Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas refuses to renew registration of Tesla M3 without emissions test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh absolutely - have to enjoy it while we’ve got it.

We’re just a tool right now while they thump the “we’re green!” chest. Once we’re worth more than marketing, they’ll come for our dollars for sure!
There *IS* a serious question about how we pay for highway maintenance. Today it's through gas taxes. And that makes sense. The more you drive the more you pay. And except for lawn-mowers and mobile generators, gasoline consumption translates directly into road use.

But imagine a world with a fully-electric auto fleet (I know not coming for a very long time... but use your imagination.) Taxing electricity won't cut it, people use electricity for a LOT of other things. How should we as a society equitably apportion the cost for road maintenance to EV drivers? In California, they add a couple hundred bucks to EV registrations. But it's the same fee for all EV's. What if you don't drive much... or you drive a lot, is a flat fee still the right answer? Would you trust Elon to report your miles driven to the DMV and then pay on a per-mile basis? Looking for ideas here, since as EV drivers we are the ones who will be most impacted.

I just received my State inspection (Pass) at the Tesla Pond Springs service center yesterday. Subsequently, I tried to renew my registration online with the state. Multiple attempts resulted in a refusal, advising me that my vehicle did not qualify.
I contacted the Texas DMV and was advised that the Texas Environmental Quality had placed a hold on the registration because I needed an emission test.
I obviously pointed out that my vehicle was an electric vehicle. They said I would have to contact that agency and ask them to remove the block.
Upon calling that division, I was notified by a recorded message that everyone was working from home and I should send an email for assistance, but expect a delay.
Anyone else run into this?
I'm actually in Austin area too but had my inspection done by a gas station close to work. I don't remember having a problem. I was surprised it had to be inspected after only one year though. I thought a new car was good for 2 yrs without an inspection.

If you want to pass the emission test for M3, make sure to change the engine oil before going for test.

I thought Tesla said the oil is good for the life of the vehicle? Here is the filter on the rear drive unit.

IMG_20200630_183233__01.jpg

I just received my State inspection (Pass) at the Tesla Pond Springs service center yesterday. Subsequently, I tried to renew my registration online with the state. Multiple attempts resulted in a refusal, advising me that my vehicle did not qualify.
I contacted the Texas DMV and was advised that the Texas Environmental Quality had placed a hold on the registration because I needed an emission test.
I obviously pointed out that my vehicle was an electric vehicle. They said I would have to contact that agency and ask them to remove the block.
Upon calling that division, I was notified by a recorded message that everyone was working from home and I should send an email for assistance, but expect a delay.
I have not experienced this, but I'm happy to know that online registration is an option in TX.

I live in NJ and am not aware of HOV lane access in either NJ or NY. Can you provide some info?

Roadside Asstistance New Jersey Turnpike

All-electric vehicles are covered under the "vehicles with hybrid engines" exemption. You can see where it says "Alt Fuel" on the sign in this page's main photo ...

It's a very very minor benefit, since it's only lanes on the NJTPK between Exits 11 & 14, and only from 6-9am. But it's a benefit ...

EDIT: Yes, the link title really IS spelled wrong on the NJ Turnpike's website... that wasn't me. Here's the HTML code:
Code:
  <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/media/1373/logo.png">
                <title>Roadside Asstistance New Jersey Turnpike</title>

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
There *IS* a serious question about how we pay for highway maintenance. Today it's through gas taxes. And that makes sense. The more you drive the more you pay. And except for lawn-mowers and mobile generators, gasoline consumption translates directly into road use.

...impacted.[/QUOTEI

Dear Joe,

Thank you for injecting a note of realistic sanity!

Gasoline taxes pay for road maintenance in a lot of states. How we do that migrating to electrics is a major problem.

Right now I'm entirely fine with the extra fee tacked on -- it's not like some magic pixie keeps up the roads! Down the line I think it'll have to be a mileage fee, but it'll take some work getting people to accept that the "gummint" knows how much they're driving. Paranoia runs deep.

('Course Tesla knows how much and exactly where and when. But we can trust good ol' Elon.)

('Cept when he tells us when we will have real self -driving Teslas...)

(... or we'll be on Mars...)

(... or medicine...)

pax / Ctein

Reactions: OCJoe
Go here and type in your VIN and you'll be able to see if the tax office has a record of the inspection:
My TX Car Security Check

Also, not sure if it maters but registration renewal is handled by the county tax office , not sure if that's the same as DMV.

Ohio passed a registration fee too; $100 for hybrids, and $200 for EVs and PHEVs. Annually, in addition to the normal fees. Telsa collected it with all the other taxes and fees.
I am also in Ohio... I do not mind a fee for the Roads, but I will need to drive my Model Y 19,000 miles per year to equal the $200 tax they impose compared to what a typical ICE car will pay. I suggestion to the state is to have one fee for those like me who drive less than 10,000 miles per year. (I am retire and travel by air when not under our current situation) and one fee for those who use their cars for business and drive a zillion miles per year. Thos that drive 60,000 miles per year on business are paying a third of what they would in an ICE car and I pay twice in taxes as what I would with an ICE car. It is really not a money issue, anyone who can afford a Tesla can afford the Taxes, but it really rubs me the wrong way as far as principals go...

Same here OP. My Model 3 passed Inspection at Austin Pond Springs Rd. 9/02/2020. But was unable to renew online like I usually do after passing , as a Hold had been put on my Registration because of the Emissions issue as you said. I have an appt. Thurs. to try to get this resolved at the DMV.