Term: 24 Months

My Property & Usage:
Solar
Powerwall
2x EVs
Electric Heating & Utilities (No Gas)

Attachments

• TX Electricity Facts Label - Oncor Service Area - Just Energy - 202203.png
    TX Electricity Facts Label - Oncor Service Area - Just Energy - 202203.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Electroman
We are also using Just Energy and signed the contract for 3 yrs. With one EV (can't wait for our Rivian and RRS PHEV to come), in Oct, we used 1500kWh and the bill is $-17. In Nov, we used 1300kWh and the bill is about $-8. It could be better if the Tesla PWs algorithm works with the time based 100%. :rolleyes:

Awesome, thanks for this. I also think I just found Acacia Energy as an option, but it is hard to tell how they handle TDU charges.

Acacia passes along the TDU energy charges at night unfortunately.

But… breaking news, TXU just reinstated their free nights plan for TNMP and it refunds the whole shooting match during the “free” period. Nice to see some options coming back to TNMP.

Acacia passes along the TDU energy charges at night unfortunately.

But… breaking news, TXU just reinstated their free nights plan for TNMP and it refunds the whole shooting match during the “free” period. Nice to see some options coming back to TNMP.

Back from the dead baby! TNMP free night options look the be back on the table with Amigo, Reliant, TXU, and Direct Energy all offering again. Finally.

Reactions: Rocket_man
Back from the dead baby! TNMP free night options look the be back on the table with Amigo, Reliant, TXU, and Direct Energy all offering again. Finally.

The Direct Energy plan gives free electricity from 9 pm to 9 am. I glanced through the Terms and Conditions, and I didn't see anything about excluding Solar customers. Thier longest plan is for 24 months. If they never see much billing from me would they not renew the plan? Or just outright cancel me from the plan? The Solar plan I'm on with Shell Energy is not the greatest. In months when I use my banked kWhrs they charge me a delivery fee. So even though I am a net producer of power over a year, I still get a bill between $16 and $50/mo.

The Direct Energy plan gives free electricity from 9 pm to 9 am. I glanced through the Terms and Conditions, and I didn't see anything about excluding Solar customers. Thier longest plan is for 24 months. If they never see much billing from me would they not renew the plan? Or just outright cancel me from the plan? The Solar plan I'm on with Shell Energy is not the greatest. In months when I use my banked kWhrs they charge me a delivery fee. So even though I am a net producer of power over a year, I still get a bill between $16 and $50/mo.

I'm going to find out the answer to these questions because I signed up with this very plan. The Amazon prime membership is a nice perk as well.

Reactions: Rocket_man
I got a mailing from Direct Energy on this new Free Nights plan. There is some fine print on the backside.

- Provisioned Smart Meter required. Of course, but in my area they removed the old smart meters over a year ago due to the 3G obsolesces. I had to pay nearly $300 for my current meter to support my solar exporting. I hope this would not require a different meter. If I needed a different meter that would not export that might be an issue. Especially if I wanted to switch back to an Exporting solar plan. While I'm on that topic, I assume I can't export on this plan. Or if my gateway did export, I would not get any credit for it.
- The base charge is $9.95/mo plus other fees and taxes. Whatever those other fees are. Fees from TNMP I assume.
- The Amazon Prime membership is only available for the Twelve Hour Power on Us, Free Power Weekends on Us, and Live Brighter. The Free Nights is technically called 'Twelve Hour Power on Us.' If you already have Prime you get a 24 months of $15 Amazon gift cards deposited in your account. New Prime members get a link to activate a membership as long as you are on a plan. These go away when the plan ends.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
I got a mailing from Direct Energy on this new Free Nights plan. There is some fine print on the backside.

- Provisioned Smart Meter required. Of course, but in my area they removed the old smart meters over a year ago due to the 3G obsolesces. I had to pay nearly $300 for my current meter to support my solar exporting. I hope this would not require a different meter. If I needed a different meter that would not export that might be an issue. Especially if I wanted to switch back to an Exporting solar plan. While I'm on that topic, I assume I can't export on this plan. Or if my gateway did export, I would not get any credit for it.
- The base charge is $9.95/mo plus other fees and taxes. Whatever those other fees are. Fees from TNMP I assume.
- The Amazon Prime membership is only available for the Twelve Hour Power on Us, Free Power Weekends on Us, and Live Brighter. The Free Nights is technically called 'Twelve Hour Power on Us.' If you already have Prime you get a 24 months of $15 Amazon gift cards deposited in your account. New Prime members get a link to activate a membership as long as you are on a plan. These go away when the plan ends.

By way of background, I signed with this plan two weeks ago. TNMPs standard export capable meter is also a smart meter so you should be good to go in terms of your point #1. Direct Energy doesn't do any sort of buy back with this plan unfortunately, but you can still export for free. And I think you're right in that the $9.95 is mostly (all?) TNMP. It used to be $4 something but it went up in 2022 according to their most recent tariff. I see at least $8.40 in monthly surcharges that TNMP passes on plus some other undefined items.