Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas refuses to renew registration of Tesla M3 without emissions test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my State inspection (Pass) at the Tesla Pond Springs service center yesterday. Subsequently, I tried to renew my registration online with the state. Multiple attempts resulted in a refusal, advising me that my vehicle did not qualify.
I contacted the Texas DMV and was advised that the Texas Environmental Quality had placed a hold on the registration because I needed an emission test.
I obviously pointed out that my vehicle was an electric vehicle. They said I would have to contact that agency and ask them to remove the block.
Upon calling that division, I was notified by a recorded message that everyone was working from home and I should send an email for assistance, but expect a delay.
Anyone else run into this?

NC also requires the test (in addition to an additional fee for EV's given we don't pay taxes on gasoline). The test is labeled an inspection that also includes safety and components testing (lights, horns, aftermarket mods, etc).

Is the TX test emission only?

dont mess w/tx
I have my own SMH story about the CA DMV. When my older daughter went to get her driving test (this is about 17 years ago) we had a few extra minutes before her appointment to drive around the DMV office in order for her to get familiar with the area. Something her private school driving instructor suggested we do. For the locals, this was in the town of Los Gatos.

When we parked in the DMV lot a lady (test examiner, as it turned out) came over to tell us that my daughter could not take her test because "I saw you out on the course earlier" and that it was "illegal" for her to be out there before her driving test. We had driven down the main stretch of town (N. Santa Cruz Ave.) and a couple of blocks west and east. I asked the examiner to show me the CA law or DMV regulation that covered this rule but she refused. I talked to her supervisor and was told it wasn't illegal (I kinda knew that already) and that I'd have to wait for another examiner. No explanation why the first examiner told us that, nor any apparent discipline / correction directed toward her. Over an hour later my daughter went out with another examiner and passed her test.

Ironically, I need to renew the registration on the DeLorean which is emissions-exempt lol
Is there a cocaine test involved? :) :p

I noticed when I bought mine from the dealership that I was charged for Emissions. Looking forward to the debacle at renewal.
We don't have emissions testing down here in southern Utah, but from what I've seen so far, Utah has it figured out. You will find that your registration renewal is more expensive on your Tesla than your ICE vehicles, because we don't pay any state tax on gasoline. So they get their nickel from you out of registration fees, instead. And it looks like their system has Tesla's flagged for not needing emissions testing, as well as paying higher registration fees.

It took a day for my safety inspection to make it to the DNV online renewal system once.

is everything correct on the safety inspection form? VIN, etc?

The place that did the safety indirection should be able to see if it’s expects emissions too.

We don't have emissions testing down here in southern Utah, but from what I've seen so far, Utah has it figured out. You will find that your registration renewal is more expensive on your Tesla than your ICE vehicles, because we don't pay any state tax on gasoline. So they get their nickel from you out of registration fees, instead. And it looks like their system has Tesla's flagged for not needing emissions testing, as well as paying higher registration fees.
Ohio passed a registration fee too; $100 for hybrids, and $200 for EVs and PHEVs. Annually, in addition to the normal fees. Telsa collected it with all the other taxes and fees.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: aTri and JeffnReno
Haha. So glad the new Tesla factory is in Texas. Stick it to 'em.
Kinda off topic, but...

Yup, totally agree. Here the car dealers got together and lobbied the Texas state government to prevent Tesla from selling cars direct to consumer, and Tesla opens a huge factory right in their front yard. Wonder if it'll be considered a legal car dealership? :D

Got to love Texas, oh well.
In Germany they have to perform an emission test as well.
For an ICE car the hook up the tail pipe to a rather exact measurement
device. For an EV they check there is no tail pipe, $100 bucks.
The car title says this rather clearly, better safe than sorry. They did
find my wipers were defect, they were replaced 2 week before inspection.
Gota love Germany, LOL Texas.

I just spoke to a representative of the vehicle emissions division of the Texas Environmental Commission.
His explanation was that the Texas DMV reported that my vehicle (and other Tesla's) is a gasoline vehicle. Their system accepts non compliance for two testing cycles so they didn't block my registration last year but did this year.
He said they are working to catch other Tesla vehicles that have been miss-coded.
Before his call I contacted the County DMV and they advised that they would issue the registration at the tax assessors office (in spite of the block).
So, I drove to the nearest office and got my registration renewed.