Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Plates & Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone in Houston that took delivery in the late June-early July time frame get their plates? I'm just curious to see if the tax office is just backlogged severely or what. I e-mailed them last week and have not heard back. I'll probably try calling soon but my work schedule isn't allowing that right now. I know my plates are ready (ordered personalized plates) so I waiting on the registration to be completed.

Hi,
Kinda new here so pardon me if these questions were already asked earlier. I am waiting to take delivery of my MY and I do plan to finance my car through one of the credit unions here in Austin. In this case of taking loan/financing, can someone help answer below questions?

1. Is the cost of registration/taxes covered as part of loan (or) is that something buyer (myself in this case) need to pay out of pocket?
2. How does registration process work? Will bank handle registration process with Tax assessor office? I called up one of the CU here and they mention they wouldnt let buyer handle the registration process and that would be something they will have to handle.

Can other share some of their experiences?

What Sparky said - for my M3 last year, the taxes were in the grand total on the MVPA but were still paid outside the loan. But we paid them to Tesla and they did all the registration paperwork - they sent us a Fedex package to sign and Fedex to our county and a few weeks later we got our plates.

For our Y it was a much more manual process. The taxes were not even calculated in our MVPA or anywhere in the Tesla paperwork. It was literally the price you see on the web site plus delivery fees. Then I got the Fedex package with the certificate of origin and other forms to take to the county together with a big fat check for Texas taxes. Got plates and registration card right on the spot.

Has anyone in Houston that took delivery in the late June-early July time frame get their plates? I'm just curious to see if the tax office is just backlogged severely or what. I e-mailed them last week and have not heard back. I'll probably try calling soon but my work schedule isn't allowing that right now. I know my plates are ready (ordered personalized plates) so I waiting on the registration to be completed.

I did but as you know they gave them to me in person which was unexpected.

Later the day on Thursday I did get an email from the tax office asking for my VIN and contact info. This was from the folks dealing with my personalized plates. I don’t think the two departments communicate well. I hope to hear something next week.

Update: I received my plates today by mail. I sent in my paperwork on July 18th and also ordered personalized plates at that same time. So a little over 5 weeks to get my plates.
I just got the registration package. It seems there are a few places the buyer has to sign before dropping it off at the tax office.

Is that correct?

I got my registration package today (FedEx 2-Day) 3 weeks from delivery date. Went down to the Williamson County tax office signed a couple of docs where the tax office clerk showed me, paid the tax and license fees and was out of there with my tags in less than 20 minutes A very seamless process.

Reactions: empiredown
I got my registration package today (FedEx 2-Day) 3 weeks from delivery date. Went down to the Williamson County tax office signed a couple of docs where the tax office clerk showed me, paid the tax and license fees and was out of there with my tags in less than 20 minutes A very seamless process.
Same experience in Fort Bend. No lines in the Annex by I-99. 20 min deal.
I completely understand Tesla approach. I waited 90 days for my Model X in 2018. Now I got the plates in less than 3 weeks.

anybody did this for Travis County? I can't tell which appointment category this falls under, since there isn't one for new registration (there is one for registration renewal, and one for title).
Title - It was different in Williamson County - I just walked in and signed in on a kiosk terminal assigning a number based on my selection - I believe I selected "title" since that is really what you getting processed along with registration. I imagine any clerk can do the work for you so I'd select the earliest appointment time and claim ignorance if you get the wrong clerk. Good luck - it was a 20 minute process in Wilco - Tesla did a great job in completing the docs.

Reactions: Mooroo
Hi,
Kinda new here so pardon me if these questions were already asked earlier. I am waiting to take delivery of my MY and I do plan to finance my car through one of the credit unions here in Austin. In this case of taking loan/financing, can someone help answer below questions?

1. Is the cost of registration/taxes covered as part of loan (or) is that something buyer (myself in this case) need to pay out of pocket?
2. How does registration process work? Will bank handle registration process with Tax assessor office? I called up one of the CU here and they mention they wouldnt let buyer handle the registration process and that would be something they will have to handle.

Can other share some of their experiences?

I went through UFCU for the purchase of my MY, and they actually offered to increase my loan to cover cost of taxes and fees. Now, that could be because the total loan to value was still under 90% because I actually sold me other car first and used that money to make a partial cash payment to Tesla (rest of payment came from UFCU financing), or it could be because my credit rating is something like 838, I'm not really sure. But they put the extra money in my UFCU account so I could take it out as a cashier's check and send it to Travis County.

The reason I'm here though is because I have the same question as your second one: I got my temp (paper) plates, inspection report, and the FedEx'd paperwork, but what do I do now? Do I need to make an appointment to go into the Travis County Tax Assessor office, or can I just scan and email them the docs and send a check, or even just mail the docs and check together? If one of the latter, is there a way to calculate how much to make the check for, or do I have to call or email someone?

Thank y'all in advance for any assistance!

I went through UFCU for the purchase of my MY, and they actually offered to increase my loan to cover cost of taxes and fees. Now, that could be because the total loan to value was still under 90% because I actually sold me other car first and used that money to make a partial cash payment to Tesla (rest of payment came from UFCU financing), or it could be because my credit rating is something like 838, I'm not really sure. But they put the extra money in my UFCU account so I could take it out as a cashier's check and send it to Travis County.

The reason I'm here though is because I have the same question as your second one: I got my temp (paper) plates, inspection report, and the FedEx'd paperwork, but what do I do now? Do I need to make an appointment to go into the Travis County Tax Assessor office, or can I just scan and email them the docs and send a check, or even just mail the docs and check together? If one of the latter, is there a way to calculate how much to make the check for, or do I have to call or email someone?

Thank y'all in advance for any assistance!

Have you figured out your registration? I took delivery of my MY on 9/26 in Austin, TX. I am waiting for registration packet from Texas in few days (I assume). Did you make an appointment w/ Travis tax assessor office to register and pay tax? Thank you!

Have you figured out your registration? I took delivery of my MY on 9/26 in Austin, TX. I am waiting for registration packet from Texas in few days (I assume). Did you make an appointment w/ Travis tax assessor office to register and pay tax? Thank you!
I got my registration package from Tesla (via FedEx) 3 weeks and a day after I took delivery (8/4). Williamson County Tax Assessor was open - walked in, no lines, paid my fees, got my tags and was out in 20 minutes total. Not sure what Travis County is doing re offices being open.

For travis county, I did get an appointment online. The day of my appointment, I was in and out within 20 minutes. It seems quite seamless process.

Hi BjornN

How do you register your Tesla here in Fortbend? Did you only go to the Tax Assessor and submit the Packet from Tesla?
Yes, that’s what I did. Everything needed was on the package from Tesla. Bring the package, insurance, safety inspection and DL to the Annex at I-99. I forgot to sign a few places, they helped me at the desk, so I’m glad I went I person rather than mail it in (which is an option). After payment of the sales tax and some other minor fees, you get the plates in hand.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s what I did. Everything needed was on the package from Tesla. Bring the package, insurance, safety inspection and DL to the Annex at I-99. I forgot to sign a few places, they helped me at the desk, so I’m glad I went I person rather than mail it in (which is an option). After payment of the sales tax and some other minor fees, you get the plates in hand.

Where can I get the Safety Inspection? is this separate from the Package Tesla sent?
Tesla Package
-MVPA
-Certificate of Origin
- Form 130-U
- Odometer Disclosure