Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: for the inspection, do I get a 2 yr sticker? I was just searching for a local inspection station, but nothing near my zip code could apparently issue a 2yr sticker for a new car. Will any station do?
I don't think you can get one. I went out of my way and spent an extra 45 min at a Cadillac dealership because they advertised a 2 year registration sticker but then said they're were not able to do it since they didn't sell the car (or some other excuse). It may have changed now but probably easier to just go to standard inspection station.

Got my plates today and it was really very painless (other than writing the sales tax cheque, but that was expected). Telsa had the paperwork correct so it seems like they've figured it out.

TEXAS NISSAN in Grapevine , TX , did the safety inspection , and yes , it was a 2 year sticker.
Does anyone know if the TESLA Personal delivery and Prep charges are part of the sale price of the car for application of TEXAS Title?

As far as I know, they are. I just took the paperwork that Tesla gave me to the county tax office and paid the tax. No problems.

Got my paperwork from Tesla this morning, went to the Tax office and paid sales tax, picked up my Vanity plates and got a 3 year registration sticker. Tesla definitely has it figured out. Painless. Picking up the car on Friday, so they can install the plate for me at the service center. I don't think I'll be able to sleep for the next 3 nights! Big Tesla :biggrin: !!!

Got my paperwork from Tesla this morning, went to the Tax office and paid sales tax, picked up my Vanity plates and got a 3 year registration sticker. Tesla definitely has it figured out. Painless. Picking up the car on Friday, so they can install the plate for me at the service center. I don't think I'll be able to sleep for the next 3 nights! Big Tesla :biggrin: !!!
There is no scenario where I call writing a $5-7K check to the Tax Assessor's office "painless," but congratulations anyway!

Congrats! Have fun!

There is no scenario where I call writing a $5-7K check to the Tax Assessor's office "painless," but congratulations anyway!

LOL, well almost "painless", just not as difficult as it has been in the past! Look at the bright side, CA taxes are higher than TX, so its not as bad as it could be:confused:

Congrats! Have fun!

Thanks! I will......its coming.....too........slowly

Does anyone have experience with the attorney S. Hooper in Houston who claims to have found a loophole to avoid sales tax on Teslas?
Very interesting! He says he will file on a contingency-basis, so there's not much risk: Practice Areas - Houston Personal Injury Attorney | Texas Personal Injury Lawyers | Houston Commercial Litigation | Scott Hooper Associates, Houston Texas

He now says that he's had many denials that are under appeal, so he's no longer accepting applications outside of Harris County.

Very interesting! He says he will file on a contingency-basis, so there's not much risk: Practice Areas - Houston Personal Injury Attorney | Texas Personal Injury Lawyers | Houston Commercial Litigation | Scott Hooper Associates, Houston Texas

He now says that he's had many denials that are under appeal, so he's no longer accepting applications outside of Harris County.

This will be interesting to know, does that mean we'll all get a rebate from Texas??? That would be awesome!

This will be interesting to know, does that mean we'll all get a rebate from Texas??? That would be awesome!
Yeah, wouldn't it? Since you're in Houston, you should give him a call... I didn't realize that Hydrogen powered vehicles were tax exempt:
Sec. 152.090. CERTAIN HYDROGEN-POWERED MOTOR VEHICLES. (a) In this section, "hydrogen-powered motor vehicle" means a vehicle that meets the Phase II standards established by the California Air Resources Board as of September 1, 2007, for an ultra low-emission vehicle II or stricter Phase II emission standards established by that board and:(1) is hydrogen power capable and has a fuel economy rating of at least 45 miles per gallon; or
(2) is fully hydrogen-powered.
(b) The taxes imposed by this chapter do not apply to the sale or use of a hydrogen-powered motor vehicle.

Added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1266, Sec. 10, eff. September 1, 2007.

TAX CODEÂ*Â*CHAPTER 152. TAXES ON SALE, RENTAL, AND USE OF MOTOR VEHICLES

I wonder if there's some creative use of "hydrogen power capable" -- e.g., if a hydrogen-powered generator were to be developed, it could fuel a BEV.

Bollar - I suspect you are right that Hooper's scheme is to claim the hydrogen exemption for Model S. I agree it's a stretch, but it's not the most aggressive tax avoidance plan I have seen. It will be interesting to see how this develops now that it would seem there have been enough applications to attract additional scrutiny. I have not yet decided what I will do, but will need to soon: I'm picking up on Friday in Houston.