Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I talked to my bank (University Federal Credit Union in Austin) the loan officer indicated that the bank takes care of all the title work and pays the taxes. He knows it's for a Model S. This seems contrary to what I have read in this tread. There should be no difference in the process because I am buying a CPO, right?

When I talked to my bank (University Federal Credit Union in Austin) the loan officer indicated that the bank takes care of all the title work and pays the taxes. He knows it's for a Model S. This seems contrary to what I have read in this tread. There should be no difference in the process because I am buying a CPO, right?

There may be LESS of an ordeal, mostly because your Model S (being a CPO) has been titled before, so it is probably already in another State's system. But you still need the car to be registered and titled in Texas.

You will need the car to have a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) in TEXAS if it not already in the state database.
You must provide proof of Liability Insurance when you title and register your vehicle.

The Texas Dept. of Motor Vehicles and the Texas Comptroller (at your local County) may have other (special) requirements.

Good luck with taking delivery of your car.

Side note: PLEASE make sure you have a NEMA 14/50 installed before you take delivery, or that will cause other unnecessary concern for having enough charge on-hand for your daily needs.
Relying solely on a charge from a 110V outlet will not be sufficient if you use your car for any amount of daily driving.

I was planning on having to fill out the title paperwork and go to the tax office myself, as the steps in the first post of this thread indicate, but I was wondering whether it is possible for the bank to do that for you. It seems like it wouldn't.

I just had my NEMA 14-50 installed today, so I am good there. I used to own a Leaf, so I am somewhat familiar with the requirements of an EV. I can't imagine how painful trickle charging a Model S would be. :confused:

Just registered/titled and paid taxes for my second Model S. Was in and out of the Preston street tax office in about 5 minutes (went at 8:15am and there was only 1 other person in line). Here is the address and hours:

Harris County Tax Office
Address: 1001 Preston St, Houston, TX 77002
Phone: (713) 274-8000
M-F 8a-430p

I asked my attendant if she had registered a Tesla before and she said yes! The taxes hurt a little more for this car--the look on the attendant's face was priceless when she saw the sticker price :eek:

This is all you need to bring to the tax office, along with information in parenthesis for things that Tesla might not have filled out for you:
  • DL
  • Insurance
  • Inspection Report
  • Checkbook
  • MCO (sign back)
  • Bill of Sale/MVPA
  • Title Application (fill in lien date, DL number, sign it, check Electronic Title Request, and put Lienholder ID: (Alliant is 36606677200)
  • (Phillips screw driver to install your new plates :D)

I asked my attendant if she had registered a Tesla before and she said yes! The taxes hurt a little more for this car--the look on the attendant's face was priceless when she saw the sticker price :eek:)

Yes my wallet was way lighter (paying my taxes) after I exited the building in less than 5 minutes...:p

But every time I get on the car and drive...I think to myself "Man it was worth it"

I am going to be moving from California to Texas early next year. My research indicates that because I purchased my car and paid sales tax here in California, when I register it in Texas I will not owe sales tax for the 2nd time..is that correct? Anyone here have experience registering a Tesla in TX after already having bought and registered it in another state? Thanks!!

I am going to be moving from California to Texas early next year. My research indicates that because I purchased my car and paid sales tax here in California, when I register it in Texas I will not owe sales tax for the 2nd time..is that correct? Anyone here have experience registering a Tesla in TX after already having bought and registered it in another state? Thanks!!
    • Sorry for the mangled formatting. :p
    • Visit a county tax assessor office.
    • Drivers cannot register car online in Texas.
    • Provide identification documents
    • Show proof of car insurance
  • Complete an Application for Texas Title (130-U) form, which handles titling and TX car registration
  • Present a Certificate of Inspection, depending on your county.
  • Pay the registration fees; base car registration fees are as follows:
  • Passenger cars or pickup trucks: $50.75

• Sorry for the mangled formatting. :p
    • Visit a county tax assessor office.
    • Drivers cannot register car online in Texas.
    • Provide identification documents
    • Show proof of car insurance
  • Complete an Application for Texas Title (130-U) form, which handles titling and TX car registration
  • Present a Certificate of Inspection, depending on your county.
  • Pay the registration fees; base car registration fees are as follows:
  • Passenger cars or pickup trucks: $50.75

Awesome, thank you.