Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas refuses to renew registration of Tesla M3 without emissions test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Texas has emissions tests? That’s one thing I like about living in AL and FL, no emissions test, or any other inspections, whatsoever. In China I have to do an emissions/safety inspection annually and it’s a huge pain, takes all day and usually requires a bribe, although I imagine it’s probably easier in the US.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
Was it these people?
10.jpg

LOL if OH required emissions testing we would have a revolution,
sooo many 10mpg utility trucks hauling the obese to non-farming jobs.

I just spoke to a representative of the vehicle emissions division of the Texas Environmental Commission.
His explanation was that the Texas DMV reported that my vehicle (and other Tesla's) is a gasoline vehicle. Their system accepts non compliance for two testing cycles so they didn't block my registration last year but did this year.
He said they are working to catch other Tesla vehicles that have been miss-coded.
Before his call I contacted the County DMV and they advised that they would issue the registration at the tax assessors office (in spite of the block).
So, I drove to the nearest office and got my registration renewed.
The vehicle make is coded into the VIN. I’m not the greatest computer whiz on the planet, but even I could write a database query that would reflag all vehicles with a Tesla VIN to no gas engine in short order. The “we are working on it” is a great example of government at its finest.

The vehicle make is coded into the VIN. I’m not the greatest computer whiz on the planet, but even I could write a database query that would reflag all vehicles with a Tesla VIN to no gas engine in short order. The “we are working on it” is a great example of government at its finest.

Yeah that should be no problem at all. It might be a little harder to distinguish other EVs from makes that have both, like the Chevy Bolt, but for Tesla they could just do a simple UPDATE that marked all Tesla VINs as "no gas" and be done with it.

Wow, I don’t say this often, but it’s great to live in NJ!

- no sales tax on EVs
- $5000 rebate on new purchase & leases
- no inspections needed (so no ugly windshield sticker either!)
- great solar program
- low registration costs ($71.50 annually)
- HOV lane access indefinitely

Of course, our property taxes make up for all of it. LOL

Texas has emissions tests? That’s one thing I like about living in AL and FL, no emissions test, or any other inspections, whatsoever. In China I have to do an emissions/safety inspection annually and it’s a huge pain, takes all day and usually requires a bribe, although I imagine it’s probably easier in the US.

it depends on the county in which the car is registered. The high population counties require the emissions test. Smaller ones do not.

at least when I looked at it a while ago...

• Informative
Reactions: Zorak03
Wow, I don’t say this often, but it’s great to live in NJ!

- no sales tax on EVs
- $5000 rebate on new purchase & leases
- no inspections needed (so no ugly windshield sticker either!)
- great solar program
- low registration costs ($71.50 annually)
- HOV lane access indefinitely

Wow !!! Lots of revenue producing opportunities there !!

Hard to raise the fees, but much easier to create them at what level the dart board gives ya.

I renewed mine last month in South Texas. Had to get an “inspection”. But didn’t have the issues you are having. (We don’t have emissions testing down here though). I’m under the impression that’s a big city problem.
Glad you got it sorted.

Yeah that should be no problem at all. It might be a little harder to distinguish other EVs from makes that have both, like the Chevy Bolt, but for Tesla they could just do a simple UPDATE that marked all Tesla VINs as "no gas" and be done with it.
Yup, I'd totally buy their "we're working on it" statement, if Tesla actually made a gas powered car.