Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas set a wind energy record last month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Texas Sets New All-Time Wind Energy Record - Scientific American Blog Network

Wind provided 40 percent of Texas’s electricity for 17 straight hours one windy day in December
The latest record is news not only because wind provided nearly half of Texas’s electricity needs, but also that it did so for so many hours in a row.
The duration of the record is a big deal because it shows that the rest of the Texas grid can handle a whole lot of wind energy for an extended period of time without suffering instability or brownouts that some predicted.

Nice!

I just flew over Texas today at 38,000'. Clear sky. I could not believe how many wind turbines I could see! Thousands, and they were all turning. WTG Texas.

Amazing! That's so cool. Sounds like southern Alberta on a much larger scale; this Texan accomplishment is something everyone should aspire to. Unfortunately in Ontario (another province with turbines), the phrase "wind turbine" is synonymous with "bad politics" and "low property value" in Ontario, and that sentiment seems to spread like wildfire wherever wind turbines go. What is the situation like in Texas? Are the turbines near populated areas/farms or on public land? Are they pushed heavily by the government or just adopted by individuals and/or private companies?

I think 12% average generation, contributing to a state whose demand runs ~400TWH/year, is another impressive stat (not sure about '15, but possibly higher). Barring consideration for timing, my state could be entirely run by Texas' windmills.