Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Registration Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of a '21 Model X on December 1st and received the FedEx package about two weeks later. Okay, what do I do with the packet? I know that I'm supposed to go register it with some authority but has anyone had experience registering their Tesla during the pandemic?

Oh and I took delivery in Houston, Texas if that helps

Interesting...

As I recall, when we purchased our last Tesla in mid-2018, Tesla handled everything (probably outsourced through a 3rd party) when we picked up on our X from the north Houston service center.

For our first Tesla (S P85 in early 2012), Tesla didn't have any service centers in Texas at the time. They fedex-ed a package with the paperwork, and I took it to the country tax office to pay the sales tax and do the license plate registration.

Not a big deal...

Disappointing if Tesla has dropped back to having customers handle the registration (which could be to ensure they aren't viewed as doing direct sales in Texas).

I also took delivery of a 21 Model X in Houston in mid-December. I scheduled an appointment with the tax office at hctax. dot net. They are not accepting walk-ins and the earliest appointment was available in early Feb. You can make an appointment and learn more about the payment process on the website.
The registration process and not having any help regarding financing options have been my two disappointments with purchasing a Tesla in TX.

I also took delivery of a 21 Model X in Houston in mid-December. I scheduled an appointment with the tax office at hctax. dot net. They are not accepting walk-ins and the earliest appointment was available in early Feb. You can make an appointment and learn more about the payment process on the website.
The registration process and not having any help regarding financing options have been my two disappointments with purchasing a Tesla in TX.
Yeah I made an appointment too for February

The TX legislature only meets for 4 months every 2 years, and is starting a new session this month.

Previously, Tesla was a California company trying to direct sell in Texas - making it easier for the strong Texas dealership lobby to block legislation allowing direct sales (bypassing dealerships) in Texas.

But with the Gigafactory going up in Ausitn, SpaceX is south Texas, other Musk companies establishing a presence in Austin, Musk moving to Austin, and a strong possibility Tesla HQ could also move to Texas - Tesla is in a much stronger position to get direct sales this session, because it doesn't make sense for Tesla to build vehicles in Austin - and then have to ship them out of state before they can be returned to the state and sold online.

It's also very likely that this issue was discussed privately between Musk and the state leadership - and that Tesla will have leadership backing this time, especially so that Texas-built CyberTrucks - can be more easily sold in TX...

We should know more in the next two months as bills are filed and the committees start working on the bills.

Resurrecting this old thread instead of creating my own.
I'm a Houston, Texas resident and took delivery in September with a temporary license plate good until October 18.
Looking on the Harris County Tax Assessor's website, they want people to book an appointment, but the only one available is October 21.

I don't see an inspection certificate in the glove box, so I'll get that done first.
Questions:

1.) Is the appointment absolutely required? Can I walk in with the Tesla supplied paperwork and the inspection I get and get it done that way?
2.) If I don't get the registration completed by the 18th, can I be pulled over and ticketed or is there a grace period?

Thanks everyone! New to this site and Tesla, but loving both!!

Resurrecting this old thread instead of creating my own.
I'm a Houston, Texas resident and took delivery in September with a temporary license plate good until October 18.
Looking on the Harris County Tax Assessor's website, they want people to book an appointment, but the only one available is October 21.

I don't see an inspection certificate in the glove box, so I'll get that done first.
Questions:

1.) Is the appointment absolutely required? Can I walk in with the Tesla supplied paperwork and the inspection I get and get it done that way?
2.) If I don't get the registration completed by the 18th, can I be pulled over and ticketed or is there a grace period?

Thanks everyone! New to this site and Tesla, but loving both!!

Do new cars require inspection? I guess it can't hurt (ask for the emissions test lol).

The last time I was at the tax assessor's office (Travis), it was ummmm crowded. Like, "take a number and play Pokémon for awhile" crowded. The appointment requirement is probably to manage social distancing. IF they take walk-ins, it's probably first-come-first-serve to fill in no-shows.

My last new vehicle, I drove around with my 30-day tag for about 180 days due to a dispute with the dealership. It took at least 4 months before getting pulled over, and I got just a warning when I explained the situation. My advice would be to follow every other law to the letter to get you some benefit-of-doubt with the officer. It would also help to keep a box of doughnuts handy.

If you are in Harris county, go online and make an appointment with your county tax office and bring the inspection and the fedex package and a check and go register.

Do new cars require inspection? I guess it can't hurt (ask for the emissions test lol).

The last time I was at the tax assessor's office (Travis), it was ummmm crowded. Like, "take a number and play Pokémon for awhile" crowded. The appointment requirement is probably to manage social distancing. IF they take walk-ins, it's probably first-come-first-serve to fill in no-shows.

My last new vehicle, I drove around with my 30-day tag for about 180 days due to a dispute with the dealership. It took at least 4 months before getting pulled over, and I got just a warning when I explained the situation. My advice would be to follow every other law to the letter to get you some benefit-of-doubt with the officer. It would also help to keep a box of doughnuts handy.
It does say inspection required, so I guess I'll run by an inspection place and get it done.
Set an appointment on the 21st and hopefully not get pulled over in the meantime. Hate this process.

Reactions: CyberGus
We picked up our little Christmas gift up at the North Austin delivery location on 12/21/21. The inspection report was in the glovebox along with a second 30 day operating permit. In my experience you have to have an inspection report and proof of insurance before a permit will be issued. Perhaps some of your paperwork was misplace. Might be worth a call to the delivery dept.

We picked up our little Christmas gift up at the North Austin delivery location on 12/21/21. The inspection report was in the glovebox along with a second 30 day operating permit. In my experience you have to have an inspection report and proof of insurance before a permit will be issued. Perhaps some of your paperwork was misplace. Might be worth a call to the delivery dept.
Which office did you take your paperwork to? I just picked up my new X this week.