Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Registration for Tesla - Fuel Type = GAS ????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

reddy

Jan 26, 2013
Amarillo, TX
<Tilting_at_Windmills>

Perhaps I'm being picky, but my renewal for the registration for my Model S lists the Fuel Type as GAS.

I'm returning it for payment , with a note on the registration renewal notice that this is incorrect, and they need to fix it.

Just seems a bit odd that a state as big as Texas doesn't even have a way to count how many electric vehicles they have, and a bit insulting that they lump us in with internal combustion engines.

</Tilting_at_Windmills>

Sometimes big changes come from small actions. They should change it because it's a legal doc and it's incorrect.

at least Tesla won't be sending you coupons for discount oil changes like Nissan dealerships do to LEAF owners :rolleyes:

When Texas starts charging EVs a road use tax I won't mind being listed as a GAS vehicle one bit!

At one of the NCTCOG meetings this was brought up. It was in general consensus that a road use tax would not be a good thing. In fact if a tax just targeted EVs, the state could be sued for discrimination. So, a more favorable way was to apply the same tax over all vehicles.

Sometimes big changes come from small actions. They should change it because it's a legal doc and it's incorrect.

at least Tesla won't be sending you coupons for discount oil changes like Nissan dealerships do to LEAF owners :rolleyes:

I thought they offered free oil changes... as in free of any oil. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

At one of the NCTCOG meetings this was brought up. It was in general consensus that a road use tax would not be a good thing. In fact if a tax just targeted EVs, the state could be sued for discrimination. So, a more favorable way was to apply the same tax over all vehicles.

Nobody seems to consider offering to pay TO the road fund, a part of my electricity bill taxes, since that is what is powering the car...

This is an old thread, but it does give an opportunity for an update. Effective September 1, 2016, TXDOT will have to report on all vehicles capable of being powered by a fuel other than gasoline or Diesel. One of the few EV bills that made it out of this year's legislative session.

Code:
[TABLE="width: 680"][TR][TD="colspan: 3"] [/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]H.B. No. 735[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][TABLE="width: 680"][TR][TD="colspan: 3"] [/TD][/TR][TR][TD="colspan: 3"] [/TD][/TR][TR][TD="colspan: 3"] [/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]AN ACT[/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]relating to the collection of information regarding the number of [/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]alternatively fueled vehicles registered in this state.[/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]       BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:[/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]       SECTION 1.  Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation Code, [/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]is amended by adding Section 502.004 to read as follows:[/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]       [U]Sec.[/U][U]502.004.[/U][U]INFORMATION ON ALTERNATIVELY FUELED [/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"][U]VEHICLES. (a) In this section, "alternatively fueled vehicle" [/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"][U]means a motor vehicle that is capable of using a fuel other than [/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"][U]gasoline or diesel fuel.[/U] [/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]       [U](b)[/U][U]The department by rule shall establish a program to [/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"][U]collect information about the number of alternatively fueled [/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"][U]vehicles registered in this state.[/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]       [U](c)[/U][U]The department shall submit an annual report to the [/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"][U]legislature that includes the information collected under this [/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"][U]section. The report must, at a minimum, show the number of vehicles [/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"][U]registered in this state that use:[/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]             [U](1)  electric plug-in drives;[/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]             [U](2)  hybrid electric drives;[/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]             [U](3)  compressed natural gas drives; and[/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]             [U](4)  liquefied natural gas drives.[/U][/TD][/TR][TR][TD="width: 65"] [/TD][TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]       SECTION 2.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2016.
[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]