Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how do you file for it then? Thanks.

If you have purchased a qualifying vehicle after September 1, 2013 or a later date, as determined by the Commission, the Dealer will make the paperwork available to you and will take care of the record keeping.

The thing I was hopeful Tesla would do, when I brought this to their attention in early July, was to work with the state to ensure that cars not purchased through a Dealer would be eligible.

If you have purchased a qualifying vehicle after September 1, 2013 or a later date, as determined by the Commission, the Dealer will make the paperwork available to you and will take care of the record keeping.

The thing I was hopeful Tesla would do, when I brought this to their attention in early July, was to work with the state to ensure that cars not purchased through a Dealer would be eligible.

Tesla needs to step up and tell Texas owners what to do--can we get paperwork or not. It's simple.

I searched the TCEQ website and can't find anything about how they will implement SB1727. The Emissions Reduction Plan page seems to predate this new law. I also couldn't find anything about EVs in the recent or pending rulemaking. The law requires dealers to distribute the rebate forms, but it's not clear this would be the only way to obtain a form or rebate. Unless Tesla pushes to make the process available without dealer participation, though, the need for it will never occur to them.

I searched the TCEQ website and can't find anything about how they will implement SB1727. The Emissions Reduction Plan page seems to predate this new law. I also couldn't find anything about EVs in the recent or pending rulemaking. The law requires dealers to distribute the rebate forms, but it's not clear this would be the only way to obtain a form or rebate. Unless Tesla pushes to make the process available without dealer participation, though, the need for it will never occur to them.

Sounds like another great govt program that one cannot participate due to govt bureaucracy--what a joke. $2500 gone.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do :wink:

I would think if I'm going to drop $100K, the Tesla store could answer my questions (as it pertains to 100% of their Texas buyers).

That's all.

I'm retired at 44, so life is good my friend no serious worries here :smile:

By law and regulation, the store is very limited on what they can say. Anything that smacks of 'selling' the car is verboten.

Understand, then Tesla should put it on their website, with VERY clear details and instructions. Again, just my .02--it's part of their pricing shtick, so help us out.

They are not even allowed to point you to the Tesla website in the stores even which is very sad.

I'm sure once it becomes clear what this rebate actually is and if Tesla qualifies for it they will point it out. It appears to be in a gray area now so I wouldn't count on getting it.

The rebate won't be available to anyone Sept. 1 as the rules haven't even been written yet. Here is the latest from TCEQ:

"With the 83rd Texas Legislature enacting Senate Bill 1727, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is revising the Light-Duty Motor Vehicle Purchase or Lease Incentive (LDPLI) Program to be a statewide program to provide financial incentives up to $2,500 for the purchase or lease of eligible new vehicles powered by compressed natural gas (CNG), liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), or electric drives (plug-in). In order to implement the LDPLI program TCEQ staff are currently in the process of developing rules for administering the program. These rule revisions are scheduled to be proposed on November 6, 2013 and adopted on April 9, 2014. The incentives for the revised LDPLI program are expected to be available beginning late spring of 2014 and will be subject to available funding.

The TCEQ is also responsible for compiling reports from vehicle manufacturers regarding LDPLI eligible vehicles and making that information available. Staff anticipates publishing the list of eligible LDPLI vehicles in the early spring 0f 2014.

For questions and updates regarding the LDPLI program, please contact Texas Emissions Reduction Plan (TERP) staff at 800-919-TERP (8377). In addition we are currently in the process of updating the LDPLI program web page at http://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/terp/ld.html with the latest information on the status of the program."

I asked if Tesla will be eligible for the incentive, as the car is purchased online (in California) rather than from a dealer, and haven't received a reply yet. That's probably because the proposed rules are still being written. Then if the proposed rules aren't Tesla-friendly, there is a 5 month period to lobby to get them changed before they're adopted.

I posted too soon. Here is the response about Tesla, and it is as we feared:

The way the LDPLI rules are currently written (30 TAC 114.612(c)):
Only one incentive will be provided for each eligible new light-duty motor vehicle purchased or leased in the state.

Only new vehicles sold in the state would be eligible for the LDPLI program. Unless Tesla is able to sell vehicles in Texas, these vehicles would not currently qualify.

So Tesla has an uphill climb to qualify-- it appears both the current rule would need to be changed (which didn't involve electric cars) and the rules to implement the new incentive would need to be written so that dealers could be bypassed. They need to be reminded of the goal-- it is called the Emissions Reduction Plan after all-- and Texans buying Teslas no matter where or how they're purchased would help meet that goal.

I posted too soon. Here is the response about Tesla, and it is as we feared:

The way the LDPLI rules are currently written (30 TAC 114.612(c)):
Only one incentive will be provided for each eligible new light-duty motor vehicle purchased or leased in the state.

Only new vehicles sold in the state would be eligible for the LDPLI program. Unless Tesla is able to sell vehicles in Texas, these vehicles would not currently qualify.

So Tesla has an uphill climb to qualify-- it appears both the current rule would need to be changed (which didn't involve electric cars) and the rules to implement the new incentive would need to be written so that dealers could be bypassed. They need to be reminded of the goal-- it is called the Emissions Reduction Plan after all-- and Texans buying Teslas no matter where or how they're purchased would help meet that goal.

Gotta love Texas law. I would think if you pay the sales tax, are a Texas resident and register it in Texas, that it should qualify (I understand it doesn't as of now).

Also, I'm assuming for new purchases after Sept 1, 2013, but you would not be able to 'apply' for it until April 2014?

Good follow-up also--thanks for posting. Not what we wanted to hear, but certainly gives clarification, and one can always try and see what happens.

I know this is an old thread... but it left a few open questions... these are now answered. No for Tesla. Direct copy from the PDFs on the LDPLI (State of TX) web site:

1.6 REQUIREMENTS Additional criteria that apply are discussed below.

a. The vehicle must be purchased or leased from a licensed new vehicle dealer or leasing company in Texas. Vehicles purchased directly from the manufacturer or an out-of-state dealer not licensed to sell or lease new vehicles in Texas are not eligible for a rebate.